• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
.....Only for those who actually went to Newport to watch the game ... but How did Ryan Auger play ?

Was he worth another look ? Did he give the ball away much ? Did he get forward much ? From what i've heard Prosser had a mare so should we stick with Auger for friday's match and put in White at centre back ?

I heard the game on the radio + Paul Clark was complimentary of our young right backs play , but what do our loyal away supporters think ?

Personally thought he played ok, however he did have a little more support than Coker did on the left hand side (where we had no mid field presence at all from where I sat)

However, he didnt look out of his depth, he did what I would expect from a Right Back. He got forward and also got a couple of crosses in.

He was my tip for a youngster to break through after West Ham friendly.

White should definatly go back in Friday, and has a lot too learn.
Although so does Jack Payne.
Ryan did look green against Newport (although to be expected)
Too me he did not get close enough to his man against Newport although he did not
have much protection from our midfield and was left with two palyers against him on a few occasions.
He definatly had a better game than Prosser.
One for the future but needs a little bit more steel and hardness in his game, but that will come with experience.

I thought he was caught out of position on the third goal, though he can't take all the blame as no one picked up the burly centre back in the middle either. Overall, the whole defence was poor with Kiernan being the best of a bad bunch.

He would certainly benfit with having a Phillips, Kiernan, or White to chivvy him along with constructive guidance...definately one for the future.

The problem for me was midfield, both Auger and Coker were left exposed or beaten countless times and I'd say the supposed right and left midfielders were more culpable than either of them. I really liked the way Auger slotted into the middle of defence when Kiernan got pulled out of position several times in the 2nd half. Auger had a much better 2nd half and I'm encouraged that he actually didn't look out of his depth at all.

Kiernan has played left central defence for us alongside Phillips, and alongside Prosser he switched to the right. This meant you had two very young and relatively inexperienced players playing alongside each other at RB and the right side of the two CB positions. Put Phillips in alongside Auger and I think he'd have looked a lot more comfortable from the start.

.....Only for those who actually went to Newport to watch the game ... but How did Ryan Auger play ?

Was he worth another look ? Did he give the ball away much ? Did he get forward much ? From what i've heard Prosser had a mare so should we stick with Auger for friday's match and put in White at centre back ?

I heard the game on the radio + Paul Clark was complimentary of our young right backs play , but what do our loyal away supporters think ?
From a newports fans point of view, he was your stand out player, as well as the keeper, who was outstanding except for the 1st goal. As for the left back, who scored a cracking free-kick, what a fool he must have felt after the game when gesturing at Newport fans when he scored the equaliser. In the second half he got skinned time after time and had a shocker except for the goal which was never a free kick in the 1st place. go on our forum and have a look of the video of the game:winking:

A nightmare match for a youngster to make his debut with so much dross around him.

To be honest I thought he was the third best "Ryan" on display but better than the best "Barry" and much better than the best "Luke".

I didn't think he had a great game. Came off the post to early for their second goal, and was too busy appealing for a foul (which it wasn't) rather than closing down the wide man for the third goal

Auger did well enough but as others have said, he had no support from either other defenders but particularly the midfield.
He did leave the post too early but that happens to the best and he could be forgiven thinking that Prosser or Kearnan or even Bentley would have dealt with the cross ball before it got right across the goal.
I would be confident of him playing Friday.
Auger was not to blame for the dross at Rodney Parade, I point the finger at Brown as anyone could see that Corr was strolling in midfield and leaving Woodrow to do any running. Corr had a first touch like a brick wall for the whole game and Hurst too was ineffective. Newport were content to play the ball sideways and gained confidence after the bloomer from Bentley for the opening goal and the lck of a goal threat from Southend.
The midfield was the problem at Newport and whether it was too congested with Corrs role or not I don't know but Mansfield are due a win and they could get it Friday unless Brown sorts the team system out:smile:

Looked a bit out of depth - but as others have said was left exposed by the almost non-existant midfield.

Would give him another go

On that basis, who are you going to replace Corr, Prosser, Clifford, Hurst and Atkinson with.

Well for starters I'd replace Clifford with Laird once Laird is available again. Laird was the first choice to partner Leonard in central midfield and Clifford hasn't done enough to displace him.

A capable deputy, but I'd expect White to immediately regain his place. The same with Mark Phillips at the expense of Kiernan - I'm aware he got rave reviews on this site after the last home game, but at Burton and Newport he's been given the runaround by their centre forwards.

I think Brown needs to look at the shape of the team as much as the players he picks.

Back