• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saint & Greavsie (ITV)

cerbera45

Coach⭐
After today's very sad passing of Ian St John I just wondered what are people's memories of the show? I seem to recall The Saint rooting for Tranmere Rovers and Greavsie plugging our very own Southend United. Friday night football at The Hall meant more often than not we got a mention on the Saturday lunchtime show.

I could not understand why such a popular programe like Saint and Greavsie was taken off .

During the Barry Fry years Greavsie was a big Southend supporter. He is good friends with Fry who was Jimmy's manager at Barnet and Danny was head youth coach at the time. I remember Jimmy bought the sports brand Bukta when I was at school and my mate Robbo (his grandson) bought us in a load of gear he was in talks with Vic about doing our kit as well, obviously never happened.

After today's very sad passing of Ian St John I just wondered what are people's memories of the show? I seem to recall The Saint rooting for Tranmere Rovers and Greavsie plugging our very own Southend United. Friday night football at The Hall meant more often than not we got a mention on the Saturday lunchtime show.

Yes, used to really enjoy that programme and we did get decent coverage thanks to Greavsie.

I could not understand why such a popular programe like Saint and Greavsie was taken off .

With the sudden advent of the Premier League and Sky, they were dead in the water as they no longer had rights to show "First Division" games, which up until then were on ITV. It was a Saturday lunchtime ritual for me and the added bonus our highlights would tend to feature if we had a Friday night home game.

With the sudden advent of the Premier League and Sky, they were dead in the water as they no longer had rights to show "First Division" games, which up until then were on ITV. It was a Saturday lunchtime ritual for me and the added bonus our highlights would tend to feature if we had a Friday night home game.

Interesting that Football Focus now shows highlights (ie goals) of Prem games in the week.

I haven't seen Focus for years but I thought being a BBC show would mean they have the EPL footage anyway?

One more thing on S&G, they really were the trend setters for the light-hearted football shows which followed such as Fantasy Football and Soccer AM. I recall Baddiel and Skinner used to riff on S&G not having access to the Prem, thus having to focus on Division 1, talking about Grimsby or Ricky Otto usually being a punchline.

I actually recall having their illustrated autobiography as a kid "Football, it's a funny old game", 10 year old me found it to be the funniest book he'd ever read. Especially Greavsies anecdote about playing for England at the Maracana and a dog ****ing on his shirt or the time later in his career at West Ham he went out on a massive ****-up in Blackpool before an FA Cup game and they got stuffed 4-0 as a result.

I haven't seen Focus for years but I thought being a BBC show would mean they have the EPL footage anyway?

One more thing on S&G, they really were the trend setters for the light-hearted football shows which followed such as Fantasy Football and Soccer AM. I recall Baddiel and Skinner used to riff on S&G not having access to the Prem, thus having to focus on Division 1, talking about Grimsby or Ricky Otto usually being a punchline.

I actually recall having their illustrated autobiography as a kid "Football, it's a funny old game", 10 year old me found it to be the funniest book he'd ever read. Especially Greavsies anecdote about playing for England at the Maracana and a dog ****ing on his shirt or the time later in his career at West Ham he went out on a massive ****-up in Blackpool before an FA Cup game and they got stuffed 4-0 as a result.

No (as I said) they show the goals from the mid-week Prem .games.I try and watch it when I can and certainly saw it on Sat.

One of my best mates is Greavsies grandson and he actually has Jimmys cap from that game. Remember as kids whenever I went round his house asking to look at it haha

Back