• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Safe Terracing

All seater or some terracing at FF?

• All seater

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Safe Terrace & Seats

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twobob

Fan since 66
Just been reading an article by Matt Slater on the BBC website on falling season ticket sales in the Premier League and he made comment about how it compares against the Bundesliga -

"... Overall attendances have declined for the last two seasons ... and the Bundesliga, with its safe terraces, cheap tickets and customer-friendly approach to mid-game refreshments, is now the best-attended football league in the world. It is also the most profitable..."

This got me thinking about FF, if it is built does it have to be all seater or can "safe terracing" be used in certain areas? I'm not entirely sure what requirements there are now. Would you want to see the return of terracing?

I would be in favour for no other reason than many fans seem to stand anyway, though no so much the home fans at RH.

As I get older I feel far less inclined (or able) to stand for well over two hours, no matter how entertaining / exciting the match is. So I much prefer to sit. However, I do think there should be standing areas within grounds for those that want to, and I do think that they seem to generate more of an atmosphere.

I'm with Leighdad on this. Saturday is going to be hard for me and I will end up having to sit on the deck at some point just to ease my back. Prefer to sit nowadays but wouldn't mind terracing making a return.

No new stadium can incorporate terracing under the terms of the Taylor Report so right now it isn't an option.

I would love to stand for game, unfortunately I never got the chance to experience terracing...so would love to see atmosphere of it, although def understand that it not for every one, being some people suffer with disability/injuries etc..

new stadiums must be safe for all due to hillsbrough and the taylor report... standing in so called safe areas in a stadium can only happen if it becomes home members season ticket holders yet doubt if even that would be passed unless crowds really drop low as to make clubs reduce seat prices there would be no need...

Doesn't Morecambes new ground have terracing?

indeed it does - for home and away fans.

as_il_%280%29-78.jpg

Id never go into a terrace but I cant seen any reason why there couldnt be limited standing behind the goals etc as long as they were strictly controlled.

The atmosphere/disappearence of football culture began to decline along with the demolition of the terraces and the inception of the premier league. The reintroduction of terracing, albeit safe standing, would not only improve the atmosphere at most grounds but also make our beloved game more accessible to local grassroots/working-class fans. I started going to Roots Hall in the early 90's and the songs/atmosphere/banter generated by the home and away fans at the bigger matches would **** over anything in this country today. Southend v West Ham in '93 was absolutely spine-tingling! However, despite the growing numbers of people who are standing, terracing at football grounds as we knew them just won't happen, unfortunately! I really bemoan what has happened to our beloved game, in terms of soul, atmosphere, it's a pale imitation of what it used to be.

Back