• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any other Ryman league footy fans out there?

As the Premier$hite continues to become more money obsessed and predictable I've started to get more into non league footy.

I enjoy going to Maldon Town or Heybridge Swifts if staying at my parents and went to Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday.

I think going to non league games is more fun than going to watch the Premier$hite any day of the week.

When I have to explain to ex-pats about the quality of football at CD Jávea - whether on radio or in the media or simply in the pub - I say that whilst it's technically at Conference level in the structure of the Spanish league system, the quality is probably Ryman League because whilst the football might not score high on the entertainment scale, the passion and commitment is off the scale. Much to my surprise, a lot of people who now come to CD Jávea have never been to a **live** football game before, having been more used to the sterile sh!te that is often served up in SKY TV Premiersh!te League, and absolutely love the passion of Preferente football, irrespective of the quality of football on the pitch. The general ambience is great, certainly far more community-spirited (and that applies whether you're in England or Spain). Oh! and you can drink on the terraces!!

WS

Xabia, I think the community spirit is what I like most about non-league football, it's generally a lot less hostile than league games and you can turn up and talk to anyone, have a beer in the bar after with both home and away fans, and even the chairman.

Sounds like I would enjoy the CD Javea experience.

I've been to many non-league games this year - it's great fun, most teams don't care if you drink pitchside, you can change ends at half time, anyone can beat everyone and the food is usually great!

My local haunts are Billericay Town (including Chelmsford games) and Wivenhoe Town (just up the road from my uni..!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shepherd's Bush Shrimper @ Nov. 10 2005,18:13)]Sounds like I would enjoy the CD Javea experience.
Fifteen minutes before kick-off. Get a few beers in!!

day12.jpg

See this happening at Roots Hall?!

biggrin.gif

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Nov. 10 2005,17:22)]I've been to many non-league games this year - it's great fun, most teams don't care if you drink pitchside, you can change ends at half time, anyone can beat everyone and the food is usually great!

My local haunts are Billericay Town (including Chelmsford games) and Wivenhoe Town (just up the road from my uni..!)
Harlow Town - Best food

Barkingside - Absolute Shat
biggrin.gif

The food served at Burnham Ramblers always goes down well.

My brother plays' for the Under 18's so I watch there home matches after I've finished my game and had a couple of pints
tounge.gif

I try to take in a local game if I am on holiday during a football season. I haven't been paticularly successful but Clachnaccudin from the Highland League and Cobh Ramblers (irish 1st) now have another fan.

Cobh despite being 4th in the Irish first (they now are 2nd with only two matches left and look like getting promotion to the premier league) had a conference atmosphere in the game I saw against galway. There were more fans in attendance the follwing wednesday for the friendly against scunthorpe !!

Highland league, probably Rymans first attendances, funnily enough though they seem to be around the same as the scottish third and some 2nd div games

It's a great regret of mine that I didn't get to more Scottish non-league games during my uni years in Scotland.

My parents live in Burnham now and I enjoy going down to the Leslie Field Ground when I can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Nov. 11 2005,14:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Nov. 10 2005,17:22)]My local haunts are Billericay Town (including Chelmsford games) and Wivenhoe Town (just up the road from my uni..!)
Hopefully abusing Mr Wignall - in the verbal sense I mean.
biggrin.gif
Yes. When I went there on Tuesday I booed him tremendously as he walked past on his way to the dugout.

Not been to any Essex Senior League sides yet, though I may wander down to AFC Hornchurch on Tuesday.

I follow AFC Wimbledon from here in Holland (started supporting SUFC because of my girlfriend who is a Shrimper). Until now I've come over 7 times from Holland to visit an AFCW game. I love the football and the atmosphere there.

Back