• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Same old same old!!!

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I've now experienced every World Cup tournament starting from 1966 (that was a good one because we won it), and each time it comes around I start to get to get excited from the build-up onwards. I always think that England will do well and maybe even win it. The trouble is that apart from my first tournament we have always been nearly men when it comes to the final push. This year's tournament is no different and probably a bit worse because the pundits reckon we have no chance. So can someone please explain to me why:

I have the strange feeling that this year will be different and we will surprise every one.

I feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas.

I keep feeling the need to play the ‘Three Lions’ CD (all versions) over and over again.

I obviously need help but nothing seems to quell that ‘feeling good’ feeling before each World Cup tournament.

Sorry, don't share your enthusiasm at all this time around. I think we'll be lucky to survive the group stage.

I think we'll win the group (I genuinely think we're favourites over Italy and Uruguay are poor at the back). If we get through the group then the round of 16 should be straight forward and Quarters would represent a good campaign.

I've now experienced every World Cup tournament starting from 1966 (that was a good one because we won it), and each time it comes around I start to get to get excited from the build-up onwards. I always think that England will do well and maybe even win it. The trouble is that apart from my first tournament we have always been nearly men when it comes to the final push. This year's tournament is no different and probably a bit worse because the pundits reckon we have no chance. So can someone please explain to me why:

I have the strange feeling that this year will be different and we will surprise every one.

I feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas.

I keep feeling the need to play the ‘Three Lions’ CD (all versions) over and over again.

I obviously need help but nothing seems to quell that ‘feeling good’ feeling before each World Cup tournament.

I saw the title and thought, oh here we go, another England bashing thread. So apologies first of all for jumping to conclusions.

Secondly, I don't know, but like you, I just have a good feeling about this campaign. Clearly I don't think we'll win it, but I reckon England will click and perform above expectations. The World Cup always fills me with a happy happy joy joy feeling anyway, the big carnival atmosphere, the colours, the excitement, the anticipation, the good weather, the multitude of fans, all so different from each other, the nostalgia, Panini Stickers; I think that good feeling just seeps into me, and breeds optimism.

Either way, I'd rather have our hope, and enjoy believing for a little while, than be a miserable sourpuss whose lack of enthusiasm causes their World Cup to be soured by disbelief and negativity. It's a great sporting event, let's enjoy being involved and count ourselves lucky for out(irrational) optimism!

I know exactly how you feel. I feel like a child on Christmas eve. There seems to be hardly any hype or expectation this time, I've only seen a handful of car flags and buildings with flags in the window, which is kind of a shame but maybe it's good that there's less pressure on the team. What's the World Cup without a bit of hope and belief that this could be OUR year?

I'm falling out of love with club football at the top level but I still love the World Cup and I'm actually feeling quite optimistic about England's chances. Maybe I'm getting carried away but I think we have more flair and young talent in the squad than in recent tournaments and are a bit more unpredictable and unknown. We seem to have a better team spirit too (having an ENGLISH manager helps). Players like Sterling, Lallana and Barkley have the potential to really announce themselves on the world stage at this tournament. Yes we have a tough group but Italy aren't the force they were and Uruguay are strong up front but have a weak and ageing defence. If we get the group stages then we'll play the winner/runner-up from group C which is probably the weakest group in the competition, and then you're talking about quarter-finals which would represent a successful tournament for England, at which point we'll probably get knocked out on penalties or a dodgy refereeing decision.

I don't for one minute believe that we can win it but hey let's be a bit more optimistic and enjoy it.

Not bothered at all. More excited about when the league 2 fixture list comes out - that and Celebrity Masterchef.

The strange thing is that there is no expectation or hype from the media, the pressure is almost virtually off the team and the manager.....

The strange thing is that there is no expectation or hype from the media, the pressure is almost virtually off the team and the manager.....

I think possibly lessons have been learned from that awful disaster of taking the WAGs with them a few back.

i agree with ,rhb,every 2 years are the same.we get excited,it builds,then after the first game,BANG,back down to earth..the "boxheads"here in germany are already driving around with flags ,etc all over their cars,its very childish,but might have to get my england car flag out..love annoying the "locals" .come on portugal,usa & ghana

I never have expectations , i just enjoy watching the other nations i dont get to see very often playing, admiring or otherwise their way of playing.Only nation ive never really enjoyed watching is Italy, they nearly always being boring , never really play attacking football.Think they rather take a game to penalties than win it in real time.Sorry but ive never enjoyed Italian football.

The beauty of this tournament is that as a nation we are pretty downbeat about our chances whilst we are all excited by the new crop of young, hungry and talented footballers who have exploded onto the scene.
The so called Golden generation delivered nothing and yet the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and Barkley etc have settled in superbly and do not have any fear at the moment. The future is bright and it means Rooney is not our main hope, which given his performances in tournaments is a blessing.
Looking forward to tonight and us surprising people.
Only wish is we had a better right back to challenge Johnson.

The beauty of this tournament is that as a nation we are pretty downbeat about our chances whilst we are all excited by the new crop of young, hungry and talented footballers who have exploded onto the scene.
The so called Golden generation delivered nothing and yet the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and Barkley etc have settled in superbly and do not have any fear at the moment. The future is bright and it means Rooney is not our main hope, which given his performances in tournaments is a blessing.
Looking forward to tonight and us surprising people.
Only wish is we had a better right back to challenge Johnson.

I agree with you on this. I would play Phil Jones at right back and I wouldn't mind betting that might happen if Johnson doesn't defend better than of late.

Back