• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Same-Sex Marriages

Same-Sex Marriage?

• Yes, allow them.

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • No, civil partnerships are enough.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

pickledseal

cowboy
So how many of you are against?

Spent a lot of time discussing it with students yesterday after the press coverage over the last week...

Also just written about it on my blog: http://talkingdonkeyre.blogspot.com/2012/03/same-sex-marraige-reaction-part-2.html

Basically I think it should be allowed. The legal process redefined marriage a long time ago, but I do feel the CoE and RCC should be allowed to retain their distinctive definitions and allow what they sit fit in their churches.

whats good for the goose and the gander should be good for the geese and the ganders. I think the law change would not apply to marriage in church only registry offices so any issues there shouldn't be an issue.

The Catholic Church is my moral compass: if they are against it, then it's probably a good idea.

If the Daily Mail however takes the opposite stance then the compass just spins maniacally.

The state has about as much place in dictating what constitutes marriage within the CoE or Catholic church as the CoE or Catholic church has of dictating what constitutes marriage for the state.

That said, gay wedding ceremonies conjures up images of an Elton John camp-fest and therefore sounds truly horrific and should probably be outlawed on the grounds of public decency.

It's very simple to me and I'm far from religious though believe fervently in marriage. Marriage in most forms of society seems to have been borne out of a need for stability and procreation. Where the latter is unfortunately not possible adoption isn't far behind. Marriage isn't a right and the ability of people to marry and even easier ability to get divorced has led us down this rocky path to where we are today. Marriage is devalued to the extent that it is almost meaningless.

Call me old fashioned but allowing same sex marriage is the very last nail in the coffin. Don't misunderstand me here my issue is with the devaluation of the union rather than the rights of the gays.

Now we have established that point in my personal opinion if people want to drop anchor in poo bay that's entirely their right. But (again in my opinion) they do so behind closed doors and have no "rights" to anything apart from equal tax treatment. There is no right to procreate and until we evolve into either hermaphrodites or a single sex species if it is against the physical laws of nature and the less than vocal majority forget bringing up kids in a "gay" environment. Live by the pink sword, die by the pink sword.

It's very simple to me and I'm far from religious though believe fervently in marriage. Marriage in most forms of society seems to have been borne out of a need for stability and procreation. Where the latter is unfortunately not possible adoption isn't far behind. Marriage isn't a right and the ability of people to marry and even easier ability to get divorced has led us down this rocky path to where we are today. Marriage is devalued to the extent that it is almost meaningless.

Call me old fashioned but allowing same sex marriage is the very last nail in the coffin. Don't misunderstand me here my issue is with the devaluation of the union rather than the rights of the gays.

Now we have established that point in my personal opinion if people want to drop anchor in poo bay that's entirely their right. But (again in my opinion) they do so behind closed doors and have no "rights" to anything apart from equal tax treatment. There is no right to procreate and until we evolve into either hermaphrodites or a single sex species if it is against the physical laws of nature and the less than vocal majority forget bringing up kids in a "gay" environment. Live by the pink sword, die by the pink sword.
You are old fashioned.

Not sure I really see that argument. If you're against gay people from marrying on that basis are you also against women being able to marry post-menopause? Does that not equally devalue the institution?

I got an invite last week to my cousin's 'wedding' later this year. I haven't seen the invite yet as it went to my parents' place but I assume it's some sort of civil ceremony of some kind. It's not my cup of tea in the least but if it works for them then fair play to them. The Church opposing it just seems to be an example of them not fitting in with the World in the 21st Century.

How about getting rid of the legal concept of marriage and having a legal/civil union for all and any couple. If people want to have an additional "marriage" as well then they can go ahead with the consent of whichever institution is relevant.

That way religions can continue to define marriage as they wish whilst the law and the state doesn't discriminate between the respective arrangements.

Marriage outside of Christianity should be kept separate from Christian marriages. Let same sex marriages be legal, but let the church outlaw same sex Christian marriages if they want to, then everyone is happy.

How about getting rid of the legal concept of marriage and having a legal/civil union for all and any couple. If people want to have an additional "marriage" as well then they can go ahead with the consent of whichever institution is relevant.

That way religions can continue to define marriage as they wish whilst the law and the state doesn't discriminate between the respective arrangements.
that is sensible but I think that many would think hetro's are losing something and blame homo's who are not gaining anything but becoming more equal.

Marriage outside of Christianity should be kept separate from Christian marriages. Let same sex marriages be legal, but let the church outlaw same sex Christian marriages if they want to, then everyone is happy.

this you would think would be the case, but its not been suggested that gay marriages would happen in churches and yet priests have been asking the churchfolk to be very vocal in arguing against gay marriage

Its 2012, who gives a toss.

If they want to get married fine. If the church dont like it then allow marriage outside of the church, what right does any religion have to say what any of us can do if we dont believe in their 2000 year old nonsense. I have more respect for two gay guys or lesbians wanting to commit to each other than some priest, Rabbi or Imam who devote/waste their lives worshipping something on the same level as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

I got married in a church by a vicar and have not once molecule of belief in god, whats it matter ?

I don't see what's so wrong about gay couples wanting to be as miserable as straight married couples. If they want the opportunity to become as cynical and embittered about life and each other as the rest of us, let them.

Personally getting married was best day of my life. Don't really see why someone else should miss out just because they love men not women.

I would like too see a minimum standard if dress code brought in though. Walked past Brighton town hall the other day and I day two gay men dressed as a couple of scruffs in tatty pink suits and pink hats. Not my place to call what's smart and not but I do think marriage should be a life long commitment in the ideal world and I don't like to see it cheapened by a few *****.

Back