• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Salford City vs Southend United 20th October 2020 19:45 hrs FL2

What would be your starting eleven for Tuesday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I noticed a few of today's fixtures are 18.00 KO including Scunthorpe v Cheltenham. Surely ours could have been brought forward an hour or so as we seem to be the only ones with a ridiculous trip midweek.

I noticed a few of today's fixtures are 18.00 KO including Scunthorpe v Cheltenham. Surely ours could have been brought forward an hour or so as we seem to be the only ones with a ridiculous trip midweek.

Not great for those that want to watch it though and don’t finish work in time for a 6pm ko

Demi will start (90 mins in every game so far). I think many missed the bit pre-season about whilst his knee needs managing its way less serious than at first thought.

MM might well go with

Oxley
Elvis Lennon Dieng Clifford
Olayinka Demi Taylor Ralph
Goodship Acquah

OR I would go with

Oxley
Hobson Dieng Lennon
Elvis Olayinka Demi Taylor Ralph
Goodship Acquah (or Sterling)

Demi will start (90 mins in every game so far). I think many missed the bit pre-season about whilst his knee needs managing its way less serious than at first thought.

MM might well go with

Oxley
Elvis Lennon Dieng Clifford
Olayinka Demi Taylor Ralph
Goodship Acquah

OR I would go with

Oxley
Hobson Dieng Lennon
Elvis Olayinka Demi Taylor Ralph
Goodship Acquah (or Sterling)

Why would you go with 5 at the back, did you miss the game on Saturday :Smile:

Elvis cannot play as a wing-back, no matter how many times you try. It was similar when we tried to make Coker do that; they are full-backs that prefer someone in front of them.

Ok. Lets mix it up a bit. Im a big believer in IF IT AINT BROKE , DONT FIX IT. However , its absolutely knackered right now . If we play Demetriou & Lennon i fear we wont see them for ages , so lets protect them tonight. We dont need em - Scholes will have the same affect Waddock did for us - little Ginger fella who doesnt want the job ... Maybe we can do a Doncaster on em : - )

------------------------OXLEY--------------------------
ELVIS----------HOBSON-------DIENG---------CLIFFORD
NATTY-GEORGE---OLAYINKA----K.TAYLOR------RALPH
---------------GOODSHIP----R.TAYLOR-----------------

bench: ACQUAH, STERLING, EGBRI , KYPRIANOU , PHILLIPS , COKER , SEADEN

Yeah , you read it right - Richard Taylor as a striker. Big lump up front , more mobile than Emile , stronger targetman than Sterling , I'd much rather see him causing chaos in the oppostions box than in our own. He has got pace + a sweet left foot , great in the air. He's got a nasty streak so will get in their faces. Goodship will feed off him like Toshack& Keegan . Sutton& Shearer. Kane&Son. Taylor&Goodship. Lets ave it !!!!! Stick it up em . UTB.

Can't believe I'm about to suggest this after I used to batter Powell for it, but what about using Dieng further up the pitch?

Lineup for me has to be the following:

......................Oxley............................
Elvis......Hobson.......Dieng.......Clifford
Egbri.........Olayinka........K.Taylor.........Ralph
........................Goodship..............................
........................Acquah................................

No point putting Goodship 1 on 1 against a CB. Play him in behind Acquah and slot him into the midfield to make up the numbers when needed.

Acquah needs to play closer to the midfield. Push the team higher up or get Acquah to drop deeper so he can get involved more with hold-up play.

3 in the centre of the park (when Goodship drops in) SHOULD be enough to crowd out the midfield and turn over the ball. Let's hope Olayinka has a bit of bite like Kyle Taylor does.

Egbri has so much more to give than Sterling IMO. Egbri was an escape route for us in the Exeter game when nothing else was on.
Gives 100% and just needs to try and beat his man more often. He has the skill and speed to beat someone, he just needs to grow in confidence.

Lineup for me has to be the following:

......................Oxley............................
Elvis......Hobson.......Dieng.......Clifford
Egbri.........Olayinka........K.Taylor.........Ralph
........................Goodship..............................
........................Acquah................................

Egbri has so much more to give than Sterling IMO. Egbri was an escape route for us in the Exeter game when nothing else was on.
Gives 100% and just needs to try and beat his man more often. He has the skill and speed to beat someone, he just needs to grow in confidence.

Think Egbri flatters to deceive. I've yet to see him go past anyone or really use his pace, just constantly will stop, check back and roll it to Elvis or someone coming up to support. After a while, thats very easy to defend.

Surely have to give ANG a go? Seemed tidy from his cameos.

Think Egbri flatters to deceive. I've yet to see him go past anyone or really use his pace, just constantly will stop, check back and roll it to Elvis or someone coming up to support. After a while, thats very easy to defend.

Surely have to give ANG a go? Seemed tidy from his cameos.
My main worry is ANG hasn't played regularly since the beginning of this year. He could well be fit enough, but we would be cursing if he ended up on the treatment table.

I recall Egbri beating his man in quite a few games before last season got cancelled. He can whip a decent cross in too when he wants to (see Crawley away this season).

I thought it was unfair that he lost his place in the last game to accommodate a new system that has set us back to square one.

The Ox
JD - Hobson - Lennon - Clifford
Egbri - Olayinka - K Taylor - Ralph
Goodship - Acquah

Subs - R Taylor, Dieng, ANG, Sterling, Elvis, Phillips, Seaden.

Score - Salford 2 Southend 2

Why would you go with 5 at the back, did you miss the game on Saturday :Smile:

Elvis cannot play as a wing-back, no matter how many times you try. It was similar when we tried to make Coker do that; they are full-backs that prefer someone in front of them.
The problem on Sat was the 343. Effectively two "wing backs" with only two CM and three up front who would have needed walkie-talkies to communicate so far apart were they.
Three in midfield really tightens that up- and two up front can play closer together. Ralph can definitely play wing back/LM. Elvis can but is not at his best.
Anyway comparing a 352 to the 343 defensively is chalk and cheese I'm afraid.
PB often fell back to 352 when he needed results, and there was a definite improvement last year in L1 when we did likewise. If he goes 442 he will need to drop Hobson if he wants to pick the best two CBs - i.e. Dieng & Lennon. He will also probably need to drop Sterling (as Goodship will be better with Acquah alongside and he will probably hold the ball up better). I just hope that he doesn't rather than do this go with 343 again...

Can't believe I'm about to suggest this after I used to batter Powell for it, but what about using Dieng further up the pitch?
I know the thought train, similar to the idea of 3 centre backs or playing Goodship as a winger, Elvis as a wing back, Emile as a target man; on paper it looks half sane but you, me, anyone watching our last 50 games knows it is not going work in a real game.

Scholes was a great player, but so far an awful manager. Lets hope we're not the ones that make him look like Klopp. Although we probably will.

We always concede, we're away from home, and we don't score many. I can only see a 2-0 or maybe a 3-1 defeat with Scholes immediately putting himself forward as the next Man U manager after the game.

I know the thought train, similar to the idea of 3 centre backs or playing Goodship as a winger, Elvis as a wing back, Emile as a target man; on paper it looks half sane but you, me, anyone watching our last 50 games knows it is not going work in a real game.

Emile as a targetman has worked in 3 of our last 4 matches (things fell apart against Morecambe after he went off injured).

Compare that to the previous matches against Carlisle and Harrogate (plus after he went off against Morecambe) without a targetman.

Emile as a targetman has worked in 3 of our last 4 matches (things fell apart against Morecambe after he went off injured).

Compare that to the previous matches against Carlisle and Harrogate (plus after he went off against Morecambe) without a targetman.

I agree with that, he's not the finished article by any means - we can't expect him to be the equivalent of Barry Corr just yet. He's just 20 years old and starting his career. However he's the best target man we've got on the books now and he seems to be getting better every game.

MM and the team are working with him every day on the training pitch, and if they choose him to play that role then that's good enough for me!

Back