• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

An interesting and slightly left-field transfer. Please don't be another Isaac Layne.

SOUTHEND United are expected to complete the transfer of Maidenhead United winger Sam Barratt today.

More...

As a full-time artist he seems to be an interesting and slightly left-field (by football standards) individual. I'm excited to see his creative side and artistry on the football pitch.

I'm 2 minutes 40 seconds into that highlight reel and Maidenhead's (lack of) finishing is quite something. He's been robbed of about half a dozen assists already because they can't convert from inside the 6 yard box.

He won't be annoyed when the same thing happens next season then

Each person is different of course .... but fingers crossed.

In general, I do like the thought that a player getting a chance at playing at a much higher level will be highly motivated and do his best to take the chance offered to him. :thumbsup:

That is exactly it, so lets hope the lad takes his chance coming form non league. Its a myth that our senior players aren't motivated. Turner, Cox, MAF and Anton have all proved what great professionals they really are.

The players who don't seem motivated are the younger ones who feel SUFC was beneath them. Pigott, Hines, Ladapo and Ranger come to mind.

An interesting and slightly left-field transfer. Please don't be another Isaac Layne.
Layne scored a handful of goals in the seventh tier. Barratt appears to have performed conistently well in a league now mainly made up of pro teams so there’s a much better chance of him making the step up you’d like to think.

That is exactly it, so lets hope the lad takes his chance coming form non league. Its a myth that our senior players aren't motivated. Turner, Cox, MAF and Anton have all proved what great professionals they really are.

The players who don't seem motivated are the younger ones who feel SUFC was beneath them. Pigott, Hines, Ladapo and Ranger come to mind.

Slightly unfair on ladapo. I don’t think he felt he was above Southend, he was just toilet.

Slightly unfair on ladapo. I don’t think he felt he was above Southend, he was just toilet.

All the more reason to work harder when you do come on as sub. I remember Coker getting the ball second half, with a bit of time in front of the East. He looked up for a simple option and Ladapo was on his heels middle of the park. I knew there and then we wouldn't be seeing any more of him.

Would imagine this signing will be as a result of Damian Matthew's input. He was previously a Scout for Everton and covered the South and in particular players Under 23. Would assume he has been on Damian's radar for a while.

Would imagine this signing will be as a result of Damian Matthew's input. He was previously a Scout for Everton and covered the South and in particular players Under 23. Would assume he has been on Damian's radar for a while.

More like Alan Devonshire being a mate of Kevin Keen and Roger Cross.

He was also on trial at Crystal Palace when Kevin Keen was there and our chief scout Roger Cross was at West Ham with their manager Alan Devonshire, so a fair few links.

Not a surprise, but it's definitely a done deal. He just put a little video on his Instagram live feed on the pitch at Roots Hall with Chris Powell doing an interview about him in the background.

Be interesting to see how long the deal is for.

++++EDIT - just looked at the time and it was yesterday afternoon he posted this! Not sure what the delay in announcing him is+++++

All the more reason to work harder when you do come on as sub. I remember Coker getting the ball second half, with a bit of time in front of the East. He looked up for a simple option and Ladapo was on his heels middle of the park. I knew there and then we wouldn't be seeing any more of him.

I agree, but I took that as a lack of ability to read the game. He did it several times.

Not a surprise, but it's definitely a done deal. He just put a little video on his Instagram live feed on the pitch at Roots Hall with Chris Powell doing an interview about him in the background.

Be interesting to see how long the deal is for.

++++EDIT - just looked at the time and it was yesterday afternoon he posted this! Not sure what the delay in announcing him is+++++

Transfer window doesn't open until Thursday

Was Layne that bad? He impressed playing for Charlton in a friendly against us, prompting Phil B to sign him on a one year contract. Phil then proceeded to just attach him to the first team squad on only two occasions, hardly an opportunity to shine, not ever getting on the pitch.,
Maybe he was poor in the Under 23s or had issues, because at still only 22 years of age he has gone on to play for 6 clubs since leaving us, frequently loaned out. He has scored 16 goals during these spells in 99 games and was released with 9 others at the end of this season from Brechin and is now a free agent. Still young enough to develop of course

Back