• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
I mentioned in an earlier post that I would really enjoy grinning at Crawley Town, their manager and fans if we were to beat them in a hypothetical Play-Off Final at Wembley.

So, what has been your most satisfying (if almost certainly cruel & heartless) moment at your opponents expense?

Mine was possibly April 1990 at Layer Road.
Such a crucial game. We needed a win to get a "wobbling" promotion bid back on track - whilst if Col U lost they would require a miracle to stay in The Football League.

We won 2-0. Amid all the euphoria in that shambles of an away end I looked to my right at the nearest Col U supporters and saw a site to remember.
For years I had seen these two Col U fans at matches and at motorway service stations as they, like me, followed their team around the country. They could not be missed. Both wore denim jackets that were completely covered in Colchester United badges..at least I think they were denim as completely covered. They had long hair, Col U scarves and were not small lads. A daft looking couple of Hairy biker types but without any obvious aggression.
They both stood there, grown men, realising that their club had been virtually condemned to non-league football by their great rivals who in turn boasted of the promotion to come. Then...they both cried!! Honest!!
Was brilliant.

Your great.. but oh so cruel moment?? At whose expense??

Layerbout Road for me too

Saturday March 4th 2006, the table looked like this ...

1 Southend United 35 64
2 Huddersfield 35 60
3 Col Ewe 33 59

It was a huge HUGE match, and indeed was being billed a title decider .. Anglia TV were there for a special report .. i remember watching that report on the Monday evening, as we celebrated going 3 up in barely half an hour the camera zoomed in on a couple of farm hands in floods of tears ... PRICELESS

Layerbout Road for me too

Saturday March 4th 2006, the table looked like this ...

1 Southend United 35 64
2 Huddersfield 35 60
3 Col Ewe 33 59

It was a huge HUGE match, and indeed was being billed a title decider .. Anglia TV were there for a special report .. i remember watching that report on the Monday evening, as we celebrated going 3 up in barely half an hour the camera zoomed in on a couple of farm hands in floods of tears ... PRICELESS

As it should be!!

Well there could be this season borient are very very close to the trap door ,just to see them go down would be be a nice bonus

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would really enjoy grinning at Crawley Town, their manager and fans if we were to beat them in a hypothetical Play-Off Final at Wembley.

So, what has been your most satisfying (if almost certainly cruel & heartless) moment at your opponents expense?

Mine was possibly April 1990 at Layer Road.
Such a crucial game. We needed a win to get a "wobbling" promotion bid back on track - whilst if Col U lost they would require a miracle to stay in The Football League.

We won 2-0. Amid all the euphoria in that shambles of an away end I looked to my right at the nearest Col U supporters and saw a site to remember.
For years I had seen these two Col U fans at matches and at motorway service stations as they, like me, followed their team around the country. They could not be missed. Both wore denim jackets that were completely covered in Colchester United badges..at least I think they were denim as completely covered. They had long hair, Col U scarves and were not small lads. A daft looking couple of Hairy biker types but without any obvious aggression.
They both stood there, grown men, realising that their club had been virtually condemned to non-league football by their great rivals who in turn boasted of the promotion to come. Then...they both cried!! Honest!!
Was brilliant.

Your great.. but oh so cruel moment?? At whose expense??
Ahhh yes a good description of a couple of my pals :)
One of them still travels to all the away matches:thumbsup: Funny you should mention him coz on Saturday he was apparently on the bus when it breaked sharply he went flying and smacked his head:stunned:
I can also confirm he was crying at Yeovil when we got promoted. :)

Like Kevin I was at that Colu game in 1990 that virtually put them out of the League. That felt really good.

Another game that springs to mind was the last game of the season 1999-2000 against Cheltenham at home, we had nothing to play for they needed to win to make the playoffs it was 1-1 with a few minutes to go and they were pushing forward when Nathan Jones gets the ball well into our own half and goes on a run that Messi or Maradona would have been proud of beating goodness knows how many players before slotting the ball home. The looks on the Cheltenham fans and players faces was a picture. Their season ends on a wonder goal from a nothing player playing for a team with nothing to play for.

Back