• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sacked Managers 2018/19

Seems harsh. The club didn't exactly invest much or in any great quality of player (much akin to Huddersfield). Relying on a 35 year as main striker was always going to prove problematic.

I always think it's better to see what the fans think rather than just assume that since he's kept them up everything must have been going well. Results only tell you so much and the fans can often tell when a manager has lost it before the results do. (I remember a lot of neutrals felt us sacking PB was stupid and he should have been given time to get us out of the rut, but I doubt many Southend fans feel that way, plus a lot of fans seem to be against Kevin Bond being appointed despite him keeping us up). Looking at their forum it's about 50/50 in terms of if fans feel it's the right decision, although they aren't happy that he won't get a proper send off because of the timing.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ate-effect&s=6d650f1a9870fe1f177ce34d1845fbfd

I always think it's better to see what the fans think rather than just assume that since he's kept them up everything must have been going well. Results only tell you so much and the fans can often tell when a manager has lost it before the results do. (I remember a lot of neutrals felt us sacking PB was stupid and he should have been given time to get us out of the rut, but I doubt many Southend fans feel that way, plus a lot of fans seem to be against Kevin Bond being appointed despite him keeping us up). Looking at their forum it's about 50/50 in terms of if fans feel it's the right decision, although they aren't happy that he won't get a proper send off because of the timing.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ate-effect&s=6d650f1a9870fe1f177ce34d1845fbfd

Charlton are a great example of fans getting it spot on. Remember the famous "Curbishley has taken us as far as he can" They had just finished 7th in the PL.

Clearly I’m in the minority because I wasn’t shouting for Phil to be sacked and I’m more than happy for Bond to get the nod.
He could be a tremendous manager at league one level. I see him as a Sturrock type manager with a book full of contacts.
We were headed for the basement and he done enough to keep us up, just.
But just is fine with me and it was for everybody else after the Sunderland game. Seems like a nice bloke as well which I appreciate isn’t important but he ain’t Evans is he.

Another odd decision, I wouldn't consider making the play offs a bad season for them. Their hardly a solid division one outfit, so shouldn't be too disappointed at their failure to get promoted.

Another odd decision, I wouldn't consider making the play offs a bad season for them. Their hardly a solid division one outfit, so shouldn't be too disappointed at their failure to get promoted.

Another chairman with a 5 year plan, who thinks his club should be in the Championship. They have spent money in recent seasons

Not a sacking but Swansea manager Graham Potter to be appointed as Brighton new boss. Not sure he will be an improvement on Hughton.

Not a sacking but Swansea manager Graham Potter to be appointed as Brighton new boss. Not sure he will be an improvement on Hughton.

Very odd appointment.

Graham Potter worked wonders at first club Östersund (who were then 4th Division). He won three promotions and the Swedish Cup with Östersund, also lead them to the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League knockout stage .

Very odd appointment.
He was heavily rumoured to be coming within hours of Houghton being sacked. He's got a very good reputation, as cerbera said he got a 4th division Swedish side into the Europa League and by all accounts overachieved with a weak Swansea side that had offloaded all their best players without buying replacements, Swansea actually offered him a new deal to try and keep him which would have made him one of the highest paid managers in the league.

Back