• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Salford City 3-0 Southend United

Seriously worried about where we are going. I don’t want to blame MM, but as others have said..8 players in and numerous back room staff, playing in a lower league and that is now 10 games in league and cups without a win.

He talks about a long term plan, but are we happy to give him time to get us relegated for the first time out of the football league in our history, I for one am not.

I just do not see where the next win is coming from!!!

i am afraid there was too much incompetence out there ...

Throw ins alone show a badly coached team with a lack of attention to detail

The shifting around of players - show someone who does know what hes doing -

Football is ruthless - we should have had a penalty - but the passing it out from the back looked mental - putting inexperienced young players under too much pressure in possesion.

I am not sure where the MM fan club is now but these are not SUFC kids out there any more - they are MM recruits walking around as if SUFC is not good enough for them ...

Oxley - Wiggy is right

I woud call Tilson now.

We don't close down, we pass backwards more than forwards. If the ball does go up the pitch we are shut out immediately. Sterling didn't win a header all night. We had nobody running the channels, nobody running at their men down the middle. No guile, no skill, no urgency

Salford knew where each other were and could pass the ball without checking the man was there to recieve the ball. They created space, they ran the channels. They had guile and skill.

We need a big strong seasoned striker to shake up defences and we need a formation and a plan that the squad we have can play to.

If this doesn't happen then it's goodnight Vienna

That last gasp worldly from Exeter is getting more costly by the day. Not only the two points but whatever small amount of belief we had built up has completely vanished. On the evidence of the last 2 games I am at a complete loss to find any sane reason why we will not follow the likes of Stockport, Torquay and York and disappear into non league obscurity

Painful to watch as we were just not good enough tonight. No amount of huff and puff effort can make up for an inability to pass to another Blue shirt rather than the opposition. And the whole bloody thing was compounded by having to listen to that total dick Stuart Smith. It was so much better when there was no commentary.
You can turn the commentary off!?

Ox 1 A good goalkeeper would have had two of them....he is not a good goalkeeper
Elvis 4 gets worse every week
Dieng 6 at least we know he can be decent
Lennon 6 worth his place
Taylor 1 hopeless
K Taylor 6 quality player ruined playing with misfits
Egbri 6 lively but shouldn't be in plans if we are going forward
Arsenal bloke 6 looks ok but these premier youngsters arn't exactly setting us alight
Spurs bloke...5 no better than our own stiffs
Badship 4 couldn't trap a bag of cement.....non league
Demi 4 Mr. backwards all night...what's the point?

Lennon 6? I’ll have whatever you’re drinking wiggy.

That was so, so painful to watch. Another truly abject, clueless, embarrassing performance. I keep thinking it can't get any worse. That is now 2 non-league park pitch teams that have smashed us already this season.

I like the style he's trying implement when it's played in the correct way - that's energetic, up-tempo pass and move, playing the ball forward and through the lines, unsettling the opposition with the relentless pace of play and the high press deployed when possession is lost. I'm not convinced these players are even good enough to have that coached into them, and the way they are currently trying to play is woeful. The sideways and backwards passing has to stop - I am sick of seeing the ball go all the way back to the goalkeeper from a throw-in or a free-kick halfway inside the opposition's half. Truly indefensible.

And my God do we need a bit of bloody steel and aggression. We're a soft touch. A pushover. Easy to figure out, easy to play against and through.

Something needs to drastically change, quickly.

We're not good enough to pass the ball to another player, so MM has to change tactics now.
He has to tell Acquah to jump higher and stick his elbows out in the vague hope someone is around to pick up the pieces.
How else are we going to score a goal?

Passing it out from the back for a side with no skill and whose confidence is shredded is just asking for it.

Players look up and there's no one to be seen.
That ball has been passed back so many times since opening day, it must think it's a bucket in a fire chain.

I genuinely thought we might compete in League Two, so I'm a bit of everything: surprised, bitter, and resigned.

Seriously worried about where we are going. I don’t want to blame MM, but as others have said..8 players in and numerous back room staff, playing in a lower league and that is now 10 games in league and cups without a win.

He talks about a long term plan, but are we happy to give him time to get us relegated for the first time out of the football league in our history, I for one am not.

I just do not see where the next win is coming from!!!
Interested to hear which magical managerial appointment you think we can make that’s going to make a squad of players barely good enough to stay up in the Conference, stay up in League 2.

Painful to watch as we were just not good enough tonight. No amount of huff and puff effort can make up for an inability to pass to another Blue shirt rather than the opposition. And the whole bloody thing was compounded by having to listen to that total dick Stuart Smith. It was so much better when there was no commentary.
I agree bbc Essex needs a complete shake up

I normally won't post immediately after a match as I think emotions after a defeat make reasoned debate impossible. But can anyone tell me when we started this backwards passing in earnest. It does predate MM but it has to stop. We have a free kick just inside our half. A quick free kick square and then a back pass to Oxley. Why? WTF.
Elvis had a number of throw ins as did I think Taylor in attacking positions in their half in th second half. The ball is thrown backwards and ends up with Oxley. WTF.
I really don't know what we need to do but at least attack. You know Salford weren't all that at all. We troubled their keeper once and he spilled the ball. Once.
Quite liked the new lad but we're fooked.

It's simple.

We have lost all quality at the club and replaced with non league quality and kids a s have a manager who is treating league two football like an u23s league.

We will go down without a fight.

We needed an experienced manager ala sturrock in situations such as these.
This is probably the best summary. Like the comment or not, it’s bang on the button

The trouble with u23 kids is they can only play u23 kids football.
No committed tackles
No cleverly winning free kicks
No sprinting just stroll about for show
Lots of pointless passing to feet , not in front of the runner.
Now joined by elvis who has an oxleymagnet stuck on his arms and can only throw it towards his own goal every time.
Being an experienced pro in this team must be mind blowingly frustrating!!
I'm confused why MM is happy with this squad! I'm confused with his tinkering.
At this rate he will lose the confidence of the experienced ones he's got. It's like a homage to u23 football ffs!
get a grip MM. Stop worrying what it looks like and be practical

Every side we play against are quicker and stronger than us.

We have no idea how to attack. Having got rid of Humphrys Kelman and Hutchinson not a goal threat in the team.

I’m beginning to think that Molesley, nice chap that he seems to be, and his 5 assistants most of whom have no football league experience are actually way out of their depth. Where is the sense in bringing on Taylor and not Clifford.

Both Paul Clark and Glenn Pennyfather reckon we play training ground football, academy practice style no pressure no contact.

At least Dick Bate did win a league cup tie and Wignall 4 games.

If we are going to win a game the opposition are going to have to be unbelievably bad.

Think I'd rather do a Bury than die slow and extremely painfully under Ron. After all as he says, it's his club not ours. What is left which is really Southend United other than a name.

Back