• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sad news for Sammy the Shrimp

The Watermill Wino

Coach Guru⭐
It's with great sadness and with a slight tear in my eye that I have to inform you that Robin Duncan the guy who started off Sammy the Shrimp has passed away.

His years and years of involvement at Southend United with Sammy and hundreds of charity events and openings means we have lost a brave and True Southend fan and Hero. Unfortunately Robin had been suffering for a long time with Crohn's disease which meant that he was in great pain and discomfort but still carried on as best he could.

Sammy and now Elvis are still in the family as Robin recruited his kin to step in for him and some of you will remember when he turned up last year at SoL Day at Wat Tyler and what a hit Sammy and Elvis were.

R.I.P

It's with great sadness and with a slight tear in my eye that I have to inform you that Robin Duncan the guy who started off Sammy the Shrimp has passed away.

His years and years of involvement at Southend United with Sammy and hundreds of charity events and openings means we have lost a brave and True Southend fan and Hero. Unfortunately Robin had been suffering for a long time with Crohn's disease which meant that he was in great pain and discomfort but still carried on as best he could.

Sammy and now Elvis are still in the family as Robin recruited his kin to step in for him and some of you will remember when he turned up last year at SoL Day at Wat Tyler and what a hit Sammy and Elvis were.

R.I.P

R.I.P Robin

what a legend he was at the race at the col u game, R.I.P, Sammy will never be the same again without Robin

xxx

RIP Robin,

Really nice bloke, Got chatting to him quite a bit when he used to do the pre-match music in the South Upper.

Fourthed. Good idea.

Will someone contact the club to make sure it happens?

Fithened

if i may ask myself, no direspect or anything

but i feel we should have a minutes applause to celebrate his life instead of a minutes silence to mourne his death

im sure he would have liked people to be happy and celebrate his life and remember the good times in his life rather than the bad

???

I'm not really too sure what to write here, but having known Robin for a number of years I was very saddened to hear of this tragedy. It is rare in today's world that you meet thoroughly good, down to earth guys. Robin was most certainly one of them. As stated in the first post, Robin has been battling illness for a number of years, however rarely did you ever hear him complain. He was courageous throughout and he will be sorely missed.

It should also be noted for those who may not know him, that although this thread is titled in favour of Sammy, Robin also performed many other roles for the club over the years as well. He was involved in the pre-match and half time music for many many years. (And he'll tell you it was only when he left that people started to complain about the music!! :) ) With music being one of his main passions, this role was a pretty perfect match with his other passion, SUFC.

He also worked on Match Days with the helping of the kids mascots, showing kids and their parents where to go, helping them find their seats, making sure they got all the autographs from favourite players etc. Even in this role, he made sure that every child and parent had had a wonderful time by the time they had taken their seats for the game.

While performing duties for the costume mascots, he would often drive the length of the country to put the good name of SUFC on the map. Events including the Mascot Grand National, I recall random Mascot events at the Reebok and Pride Park Stadium only a few years ago while also the less glamourous places like Gay Meadow just so SUFC had a presence on the National stage. While I also believe he was under the costume for when they filmed Sammy for the FA Cup adverts a couple of years ago too.

He performed these activities in his own time and more often than not, out of his own pocket. He really was just like one of those guys you read about in the paper, who did so much for their club with little reward.

He really knew how to tell a good story too. On any away day, there would always be a story behind the last time he'd been to this ground. SUFC was a big big passion of his.

He was a real joker too, half the time you never knew when he was serious or joking, so you always had to be on your guard not to be caught out! He will be sorely missed.

RIP Robin.

I'm not really too sure what to write here, but having known Robin for a number of years I was very saddened to hear of this tragedy. It is rare in today's world that you meet thoroughly good, down to earth guys. Robin was most certainly one of them. As stated in the first post, Robin has been battling illness for a number of years, however rarely did you ever hear him complain. He was courageous throughout and he will be sorely missed.

It should also be noted for those who may not know him, that although this thread is titled in favour of Sammy, Robin also performed many other roles for the club over the years as well. He was involved in the pre-match and half time music for many many years. (And he'll tell you it was only when he left that people started to complain about the music!! :) ) With music being one of his main passions, this role was a pretty perfect match with his other passion, SUFC.

He also worked on Match Days with the helping of the kids mascots, showing kids and their parents where to go, helping them find their seats, making sure they got all the autographs from favourite players etc. Even in this role, he made sure that every child and parent had had a wonderful time by the time they had taken their seats for the game.

While performing duties for the costume mascots, he would often drive the length of the country to put the good name of SUFC on the map. Events including the Mascot Grand National, I recall random Mascot events at the Reebok and Pride Park Stadium only a few years ago while also the less glamourous places like Gay Meadow just so SUFC had a presence on the National stage. While I also believe he was under the costume for when they filmed Sammy for the FA Cup adverts a couple of years ago too.

He performed these activities in his own time and more often than not, out of his own pocket. He really was just like one of those guys you read about in the paper, who did so much for their club with little reward.

He really knew how to tell a good story too. On any away day, there would always be a story behind the last time he'd been to this ground. SUFC was a big big passion of his.

He was a real joker too, half the time you never knew when he was serious or joking, so you always had to be on your guard not to be caught out! He will be sorely missed.

RIP Robin.

Outstanding tribute Einstein, Robin really was an unsung hero, when his costume got damaged he just had it repaired and got on with it. He'll grumble that he had to pay out but just got on with it regardless. His son still does the music for Southend and seems to have Robins enthusiastic passion for Southend and music.
As for his humour he did indeed reveal when he was in the mascot races he knew he had no chance of winning ( lets face it Sammy wasn't really bulit for speed ) so he looked to who he could push over instead, this lead to (amongst the mascoteers) who would finish last of which is still fought for today.
A real loss for Southend indeed.
RIP Robin

Back