• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Had what is one of our last liaison meetings with Steve Kavanagh yesterday, and I asked about contracts that are expiring. It'll be in the Minutes, but I am sure he won't mind me sharing that Lenny has a 1 year extension clause in his contract.

Bloody fantastic news, but I hope there will still be discussions on a new, improved one.

Had what is one of our last liaison meetings with Steve Kavanagh yesterday, and I asked about contracts that are expiring. It'll be in the Minutes, but I am sure he won't mind me sharing that Lenny has a 1 year extension clause in his contract.

Bloody fantastic news, but I hope there will still be discussions on a new, improved one.

Great news, cheers OBL!

Well that's put a spring in my step at work OBL, not appropriate for a funeral director though!

And a glowing report from a Plymouth rag ;

"THE CONTINUED success of midfielder Ryan Leonard is a constant reminder of the folly of Plymouth Argyle's decision to release him in the summer of 2011.
Leonard, now aged 24, made his 200th first team appearance for Southend in their 2-1 League One home win against Oxford United on Tuesday.
And he marked the occasion by scoring the opening goal, reaffirming his importance as one of the Shrimpers' key performers.
Leonard has twice won the club's Player of the Year award, including last season, and has been an ever present this term.

Born in Plymouth and a product of Argyle's youth set-up, it has been great to see, albeit from afar, the development and success of Leonard's career.
It is a shame, though, that it has come on the opposite side of the country, by the Essex seaside, rather than at Home Park.
Leonard made his one and only Argyle first team appearance as a substitute in a 1-0 home Championship defeat by Blackpool in March 2010.
Peter Reid took over as manager that summer, after the Pilgrims were relegated to League One, and did not use Leonard the following season, during which time the club plunged into administration.
Leonard was released that summer and, in hindsight, it was the best thing that could have happened to him.
Rather than being caught up in the financial chaos at Argyle, he earned a contract at Southend after impressing during a pre-season trial and has not looked back ever since.
Leonard has been successfully converted from a right-back to a central midfielder who must be one of manager Phil Brown's first names on the teamsheet each match.
During his time at Roots Hall, he has made a total of 180 starts and 20 substitute appearances, scoring 21 goals.
Leonard was promoted with Southend in 2015 after they won the League Two Play-Off Final at Wembley and has continued to excel at the higher level.
With 200 appearances under his belt for Southend, and at the still young age of 24, Leonard looks to have a bright future ahead of him.
Their gain has been very much Argyle's loss."

And a glowing report from a Plymouth rag ;

"THE CONTINUED success of midfielder Ryan Leonard is a constant reminder of the folly of Plymouth Argyle's decision to release him in the summer of 2011.
Leonard, now aged 24, made his 200th first team appearance for Southend in their 2-1 League One home win against Oxford United on Tuesday.
And he marked the occasion by scoring the opening goal, reaffirming his importance as one of the Shrimpers' key performers.
Leonard has twice won the club's Player of the Year award, including last season, and has been an ever present this term.

Born in Plymouth and a product of Argyle's youth set-up, it has been great to see, albeit from afar, the development and success of Leonard's career.
It is a shame, though, that it has come on the opposite side of the country, by the Essex seaside, rather than at Home Park.
Leonard made his one and only Argyle first team appearance as a substitute in a 1-0 home Championship defeat by Blackpool in March 2010.
Peter Reid took over as manager that summer, after the Pilgrims were relegated to League One, and did not use Leonard the following season, during which time the club plunged into administration.
Leonard was released that summer and, in hindsight, it was the best thing that could have happened to him.
Rather than being caught up in the financial chaos at Argyle, he earned a contract at Southend after impressing during a pre-season trial and has not looked back ever since.
Leonard has been successfully converted from a right-back to a central midfielder who must be one of manager Phil Brown's first names on the teamsheet each match.
During his time at Roots Hall, he has made a total of 180 starts and 20 substitute appearances, scoring 21 goals.
Leonard was promoted with Southend in 2015 after they won the League Two Play-Off Final at Wembley and has continued to excel at the higher level.
With 200 appearances under his belt for Southend, and at the still young age of 24, Leonard looks to have a bright future ahead of him.
Their gain has been very much Argyle's loss."

Nice to read an article like this and it not be in the Echo!

Leonard seem to be one of the best player on Fifa 17 as he always run the show when I played against anyone online! His goal against Oxford on Tuesday night are sort of goal I always score with Leonard on my PS4 lol

I hate to spoil the fun but I guess there will be question marks over this in the event of relegation (which even the most rose-tinted poster on here must admit is a serious possibility).

I hate to spoil the fun but I guess there will be question marks over this in the event of relegation (which even the most rose-tinted poster on here must admit is a serious possibility).

Very true. But in all honesty IF we win tomorrow then we will be closer to the promotion pack than the relegation fodder, such is the tightness of the league.

Just a little reminder....We will offer a new contract. This is however no guarantee that he will sign one. His agent will already be making plans to get lenny a big wage offer from other clubs, an offer we will not be able to match. Just looking ahead to the lenny has gone thread.

Just a little reminder....We will offer a new contract. This is however no guarantee that he will sign one. His agent will already be making plans to get lenny a big wage offer from other clubs, an offer we will not be able to match. Just looking ahead to the lenny has gone thread.

Yeah, thanks for cheering me up, you ray of sunshine.

Yeah, thanks for cheering me up, you ray of sunshine.

Hey just predicting the oh so predictable shrimpermoan.com.
Lenny one of those players that has really turned my opinion. First couple of seasons here he was not a regular in the side....as a right back. Thought we could do much better happy to get rid. Then converted into a good centre mid by Mr Brown I believe.....cue the moaners

Hey just predicting the oh so predictable shrimpermoan.com.
Lenny one of those players that has really turned my opinion. First couple of seasons here he was not a regular in the side....as a right back. Thought we could do much better happy to get rid. Then converted into a good centre mid by Mr Brown I believe.....cue the moaners

Sturrock converted him to a midfielder (the only times he's actually played right-back for us has actually been under Brown) blooding him in wide midfield.

He's someone we should be talking to about now about extending, before he hits the open market.

Sturrock converted him to a midfielder (the only times he's actually played right-back for us has actually been under Brown) blooding him in wide midfield.

He's someone we should be talking to about now about extending, before he hits the open market.

He played games under sturrock.at right back. And a couple out wide out of necessity. Brown played him centrally first.

He played games under sturrock.at right back. And a couple out wide out of necessity. Brown played him centrally first.

Sturrock wanted him in midfield as far back as the first Madrid tour- I remember talking to him about at the match at Real Madrids training ground.

Not first team games.

Other than his habit of getting sent off against Bradford, the excellent Clohessy was ever present for three seasons.

Leonard was used almost entirely in midfield by Sturrock. I say almost entirely, because he actually had one game up front (away at Rotherham?).

Ryan Leonard played wide right midfield under Sturrock in his first season and may not have been totally convincing in that role as his appearance as a sub in the away leg of the Crewe play off was not well received by Southend fans that were present.
Certainly not the first Southend player to be initially unpopular then change people's minds.
Personally I prefer to make an initial negative judgement on a player, ideally before he's even played for us, even better if I can base it on the opinion of someone's mate who once saw him play for a previous club, and then I will steadfastly refuse to change my opinion regardless of the evidence.
ps extension clauses usually work in the clubs favour i.e. club can automatically trigger it

Ryan Leonard played wide right midfield under Sturrock in his first season and may not have been totally convincing in that role as his appearance as a sub in the away leg of the Crewe play off was not well received by Southend fans that were present.
Certainly not the first Southend player to be initially unpopular then change people's minds.

Personally I prefer to make an initial negative judgement on a player, ideally before he's even played for us, even better if I can base it on the opinion of someone's mate who once saw him play for a previous club, and then I will steadfastly refuse to change my opinion regardless of the evidence.

ps extension clauses usually work in the clubs favour i.e. club can automatically trigger it

With comments like those I am looking forward to you lightening up the dark months that beckon :)

Back