• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sam McQueen

Watched the first half.

Playing well, though it's a big step down from being sub against Oldham, to playing Man City! :winking:

Being linked with Leicester and Liverpool in the press today.

I remember after he had been here for about 2 months and PB said something like, we've decided his best position is central.

Funny how certain players progress and others don't, so much.

I'd have bet my house on Hendrie being a first team Premier League regular before McQueen.

To be fair, how many of us would have thought that he would be a left back? Brilliant from him though. It just shows them idiots at the FA and head of the Premier League, that players can actually go out on loan to lower league clubs and can still break into a Premier League 11. To not just be wrapped up in cotton wool and be pampered in their under 21 teams. Go out and learn your trade properly.

To be fair, how many of us would have thought that he would be a left back? Brilliant from him though. It just shows them idiots at the FA and head of the Premier League, that players can actually go out on loan to lower league clubs and can still break into a Premier League 11. To not just be wrapped up in cotton wool and be pampered in their under 21 teams. Go out and learn your trade properly.

Interesting:are you sure you learn your trade properly under Brown and Coughlan,rather than at Southamptons academy? I cannot recall the likes of Bale,Walcott,Oxlade-Chamberlain going out on loan anywhere.
I know the English game demands physicality(rather than skill?) but even that can be available. Not just the minimum 3 Chekkatrade trophy games ,but league games too.Last week I watched a very young and skilful Bournemouth team play a LEAGUE match against Innis,Sokolik,White,O'Neill,Fortune' etc.!

Interesting:are you sure you learn your trade properly under Brown and Coughlan,rather than at Southamptons academy? I cannot recall the likes of Bale,Walcott,Oxlade-Chamberlain going out on loan anywhere.
I know the English game demands physicality(rather than skill?) but even that can be available. Not just the minimum 3 Chekkatrade trophy games ,but league games too.Last week I watched a very young and skilful Bournemouth team play a LEAGUE match against Innis,Sokolik,White,O'Neill,Fortune' etc.!

I think you're twisting the facts there, Walcott and Bale both started their career with Southampton when they were still in the championship, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain made his debut season when Southampton were in League 1. I doubt they would have got anywhere near as much game time in their first seasons if Southampton had been in the premier league because the stakes are so high there, occasionally someone like Sterling comes along but it's rare someone adapts so well with no professional games under their belt. Also we have not played Bournemouth in the league, reserve matches are nowhere near the intensity of a league game.

I think you're twisting the facts there, Walcott and Bale both started their career with Southampton when they were still in the championship, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain made his debut season when Southampton were in League 1. I doubt they would have got anywhere near as much game time in their first seasons if Southampton had been in the premier league because the stakes are so high there, occasionally someone like Sterling comes along but it's rare someone adapts so well with no professional games under their belt. Also we have not played Bournemouth in the league, reserve matches are nowhere near the intensity of a league game.
Started in Championship before Premiership-so what?Still learnt everything there,without having to drop right down on loan.
Two more ,off the top of my head...Lallana, Ward-Prowse.

There is no doubt Sam learned plenty on loan at southend. The delay in getting a clear chance with the first team at Saints whilst ultra-frustrating had the benefit of him being ready with confidence and maturity when his chance came. That maturity was partially learned living, training and playing with Southend. Sam realised his success was going to be down to him and his mentality when his chance came. I believe you saw glimpses of his ability during his 18 appearances but I'd put the real benefit down to him coping mentally with regular substitutions, defeats and giving away a penalty that led to a 1-2 defeat minutes after just missing out on scoring the winning goal. How you respond to failure is key to future success. Sam was absolutely determined to give it one more go doing his "pre" pre-season training in the Lake District to hit the ground running when returning back to Saints. He didn't want to go out on loan to league one again if he could help it. Koeman leaving and Puel arriving was a crucial key to him getting a chance of course but Sam had to be ready. If it didn't happen this autumn he was going to try elsewhere. The change to left wing-back though a surprise wasn't such a big change for him. He started life as a left back and has always had a defensive capability. At 13/14 years of age Luke Shaw requested moving to left back so Sam got moved to left wing. Little did we realise why. Luke clearly had better advisers. Anyway Sam's experience playing left back, left wing, striker, right wing, in the hole (all in Saints U21) and then centre mid (his first appearance for Southend) right back and roving winger (all a la Phil Brown) means his understanding is broad. Hopefully he is going to settle at left wing-back for a while but I can see him moving forward again as he develops physically and in experience. I believe he's capable of being a very flexible player in the future. So thanks Shrimpers. All part of the journey. :)

Started in Championship before Premiership-so what?Still learnt everything there,without having to drop right down on loan.
Lallana went out on loan to Bournemouth.

Of course it makes a difference if they break into the team in League 1 or the Championship before the Premiership, it gives them the same experience they'd have got on loan. If Southampton were in the Premiership at the time they'd have been loaned out to a League 1 or Championship team, they wouldn't have been thrown straight into a Premier League team.

Another reason we shouldnt knock PB when he gets loanees in,not only good for our club but also for the personal developement of future young players,and good will with other clubs.Some turn out gems others maybe not quite ready.

There is no doubt Sam learned plenty on loan at southend. The delay in getting a clear chance with the first team at Saints whilst ultra-frustrating had the benefit of him being ready with confidence and maturity when his chance came. That maturity was partially learned living, training and playing with Southend. Sam realised his success was going to be down to him and his mentality when his chance came. I believe you saw glimpses of his ability during his 18 appearances but I'd put the real benefit down to him coping mentally with regular substitutions, defeats and giving away a penalty that led to a 1-2 defeat minutes after just missing out on scoring the winning goal. How you respond to failure is key to future success. Sam was absolutely determined to give it one more go doing his "pre" pre-season training in the Lake District to hit the ground running when returning back to Saints. He didn't want to go out on loan to league one again if he could help it. Koeman leaving and Puel arriving was a crucial key to him getting a chance of course but Sam had to be ready. If it didn't happen this autumn he was going to try elsewhere. The change to left wing-back though a surprise wasn't such a big change for him. He started life as a left back and has always had a defensive capability. At 13/14 years of age Luke Shaw requested moving to left back so Sam got moved to left wing. Little did we realise why. Luke clearly had better advisers. Anyway Sam's experience playing left back, left wing, striker, right wing, in the hole (all in Saints U21) and then centre mid (his first appearance for Southend) right back and roving winger (all a la Phil Brown) means his understanding is broad. Hopefully he is going to settle at left wing-back for a while but I can see him moving forward again as he develops physically and in experience. I believe he's capable of being a very flexible player in the future. So thanks Shrimpers. All part of the journey. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give us an update NND. Really pleased that your lad has broken into the first team. Some of us have even been watching Southampton lately.

Going back 20+ years I do remember some Dutch coaches talking about the benefits of playing in different positons, for them it was compulsory. How can you know what is a really good cross, if you have never tried to be on the end of one.

I know Sam can pick an early pass (Mooney against Sheffield), his cross to Austin, so he has the qualities going forward as do all modern full/wing backs. I look forward to watching him defensively.

One of the things that amuses me about the PL is defenders lack of awareness of where their player is. Good example would be Ross Barkley's goal v West Ham last Sunday. One of the good qualities about Coker and White is that they defend well at the far post, they know who's behind them. That unfortunate penalty at Bury was because of exactly that....Sam had got nice and tight at the far post. I'll forgive him as he will save far more goals than he conceded if he defends nice and tight.:winking:

On behalf of Shrimpers who like to see young talent do well, good luck to both of you.

Might want to double check Lallana, he went on loan to Bournemouth back when they were in a similar position to us. In the premier league if you take someone straight out of the youth team odds are they struggle, and when there's so much money involved in the premier league it's too risky to increase your chance of relegation playing kids. As a result unless you are a wonder kid you'll never break into the squad without picking up league experience on loan, plenty of kids are talented but discipline and experience are just as important and you don't get that in the reserves.

Might want to double check Lallana, he went on loan to Bournemouth back when they were in a similar position to us. In the premier league if you take someone straight out of the youth team odds are they struggle, and when there's so much money involved in the premier league it's too risky to increase your chance of relegation playing kids. As a result unless you are a wonder kid you'll never break into the squad without picking up league experience on loan, plenty of kids are talented but discipline and experience are just as important and you don't get that in the reserves.

Yes,so sorry!
2 appearances+1 as sub for a lowly Bournemouth-that's obviously where he learned all those skills which have made him the best English midfielder! Just possibly his 14 years at Southampton,the top academy club,might have helped just a little!

Really enjoyed that little read, you could certainly see Sam had something about him and his hard work has paid off which sounds like it is in no small part down to a great attitude, I am sure you are very proud! It would be great if you could keep in touch on here because I think a lot of us would be interested in how Sam is progressing and those little insights only somebody close to him could provide.

Dear arrogant Ricey.

This thread is about McQueen.

McQueen's dad posts large on this thread.

McQueen's dad thinks action should be taken against Phil or Ron.

This must repeat must be related to McQueen and his spell at Roots Hall.

Therefore my questioning why he wants action is not off topic or irrelevant.

What is not interesting about why the father of an ex player who posts on the Zone wants action against Phil/Ron?

The question on that thread was about whether It's "time for action" to escalate a move to a new stadium.

Maybe 'Nocky' sees the benefits of what a new stadium, academy and so on has given to his son's team and is simply showing his support for our cause.

Personally, I think people's votes should not be "hung out" on a public forum, accessible to anybody and, in that respect, 'Ricey' was spot on in removing the post, IMHO

Last edited:
Back