• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sailing to Gillingham (II)

Reading Shrimper

First XI
Back to the idea of sailing to Gillingham away...
Although it seems sailing from the Pier is dead in the water, apparently it's possible to take the train/bus/car to Tilbury and catch the ferry that runs every half hour to Gravesend, then a bus/train to Gillingham!

wow.gif

Won't it be a bit cold?
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Ahh the good old days when Tilbury Riverside had a station - well it was good for Gillingham away anyway
biggrin.gif
. The downside was getting a late train when p%&sed from Fenny on the Tilbury loop line, most of which bypassed the Riverside except the late ones.

I'm surprised the station remained open for as long as it did. Took a nostalgic trip back three or four years ago. In its derelict state it was actually nicer than when I remembered it.
biggrin.gif

Thing is though, it just seems like so much more hassle doing it that way. It would be good though!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 14 2005,08:26)]Ahh the good old days when Tilbury Riverside had a station - well it was good for Gillingham away anyway
biggrin.gif
. The downside was getting a late train when p%&sed from Fenny on the Tilbury loop line, most of which bypassed the Riverside except the late ones.

I'm surprised the station remained open for as long as it did. Took a nostalgic trip back three or four years ago. In its derelict state it was actually nicer than when I remembered it.
biggrin.gif
The close proximity of The Worlds End Pub, and a drinking den called The Bomb Crater had something to do with the late closing of Riverside. Spent many a happy evening freezing my arse off waiting for the last train with a skinful of Guinness on board.

Made that journey to/from Gillingham a few times. Have to say that the attarction of Gillingham has not improved with age.

Back