• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Salford City 3-0 Southend United

Glad I saved my money tonight!

Might I suggest Mr Molesley gets on the phone to Mr Tilson and at least listens to what he has to say? At least he has some experience of this kind of situation and he had plenty of ideas. I don't think there would have been the wholesale change of backroom staff if he had come in!

Ben Clarkson was leaving anyway, Hreidarsson left with Sol and Cole. Would Tilson not have appointed a physio and assistant? Why did Harrison leave? And did we even hav
I'm not being dramatic when I say we need 5 or 6 new signings.

This current team would be lucky to finish mid table in the national league.

The young players MM has brought in seem way out of their depth.

I'm really starting to think my concerns at the start of the season are becoming true ... MM doesn't know how to manage and recruit for professional senior football.

There is no way , this set of players can turn this around.

I will run the length of Southend High Street in nothing but a pair of speedos if Southend stay up with this team

Not sure you can have a go at his recruitment too much. He wasn't even in post when most clubs were busy completing their summer business and snapping up the free agents worth having.(I know the popular line is that there are hundreds of players out there but there's a reason most of them haven't been snapped up) not to mention most were two or three weeks into a pre-season that we at SUFC seemed to think was for other people.

To win games you have to score goals.....when you struggle to even get a shot on goal in 90 minutes at this level it tells you that you are relegation fodder which when you've let go your only 2 quality strikers is predictable .Where is the passion and the fight in the team.We have no real leaders on the pitch and do you really think that the young loanees from London really give a sh*t if we fail and go out the league .Sturrock knew what type of player was needed to steady a sinking ship .Apart from Bournemouths Taylor we have brought in nobody of the standard needed in the spine positions .Only McCormack if if he is ever fit again is of the standard needed to make a difference.
We really are near the point of no return on and off the pitch thanks to Ron

40+ years supporting Southend, each game I try to find some positives and each game I get let down. It's a desperate watch, sad, depressing, frustrating you name it.

Tonight is an all time low. Who to blame? MM, maybe, not for the first time his tactics seem odd. Trying to play out from the back, why play Kyle out wide when he is best suited in the middle and he signed a winger who is sat on the bench. Why is Clifford not playing especially after a Ralph went off? So yes we can point the finger at some of his actions, but as the weeks go by he is looking for a solution to try and get us out if this.

The players? Well of course they have to take a huge amount of responsibility, and it's the senior pros I'm looking at. Saturday and again tonight the likes of Oxley, Dieng, Lennon, Elvis, JD have let us down. Collectively or individually they need to take blame for the goals we conceded and the lack of leadership on the pitch. The first two goals were simply farcical and the third one we simply switched off and neglected our duties. We hope that Macca, White and Akinola will bring some much needed support, in white and Macca we at least have leaders, but how much football they will play remains to be seen.

The kids did ok, Taylor and the arsenal lad tried to play the ball and did at least show some signs of hope. Sterling is massively lacking in confidence, but then hardly sees the ball. Egbri bless him runs around, but he isn't good enough and is too small and weak, Taylor at LB isn't L2 standard, so as I said why not Clifford

The biggest concern and without stating the obvious, we simply have to stop losing football matches. Yes we have a new manager and some new players but we still lose and just don't look like a team with any confidence. Is the factor in all this the senior players, those I've mentioned who for the last three seasons have forgotten how to win and have a ' here we go again' mentality as soon as we concede. Look at the back five tonight, Ralph has played ok, but the other four had shockers and arguably were at fault for all three goals, yet they are the base we are meant to build from, maybe that base needs to be broken up sooner rather than later, as later doesn't warrant thinking about.

Sad desperate times as a southend fan

It was like that every week you’re off your nut if you think it wasn’t ... it was woeful

So tell me we didnt at least resemble a respectable professional football club that was competing on a level playing field most weeks.....even given the most crippling injury list imaginable. Credible draws with Accrington, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Charlton were among some poor defeats, but the manner of it wasn’t ever like this.

CP got pelters after the Doncaster defeat for saying he was glad it hadn’t got messy when he’d made defensive subs at 3-0 down when most fans wanted him to throw on forwards and “have a go”........we stayed up on goal difference!!!

Egbri could be our Carl Pettifer. But we need to find a Gower for the left hand side, a Bentley and a Maher next to him and a Goater and an Eastwood upfront !
I think K Taylor is our Maher and Nathan is our Gower. But still plenty of holes to fill. This is an impossible task !

To win games you have to score goals.....when you struggle to even get a shot on goal in 90 minutes at this level it tells you that you are relegation fodder which when you've let go your only 2 quality strikers is predictable .Where is the passion and the fight in the team.We have no real leaders on the pitch and do you really think that the young loanees from London really give a sh*t if we fail and go out the league .Sturrock knew what type of player was needed to steady a sinking ship .Apart from Bournemouths Taylor we have brought in nobody of the standard needed in the spine positions .Only McCormack if if he is ever fit again is of the standard needed to make a difference.
We really are near the point of no return on and off the pitch thanks to Ron

One interesting thing about Sturrock is that he was able to sign players on pre-contracts with the promise they would be registered once an embargo was lifted. I think the rules are probably different now and he was starting from a completely clean slate

The embargo hasn't quite been the hindrance to Molesley that it could have been, but it certainly has stopped him from adding players as quickly as we needed to and he's had to juggle the one in one out thing in order to field fit teams and fill the bench. It also seems to me that the club as a whole hasn't been that clued up on the rules this time around.

We are absolutely crying out for a bit of nous and experience in the line up and White, McCormack and Akinola would make a difference, but I still think we are three or four experienced players short of being a mid table side.

I'm really starting to think my concerns at the start of the season are becoming true ... MM doesn't know how to manage and recruit for professional senior football.

I will run the length of Southend High Street in nothing but a pair of speedos if Southend stay up with this team
Saved onto flash-drive!

Rons biggest mistake was to allow pressure from fans inside Roots Hall to push him to sack Chris Powell. I defy anyone to say we didn’t at least resemble a proper football club with him in charge and even with a possible relegation in sight that the club didn’t have a clearer future ahead of it.

Simply pathetic blaming fans over the state we are in.

I'll raise you all the way back to sacking Tilson and Brush when we resembled a successful foot club before Ron used them as a scapegoat for his own failure.

Simply pathetic blaming fans over the state we are in.

I'll raise you all the way back to sacking Tilson and Brush when we resembled a successful foot club before Ron used them as a scapegoat for his own failure.

Like it or not any chairman’s trigger finger only gets over twitchy when the fans turn....

Blame CP, blame the performances, blame the fans or blame Ron. But it’s undeniable that once the fans have screamed “you don’t know what you’re doing” a few times your numbers up.

I hope we go down then.

Question , whats happened to Clifford is he injured, people last season saying he looks so talented even this season when he played people were praising him and Ralph and saying how well they played down the left flank. Yet he cant get a game ahead of Taylor at LB when Taylor supposed to be a CD .I can also see from the threads that MM better start showing some results quickly or fans going to turn on him.

I don't like to make a scapegoat of specific players but I really don't think Elvis has been good enough defensively/positionally recently. Every team we play is exploiting space in behind him.

Like it or not any chairman’s trigger finger only gets over twitchy when the fans turn....

Blame CP, blame the performances, blame the fans or blame Ron. But it’s undeniable that once the fans have screamed “you don’t know what you’re doing” a few times your numbers up.

If you'd of cared to take my point the general opinion was that fans didnt want Tilson and Brush removed. In fact some fans were furious.

Maybe your too young, maybe you dont remember, maybe your not intelligent enough to work out the obvious root cause.

Kyle Taylor, Sterling & Olayinka. That’s three.

Sorry for wrecking your agenda.

umm .. thats is what i meant 3 .... three ....

MM came highly recommended by you and so far I am to see much effective leadership here ...

but Interesting comment about agendas

I don't have one apart from wanting to see SUFC thrive -

But maybe you do have had an agenda ... who cares ?

If you'd of cared to take my point the general opinion was that fans didnt want Tilson and Brush removed. In fact some fans were furious.

Maybe your too young, maybe you dont remember, maybe your not intelligent enough to work out the obvious root cause.

I was one of them. Ron wanted an immediate return to the championship. After getting beat by donny in the championship semis Ron started to point the blame at Tilly and Co.

He then didn't pay the players for several months ( sound familiar) and morale and effort dropped. We also sold our star striker Barnard to Southampton (again familiar) and dropped like a stone until Ron sacked Tilly and basically blamed him for the whole thing.

As a result we ended up in the basement with nothing more than a handful of pros and relied on luggy using all of his knowledge to land us some excellent players who gave their collective all.

This has the same feel except the man we have put in charge doesn't have that experience and hasn't been able to bring in the same quality.k

Maybe so.

However you’ve used one example when I’ve been talking about football in general.

I won’t go down the route of questioning your age and I certainly wont be as disrespectful as questioning your intelligence, so we’ll agree to disagree.

But there’s no doubt in my mind that Southend Utd represented a far more stable ship and a far more professional outfit than it does currently or has done for the last 18 months, when Chris Powell was in charge and was trying to steer through a really difficult time. There’s also no doubt that on this occasion the crowd had had enough (or a section of it had) and they were far more vocal than those that hadnt had enough and as with most chairman, most of the time, Ron was probably pushed to act against his own better judgement....

What has followed has been 5 managers in 18 months, a playing staff that’s been ripped to shreds continuous financial issues none of which have been helped by the pay offs required to change players and managers in an effort to change / put things ‘right’ and we find ourselves in a pretty sticky position.

In my uneducated opinion only I think it’s a worse position than we’d have been in had we rode it out with CP with a bit more of a longer term approach.

It is just my opinion though and I’m happy to accept it’s not yours.

Back