• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quite frankly Macca will never be a patch on Granty......

Macca unencumbered, paid and working with a team in which he had confidence was a tremendous asset to the side. Unfortunately too many have their memories tainted by the machinations going on in the background, which effected what went on on the pitch. I believe Grant has had the worst disciplinary record for the last two seasons, yet Macca remains the one who has taken most stick over discipline. It really is time people started giving credit and realising that players, including Macca, were very heavily affected by what was going on around, the midfield over the last two season was so completely unsettled it was virtually impossible to build any understanding, and anyway, the midfield was so often having to try and bolster the defence it was effectively a 2nd back line!

our 4-3-3 system needs, nay demands goals from the wingers/widemen could be the difference between sniffing a play off spot and mid table action

Surely this is very similar to how we were a few seasons ago with goals a plenty from Bailey and McCormack.

our 4-3-3 system needs, nay demands goals from the wingers/widemen could be the difference between sniffing a play off spot and mid table action

It needs goals from the midfield in total. When we're in possession, the two advanced central midfielders should always be looking at playing the wingers in behind the full-backs or having a shot on goal... It's up to the wingers to latch onto the through-balls and supply the frontman or have a strike on goal themselves.

This is something Ryan Hall needs to work on; his decision making. Latching on to Grant's through balls this weekend, his first touch was exemplary, yet he then either panicked or turned his back on goal as to not lose possession as defenders closed him down. He needs to get his head up and find the right pass. This will come with games, and on the glimpses he got past his man with a flash of skill, he carved open an opportunity for the team, it's just important he's persevered with.

Like Scannell, give him a run of games and he'll turn in to a very useful player for us, of that I'm sure. Unlike Scannell, he doesn't look like breaking down every 6 games.

Hall was class yesterday. A constant threat with his pace and crossing ability. If we can get Soares to step up his game a bit we are going to have a pretty dangerous attack.

you've got to love the comment saying "his second touch was always a tackle", that sums him up to a tee. Granty's ball-retention skills are superb, and as against Bradford he actually invites players to dive in because his technique allows him to step past and drive forward.

Also.. If he doesn't manage to get passed the player, he has great technique in getting a free kick.. Would be interesting to see stats on 'Free kicks won' for Grant as I'm sure it would be double figures for pretty much every game.

And I'm not saying he cheats and dives, just knows how to get the players to foul him without too much danger of injury! (now watch him get injured in the next game)

Also.. If he doesn't manage to get passed the player, he has great technique in getting a free kick.. Would be interesting to see stats on 'Free kicks won' for Grant as I'm sure it would be double figures for pretty much every game.

And I'm not saying he cheats and dives, just knows how to get the players to foul him without too much danger of injury! (now watch him get injured in the next game)

Indeed, its not a dark art... He just gets his body between player and ball.

To go back to Hall, I've only seen him against bradfrod and he obviously has the attributes, I agree with ESB that like Scannell it'll take him a run to find his feet and get used to the speed of league football. He didn't quite attack Bradford with purpose, but once he's settled in I expect him to be an excellent player for us

Macca unencumbered, paid and working with a team in which he had confidence was a tremendous asset to the side. Unfortunately too many have their memories tainted by the machinations going on in the background, which effected what went on on the pitch. I believe Grant has had the worst disciplinary record for the last two seasons, yet Macca remains the one who has taken most stick over discipline. It really is time people started giving credit and realising that players, including Macca, were very heavily affected by what was going on around, the midfield over the last two season was so completely unsettled it was virtually impossible to build any understanding, and anyway, the midfield was so often having to try and bolster the defence it was effectively a 2nd back line!

Surely this is very similar to how we were a few seasons ago with goals a plenty from Bailey and McCormack.

Being off his face down Mayhem nightclub on a regular basis could not have helped

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=36636&page=1#Item_0 these ratings are not good for macca either, I was a big macca fan btw shame he seemed to lose his edge for us, I thought/hoped charlton may awaken the macca of old

In fairness to Macca, he looks no worse than anyone else on the pitch there; according to the rankings shown.
I liked him as a player, though he was a reckless. IMO I don't think he would add much to us if he was here and probably think we are maybe even better of now.

I don't understand why certain posters can't go two days without slagging off Alan McCormack. It was annoying when he was here. It's just tedious now he's left. You don't rate him, we get it.

Quite frankly Macca will never be a patch on Granty......
Depends which Macca your talking about. when he first joined us and for a couple of seasons he was the first name on the team sheet. The latter Macca wasnt anywhere near the same player.

Back