• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sat Nav question

bumpkinblue

Schoolboy
need some advice chaps - looking to buy wife sat-nav (TomTom GB V3) for her birthday (what a romantic eh?)
Don't actually know anything about them to be honest but understand there was a previous model (cleverly named GB V2) - just wondered if anyone can say if its worth it or not (£139.99) and also once you have bought it do you have to pay out any more money yearly to update or something?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Iv got a TomTom 300 i think had since it came out good few years back - best thing iv been brought- only use it for football as am lazy :) we all now how to get somewhere via the motorways but its when you get into the town or wanna pull off for a beer:)

once you but the sat nav there is nothing more to pay for but you can buy TomTom add on like speed cams if you go on e bay they cheap as chips you can buy all sorts, and there are so many sat navs out there hard to say whats the best - go halfords and ask for a demo

i think you've gotta get a tom tom. i had a sat nav (can't remember the make) and it always used to take me to the wrong place and suddenly decide to turn off. then got a tom tom and have never had any trouble with it. also very easy to use which is very good.

Vange shrimper - not all of us live in a nicely sign posted area - and also not everyone can possess amazingly good memories enough to remember something off multimap.

Vange shrimper - not all of us live in a nicely sign posted area - and also not everyone can possess amazingly good memories enough to remember something off multimap.

Vange isn't a nicely signed area either!

I wasn't criticizing, just my view. Personally I wouldnt have a Sat Nav, but that's just me. :)

I really can't see the point of having SatNav when all you have to do is look it up on multimap/atlas before leaving then remembering what route to take.

Convenience.....no map books to carry about, no need to faff about on the internet plus the map is there in front of you on a nice little screen.

And it means that theres someone else to blame when it sends you the wrong way. :p

There should be PubNav aswell......not only legible to get you there but even better get you home again...

Thanks very much for the comments chaps - i think i'll take the plunge and buy her one - as for me (being a bit of a technophobe) i'll stick to the time honoured road signs for a bit longer!

Vange isn't a nicely signed area either!
I wasn't criticizing, just my view. Personally I wouldnt have a Sat Nav, but that's just me. :)

Theres a reason for that :) If its not labelled we can pretend it doesnt exist!

As to satnavs got my first one a few weeks ago and they are superb.

They save not only having to look up the route but also remove all stress and concentration from the journey. Rather than concentrating on what juntion you are at or where you need to turn off you can just pay attention to the road and the actual driving.

They do some funny things sometimes but am really impressed how well it did whilst I was travelling around Norfolks country roads. (Is Norfolk really on the way to Devon though?!)

I go driving in the Dales and no need to wory about getting lost. It's difficult to read a map while driving!

Ive got the Nokia N95 (phone) its got sat nav on there but not to sure how to use. Any one have any ideas? ive seen on ebay theres a programme you can get for it but not to sure how it works

I have Sat Nav in my car, but it's the manufacturers own, rather than after-market. It has its advantages, and I can honestly say I wouldn't be without one now. Although it is a bit wayward on occasions.

A fella at work has recently bought one for his Wife and got a Tom Tom for about £200. Not sure which model, but I would have thought you can find out approximately by price. He reckons it's the business and has loads of features.

Don't know if that helps.

I have Sat Nav in my car, but it's the manufacturers own, rather than after-market. It has its advantages, and I can honestly say I wouldn't be without one now. Although it is a bit wayward on occasions.

A fella at work has recently bought one for his Wife and got a Tom Tom for about £200. Not sure which model, but I would have thought you can find out approximately by price. He reckons it's the business and has loads of features.

Don't know if that helps.

My mate has a tom tom. We played a football tourno in Brighton and after the game we fancied a pint. On the sat nav it found the nearest pub and lead us directly there. Quailty little gadget

Back