• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is the greater Southend legend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
First tie of the second round throws up an intriguing clash between one of our best centre-forwards and one of our best centre-halves.

You know the drill: post up your tales, I'll add a poll and if it then if it's still a tie, I'll judge it on the evidence posted on the thread (and then if I'm still struggling to split them, I may ask for more help....)

Never saw him play myself but according to one of our supporters who has been going for over 60 years, Sam McCrory is the best player that he ever seen play for Southend United. That'll do for me!

my old man said Peter Watson was the best centre-back he has seen at the Hall since going since 1960.

...and IMO he's correct, Watson is easily the best centre back I've seen at Roots Hall. I never saw Sammy McCrory he's record was very good. I'll probably opt for Watson, but will give it some thought before the poll goes up.

Saw both play, very difficult to split them. Watson maybe the best centre half ive seen play for blues, then again Sam scored and made them as well. Not sure if you would class him as a centre forward though, i think Hollis who played along side him filled that role. Think i will go with McCrory just.

This is a really tough choice as I voted for both in the previous round! Peter Watson is definitely the best centre back I've seen don the Blues shirt. I'm not sure but Sammy McCrory may still hold the record for most League goals in one season (33 in 1957/58). That's one hell of an achievement for a 33 year old forward, who went on to win his one and only international cap for Northern Ireland against England @ Wembley that year and scored in a famous 3-2 win.

Sammy McCrory for me, just.

It's Peter Watson for me.
I saw Sammy towards the end and he was a handful who knew how to score.
Trouble is PW has always been one of my favourite Top 5 Blues even taking into account the sublime og I saw him score one Sat afternoon.I can't remember exactly our GK's name (might have been Brian Rhodes) - but he came out to quickly towards PW who was being pressed by their Centre Forward.PW had no option but to slam it away for a corner on the half volley.Trouble was he slammed it away on the half volley - straight into the top left hand corner of the net from about 18 yards !
Like a rocket - truly.
Couldn't possibly have done it if he needed to.
Never Mind it's still PW for me.

Trouble is PW has always been one of my favourite Top 5 Blues even taking into account the sublime og I saw him score one Sat afternoon.I can't remember exactly our GK's name (might have been Brian Rhodes) - but he came out to quickly towards PW who was being pressed by their Centre Forward.PW had no option but to slam it away for a corner on the half volley.Trouble was he slammed it away on the half volley - straight into the top left hand corner of the net from about 18 yards !
Like a rocket - truly.

Are you sure that wasn't Lou Costello?

Saw both play, very difficult to split them. Watson maybe the best centre half ive seen play for blues, then again Sam scored and made them as well. Not sure if you would class him as a centre forward though, i think Hollis who played along side him filled that role. Think i will go with McCrory just.

Sam was a cultured goalscoring inside forward (remember them).

Like a rocket - truly.

Are you sure that wasn't Lou Costello's famous own goal against Coventry City in the 63/64 season? He hammered that past the advancing Rhodes into the top right hand corner of the North Bank goal. Much to the delight of the Coventry fans who literally filled the North Bank that day. First time I'd seen so many visiting fans @ Roots Hall. We won the return fixture 5-2 @ Highfiled Road, attendance was almost 29,000!

Are you sure that wasn't Lou Costello's famous own goal against Coventry City in the 63/64 season? He hammered that past the advancing Rhodes into the top right hand corner of the North Bank goal. Much to the delight of the Coventry fans who literally filled the North Bank that day. First time I'd seen so many visiting fans @ Roots Hall. We won the return fixture 5-2 @ Highfiled Road, attendance was almost 29,000!

Good recollection but slightly slow off the mark - see above.

Poll added.

Am enjoying the recollections on this thread, so thanks to all those contributing. Although on this occasion it wasn't one of the candidates who scored, I reckon legendary own-goals definitely count in a player's favour!

Good recollection but slightly slow off the mark - see above.

That's because I'm probably a fair bit older than you. :smile:

Also, my reply contained more information and took longer to type. At my age everything seems to take longer ... or in some cases, I just fall asleep! :winking:

There you go then.
The old memory's not what it was.
I was convinced it was PW and in the South Bank Goal as well!
I swear I can still see the look on Rhodes' face though !!!!
Classic - pure classic

That's because I'm probably a fair bit older than you. :smile:

Also, my reply contained more information and took longer to type. At my age everything seems to take longer ... or in some cases, I just fall asleep! :winking:

Clearly we have more than Lou Costello's own goals in common.

Must say that Lou was never one of my favourites.

Not sure whether I saw Sam as only 6 or 7 at time (though his record speaks for itself) - saw lots of Peter - as others have said probably the best centre half who has played for the Blues

Peter Watson was a fantastic centre half, I have yet to see a better one anywhere, in any division.

This is a really tough choice as I voted for both in the previous round! Peter Watson is definitely the best centre back I've seen don the Blues shirt. I'm not sure but Sammy McCrory may still hold the record for most League goals in one season (33 in 1957/58). That's one hell of an achievement for a 33 year old forward, who went on to win his one and only international cap for Northern Ireland against England @ Wembley that year and scored in a famous 3-2 win.

Sammy McCrory for me, just.

Sam McCrory was one of my heroes...........remember seeing that international on TV............the only time I have ever supported N Ireland, when they've played England..............remember going bananas when he scored!

Back