• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sainsburys vs Tescos in Southend

Jam_Man

Life President
Just read in the Standard that a new Tescos is being planned for the old B&Q Site.

You can see the importance of the Roots Hall site even more now.

Tescos will have two big shiny new stores within a few miles of each other so its vital for Sainsburys to open a new store to keep any sort of presence in the town.

Surely a good thing for the project....

If I recall correctly JM ..Tesco's were the first supermarket to try and buy RH..I seem to remember they pumped in a million once that had to be paid back by Vic when he did not get planning.

An interesting snippet I was told on Saturday was that it's Sainsburys v Waitrose as well, as Waitrose are one of two other parties ready to step in if Sainsburys pull out (I'd guess the other was Tescos).

If I recall correctly JM ..Tesco's were the first supermarket to try and buy RH..I seem to remember they pumped in a million once that had to be paid back by Vic when he did not get planning.

When was that?

That may explain the difference in valuation from the price Jobson had it valued in the accounts at, and the price Martin Dawn paid for it.

It was during the time Vic was looking for planning approval...he then went on to his I will move SUFC to Basildon speech,he had already taken the money from Tesco's at the time IRRC and then had to pay it back after planning was denied.

Does anyone else think this is like Quadrophenia but with rival supermarkets instead of rival youth cultures?

I see Sainsburys as the Mods and Tesco as the Rockers.

From what I understood was that the Current Sainsburys will be closed down once the Roots Hall Store is open. The Sainsburys site in Southend will become an area for resturants with al fresco dinning and lesuire areas (extending on what is already becoming a resturant promande.

From what I understood was that the Current Sainsburys will be closed down once the Roots Hall Store is open. The Sainsburys site in Southend will become an area for resturants with al fresco dinning and lesuire areas (extending on what is already becoming a resturant promande.

Yep. Spot on.

Not quite, as i understand it the planning peemission for roots hall is dependant on sainsburys keeping a store in its current place. Whether they are allowed to downsize it however i dont know so it may end up rhe size of tesco metro.

Not quite, as i understand it the planning peemission for roots hall is dependant on sainsburys keeping a store in its current place. Whether they are allowed to downsize it however i dont know so it may end up rhe size of tesco metro.

Not at all...when they went to the council with RM to guarantee their 3 mill for roads etc...they were given permission to develop the London Road site.

Ali Babas is going to look a bit out of place then!

Just read in the Standard that a new Tescos is being planned for the old B&Q Site.

You can see the importance of the Roots Hall site even more now.

Tescos will have two big shiny new stores within a few miles of each other so its vital for Sainsburys to open a new store to keep any sort of presence in the town.

Surely a good thing for the project....

is this proven? surley it would be denied by the office of fair trading of owning a monoply of the town ? or whatever office it is. As Asda just brought out Nettos and having to wait for a answer, i believe it willhardly increase there marketshare as tescos by far own that with all there supermarkets and metros

to me it is clear...

sainsbury's need a site in southend to compete with that corner store called tescos (along with the tescos extra that will bulldoze focus & the old b&q).

the b&q development is not new news & infact has been scaled down just to a store without the housing development (its has all been there in the local rags over many months).

there is only one 'brown field site' within southend town centre to compete with this ie roots hall. this is why sainsbury's are hell bent on securing the site (sufc = happy days).

no sainsbury are not a charity but to compete with their biggest rivals they are prepared & obviously able to prop us up finacially (more happy days) & get their 'golden calf'.

this may not be popular but rm clearly new he was sitting on a golden calf mine & has used sainsbury. sainsbury of course are very happy to be used assuming they get their store on rh.

discuss & reply

to me it is clear...

sainsbury's need a site in southend to compete with that corner store called tescos (along with the tescos extra that will bulldoze focus & the old b&q).

the b&q development is not new news & infact has been scaled down just to a store without the housing development (its has all been there in the local rags over many months).

there is only one 'brown field site' within southend town centre to compete with this ie roots hall. this is why sainsbury's are hell bent on securing the site (sufc = happy days).

no sainsbury are not a charity but to compete with their biggest rivals they are prepared & obviously able to prop us up finacially (more happy days) & get their 'golden calf'.

this may not be popular but rm clearly new he was sitting on a golden calf mine & has used sainsbury. sainsbury of course are very happy to be used assuming they get their store on rh.

discuss & reply

Agree with all that.

I shall also be borrowing the phrase "golden calf mine" and trying to use it liberally from now on.

YB
'golden calf mine' is yours - have it - i no longer care - i'm just throwing the cat another gold fish - hang the expense...

...sorry its been along weekend (doesnt sound quiet right doest it...)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

cricko

re first supermarket to be 'interested' in rh ironically IIRC it was sainsburys when bill rubin sighted the idesa of selling the south bank carpark & poss the banck end of the 15,000 capacity south bank (filled to for the LFC fa cup match)

PS i'm male - so stop it!

cricko

re first supermarket to be 'interested' in rh ironically IIRC it was sainsburys when bill rubin sighted the idesa of selling the south bank carpark & poss the banck end of the 15,000 capacity south bank (filled to for the LFC fa cup match)

PS i'm male - so stop it!

Sorry Miss ;)...I thought it was Tesco's :unsure: but you have the dates about right so I will bow down to your greater knowledge.

Back