• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wright is a far better passer, and rarely panics, tidy. Mantom, great when you need the crunch.
If we could combine the abilities of the selection of middies we have available/ then we would get the player we need.
Woody for the set pieces and goals, Wright for calmness, safe play/passes and discipline, Timlin for crunch, engine and desire then what we are missing is heading ability to support attack/defence AND since Len went the "afterburner" injection ability of PACE.
Mantom has several attributes that make him a candidate to partner Dru next term but does he tick enough of the boxes is the question needing answering before money is paid out and alternatives attempted to be sourced?

I've only seen Mantom once and that was at Plymouth. I thought he was "tidy" - my assessment at the time - in a side that was over-run. I don't recall him wasting the ball and for a player returning from injury and regaining match fitness - it was the first time he'd played 90 mins. for us (I think) - amidst a struggling team that day, I thought that it was an encouraging performance. I'm pleased to hear that he's continued to improve and I hope to see him at Oxford today to get a better-informed opinion. As for mfurok's likening his initial impact to that of Butler and Guttridge, I find that a huge compliment and one I trust as there are not many people who've followed the Blues so closely these last 40 years or so.

Yes,definitely an extremely good player at this level and just to put the record straight(Massimo couldn’t have been watching much)Mantom and Oxley were definitely the only ones to emerge with any credit from the dismal display at Plymouth,though Turner also tried hard to counter White’s total hopelessness.

Not sure about that! Can't remember anyone coming away with a credit at Plymouth, not least the Ox if only because he could do little but pick the ball out of the net four times.

Not sure about that! Can't remember anyone coming away with a credit at Plymouth, not least the Ox if only because he could do little but pick the ball out of the net four times.

I thought he did that rather well though* .........

* As per the highlights - I agree it could have looked different to someone at the game.

Yet to be convinced, **** poor at Plymouth. Started well against Rotherham but faded badly, but again fitness is still an issue.

Not sure where he was today?

Does he offer anymore than Timlin, albeit Timlin was poor today as well, jury's out....wouldn't be in a rush to sign

You could argue that most of the Lenny money [Bentley and Payne before that too] will have subsided the club loses in the time since we obtained those monies.

You could argue that most of the Lenny money [Bentley and Payne before that too] will have subsided the club loses in the time since we obtained those monies.

Last season out of total money in over all expenses was minus £175,000, so I'm told. That did not include any transfer fees including for academy players.

Last season out of total money in over all expenses was minus £175,000, so I'm told. That did not include any transfer fees including for academy players.

I'm assuming that's agent fees? Still that isn't the point I'm trying to make. The last figure I heard for the clubs monthly loss was £75k. From the sale of Bentley and Payne which was £1.1m and a reported £600k in a Huddersfield newspaper. In the time from those sales to the end of this season the clubs loses would've absorbed that figure. Add the increased budget for our promotion push and a decrease in attendances due to poor performances it might not have been the best season for the balance sheet.

Yes, we probably have some of Lenny's money but that probably isn't earmarked as 'spending money' by the powers that be.

Edit: Just to add I agree that reinvesting is important, but I think it'll go into players wages rather than transfer fees.

I'm assuming that's agent fees? Still that isn't the point I'm trying to make. The last figure I heard for the clubs monthly loss was £75k. From the sale of Bentley and Payne which was £1.1m and a reported £600k in a Huddersfield newspaper. In the time from those sales to the end of this season the clubs loses would've absorbed that figure. Add the increased budget for our promotion push and a decrease in attendances due to poor performances it might not have been the best season for the balance sheet.

Yes, we probably have some of Lenny's money but that probably isn't earmarked as 'spending money' by the powers that be.

Edit: Just to add I agree that reinvesting is important, but I think it'll go into players wages rather than transfer fees.

Not in recent times, so those figures aren't correct. The money we have received from transfers has not been used on players or any other members of staffs wages.

By the way that table for agents fees is pointless as they can be paid in various ways and not just directly from the club.

Back