• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Ryan Leonard is voted Southend United's player of the decade

IMO , Ryan would of been an average player in any other decade , just shows what a poor decade it has been .

Good player and all that but the player of the decade was Bilel.

He's the one people will still be telling their grandchildren about in 50 years' time.

IMO , Ryan would of been an average player in any other decade , just shows what a poor decade it has been .
Completely disagree. Leonard would have been a fantastic midfielder for us in any decade. He was a brick wall in front of our defence for many years. One of my favourite every Southend players.

Still trying to remember how many goals were actually scored from ryans last minute long throws?? In fact did we ever score from his throw ins at any stage of a match lol a hard working player!! But seriously overrated and looks like it wont be long until hes back playing in leagues 1&2

Still trying to remember how many goals were actually scored from ryans last minute long throws?? In fact did we ever score from his throw ins at any stage of a match lol a hard working player!! But seriously overrated and looks like it wont be long until hes back playing in leagues 1&2

Overrated? Really? Some people have short memories.

Long admired by Gary Rowett, Ryan has just returned to fitness and is expected by many to be a key player for him at Millwall, who are 11th in the table and progressing nicely - but sure, won't be long till he's back to L1 or L2 with us..

I would suggest that having been signed by the man tipped to be LMA manager of the year shortly before becoming another Championship side's record signing means it's you underrating him rather than him being overrated.

A player whose class we probably we won't be blessed to witness in a blue shirt anytime soon.

Personally thought Bentley should have been given the award, but Leonard is the only other player I would have given it to.

Without any shadow of a doubt the correct decision - memorable goals and great defensive work, level headed and reliable - the kind of bloke you want on your side.

Yep the only player that deserves this, consistency in his performances and loyal to the club when needed:Thumbs up:

Who would you have gone for then?

Without any shadow of a doubt the correct decision - memorable goals and great defensive work, level headed and reliable - the kind of bloke you want on your side.

Echo the above. Top class player for us. Well deserved.

Well deserved in my opinion. These kinds of awards are not always based on ability only, or if you had a one off season where the player banged in a load of goals. These awards are about more than that.

Firstly, to be player of the decade, you surely need to have played a number of years in that decade. Ryan gave us six loyal years. Of which he won numerous player of the season awards.

Secondly, it's all the other things a player might bring to the table. Leading by example, grit, passion, determination etc. Lenny had those in abundance!

Leonard reminds me of Jordan Henderson in many ways. The unsung hero. Henderson could possibly win the player of the season this year, not because of his quality (Salah, Mané, Van Dijk are all better) but because of attributes like the ones mentioned above.

Yes Mohsni excited me more and Bentley was always destined for better things, but Lenny deserved it above all in my opinion and we miss him terribly.

Well done Lendog!

Back