• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sankofa.....!!!

YEP, and i agreed with you. He is supposed to be a centre back, but he was awful, just as he is as right back. What I found most amusing, is that when at right back he never comes past the half way line. Last night, he made several runs forward from centre back. He is useless, end of.

Don't agree with that, he's frequently been getting forward down the wing while playing RB, and has had some shots too IIRC.

If there is one thing Tilly must learn from last night it is that Sankofa is NOT, repeat NOT a centre back.

He was dreadful.

Looked frightened whenever he got the ball and only ever gave it to Clarke or Francis. There weren't many other passes but what there was went wayward.

I counted at least 3 times when he let the ball bounce instead of heading clear. That is criminal for a decent adult defender at Sunday league level, let alone a pro footballer.

His positioning was dreadful and I can't actually remember him making a decent challenge all game.

At right back, he does a job. At centre back, he almost becomes the oppositions star player.

Never again in the middle please Tilly.

I thought the same when he started out at right-back, but with a few games under his belt and once he'd grown in confidence in the role he looks a serviceable right-back. Not sure I'd enjoy watching the games it would take him to become comfortable at centre-back though.

I also think he'd have probably looked a hell of a lot better alongside a dominant centre-back rather than Clarke. I'd say no more Clarke and Sankofa together, but Dervite and Sankofa could yet work.

Sorry to be negative after a good win and in the middle of such a good run but if I have to watch him play much more I am going to hurl myself from my seat in the South Upper.

Please feel free. I think this promise from DtS can be the incentive for Osei to play more!

Seriously, to call Osei S*** would be an encouragement to him because he hasn't reached that standard yet!

We know Barrett and Clarkey seem to be very average together in the centre and Dorian has been quality. Last night i believe we should have moved Barrett back to Centre Back with Clarkey and played Francis RB and Herd LB. Lets play people in their proper positions for once!

I've not read the thread but here's my opinion:

Very poor yesterday, either not a centre back or not used to that position enough recently. Normally at right back, no problems with him at all.

I've not read the thread but here's my opinion:

Very poor yesterday, either not a centre back or not used to that position enough recently. Normally at right back, no problems with him at all.
That's a pretty decent summary! He was truly dire at centre-back yesterday but at right-back he's been very solid so I think some of the criticism is a bit over the top, to be honest.

...and you have taken 1 month to realise that he is **** and i knew it all along!
At right-back he wasn't **** at all and was in the side on merit. I'd advise you to listen to Simon Francis' recent interview on BluesWorld, where he admits he'd been poor, lacked concentration and deserved to be dropped (fair play to him for that level of honesty). We won most games with Sankofa in the side and conceded very few goals.

That's a pretty decent summary! He was truly dire at centre-back yesterday but at right-back he's been very solid so I think some of the criticism is a bit over the top, to be honest.

Has he really been good at right back mate?

Him coming into right back seemed to co-inside with a good run but would say that was more to do with Dorian than anything. Ldn Fatso could play right back and still look solid (Football wise not body).

He still cant pass the ball more than 5 yards, he still cant attack and he is still the weakest of the back four by a colchester mile.

Him coming into right back seemed to co-inside with a good run but would say that was more to do with Dorian than anything. Ldn Fatso could play right back and still look solid (Football wise not body).

He still cant pass the ball more than 5 yards, he still cant attack and he is still the weakest of the back four by a colchester mile.
Obviously Dorian made a huge difference but there's no doubt that Sankofa gave the right side of the defence a much more solid look and we were rarely exploited down that side in the same manner as we were when Francis was playing. As bad as Sankofa was last night at centre-back, Franno didn't cover himself in glory either and Joel Porter regularly got in behind him in the second half and created Hartlepool's second goal from that side.

I accept that Sankofa offers much less than Franno going forward but even then I don't think he warrants that much criticism because, as pedestrian as he often is, he rarely gives the ball away either.

At right-back he wasn't **** at all and was in the side on merit. I'd advise you to listen to Simon Francis' recent interview on BluesWorld, where he admits he'd been poor, lacked concentration and deserved to be dropped (fair play to him for that level of honesty). We won most games with Sankofa in the side and conceded very few goals.

Ok, how many goals did we concede when he was at RB without Dorian in the middle?? The reason why we havent been conceding many is because of Dorian and Clarke performing so much better alongside him.

At RB he has been better than Francis defensively but what is the point of having a right back if he isnt going to cross the half way line. Last night how much of our attacking threat came throught Francis. When i went to leicester Osei put one cross in in the whole game and that was in the 93rd minute.

For once, i never thought i'd say this but Wiggy is right.

Obviously Dorian made a huge difference but there's no doubt that Sankofa gave the right side of the defence a much more solid look and we were rarely exploited down that side in the same manner as we were when Francis was playing. As bad as Sankofa was last night at centre-back, Franno didn't cover himself in glory either and Joel Porter regularly got in behind him in the second half and created Hartlepool's second goal from that side.

I accept that Sankofa offers much less than Franno going forward but even then I don't think he warrants that much criticism because, as pedestrian as he often is, he rarely gives the ball away either.

Can see what your saying but Porter must be one of the best players at this level and has scored I dont know 19 odd goals this season. I think most defenders would have found him a handful.

I cant agree about Sankofa not giving it away much either. Felt his attempted balls along the deck to Barney and Theo last night were so obvious it was untrue and they were hoovered up by Fatty Nelson and even Fatter Collins all night.

My other main issue with Sankofa is that all the moves fall down where he is concerened as he takes so long to pick a pass and when he does its rarely a good one.

I cant agree about Sankofa not giving it away much either. Felt his attempted balls along the deck to Barney and Theo last night were so obvious it was untrue and they were hoovered up by Fatty Nelson and even Fatter Collins all night.
Oh, his distribution last night was poor, no doubt about that.

Sankofa came in before that. He played pretty well at Chelsea IIRC.

Its the old Drewe Broughton syndrome - A good game in a high profile fxiture and all the bad stuff is forgiven and your a legend.

That's a bit harsh, as he never got sent off and threatened to do all his good work (aka a tap-in).

Sankofa was a factor in us tightening up in the back over a spell of a couple of months, albeit mainly by not being Simon Francis. I'm not saying he's great, I'm saying he's the Black Che Wilson, someone who can come in and do a job within his limitations. He was cack last night though.

I wouldn't want to build a team around him, but I think he's a decent enough player to have making up the numbers in the squad.

Ok, how many goals did we concede when he was at RB without Dorian in the middle?? The reason why we havent been conceding many is because of Dorian and Clarke performing so much better alongside him.
That's a fair point. However, I think the back four unit as a whole looks more solid with Sankofa there. Just my opinion.
At RB he has been better than Francis defensively but what is the point of having a right back if he isnt going to cross the half way line.
For once, i never thought i'd say this but Wiggy is right.
A right-back's job is to defend first. I'd undertand all the criticism of Sankofa if our results had been poor with him in the side and we'd struggled for goals but the results speak for themselves. Francis is a superb player going forward but even he admits he's been poor defensively this season, and when you're in danger of being sucked into the relegation zone like we were a few weeks ago, creating a solid base becomes all the more vital.

Sorry to be negative after a good win and in the middle of such a good run but if I have to watch him play much more I am going to hurl myself from my seat in the South Upper.

Can someone please explain to me how he has made starts at Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Highbury?

At right back he offers little if anything. A decent basic defender at best but so one dimensional it is untrue going forward.

At centre back last night despite the fact he only really had one out and out forward to deal with (And lets be honest Clarkey had him covered) he still looked poor.

Nearly cost us the game by misjuding the ball that did/didnt hit his hand late on. Every time he went for a header it went upwards not away and his distribution even over 10 yards was appaling. He is no better than Lewis Hunt was and at least he could chip in with the odd goal here and there.

I really hope Tilly see's the light in the summer as I cant watch him anymore. W@nkfoa or Sankawful call him what you will - Enough is enough.

As your location states: In a world of your own.

He is a young player trying to get better with us and putting in decent enough performences. Last night he didn't have the greatest of games, probably the first time he has played at centre back in a good while, with a new partner to boot. Yes he could have probably cost us the game with that handball, but players upfront with tons of chances could also have cost us.

Stop your frigging whining. He might not end up being good enough, but he has been doing ok at right back and deserves to be in the squad.

I thought the same when he started out at right-back, but with a few games under his belt and once he'd grown in confidence in the role he looks a serviceable right-back. Not sure I'd enjoy watching the games it would take him to become comfortable at centre-back though.

I also think he'd have probably looked a hell of a lot better alongside a dominant centre-back rather than Clarke. I'd say no more Clarke and Sankofa together, but Dervite and Sankofa could yet work.

...thought Mildred looked like his old shaky self last night, what do you reckon?

...thought Mildred looked like his old shaky self last night, what do you reckon?

I thought he was decisive, good distribution, good communication with the defence (although Sankofa seemed somehow oblivious to it).

Missed one cross he came for, but that happens from time to time. Not sure if the sight of a six foot four, 14 stone keeper coming at him, put the attacker off or not, but the header went well wide. I'm not going to get overly worried about him missing one cross. He also plucked out a couple of other crosses, including one cut-back that showed the advantage of having a keeper who leaves his line. Good early decision making and a good reach means they looked more straight forward than a lesser keeper might have made them look. It is often the case that the good players make things look easy.

Didn't have much chance with either goal. Made one very smart save, although the linesman's flag was already up, so solid enough display.

How's your beloved doing at Leeds?

I thought he was decisive, good distribution, good communication with the defence (although Sankofa seemed somehow oblivious to it).

Missed one cross he came for, but that happens from time to time. Not sure if the sight of a six foot four, 14 stone keeper coming at him, put the attacker off or not, but the header went well wide. I'm not going to get overly worried about him missing one cross. He also plucked out a couple of other crosses, including one cut-back that showed the advantage of having a keeper who leaves his line. Good early decision making and a good reach means they looked more straight forward than a lesser keeper might have made them look. It is often the case that the good players make things look easy.

Didn't have much chance with either goal. Made one very smart save, although the linesman's flag was already up, so solid enough display.

How's your beloved doing at Leeds?

Leeds wouln't entertain your bloke that's for sure!

Back