• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saudi show how to treat those who break the laws

Or more likely, the fact that it's the country's law is why we don't do anything, she obviously knew this was a possibility when she drove in protest. Yes it's barbaric but it is the law in that country, we can't do much more than put pressure on the Saudi government to change the law, and obviously we aren't going to do that. Besides the law will probably be phased out on it's own, if women's right to vote is being introduced, the right to drive can't be that far behind.

Vote is being introduced for a tiny % of women and is just symbolic. She did know the risk when she got behind the wheel and obviously was willing to for the greater good, so much respect to her for that. Anyone that breaks any political law in that country deserves our respect and support as the stakes for the individual are very high.

Vote is being introduced for a tiny % of women and is just symbolic. She did know the risk when she got behind the wheel and obviously was willing to for the greater good, so much respect to her for that. Anyone that breaks any political law in that country deserves our respect and support as the stakes for the individual are very high.
Fair enough, I don't have much knowledge on the subject if that's the case then I'll take back the last sentence. I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve respect, I'm just saying that as she knew the risk it is perhaps not as barbaric as say Gaddafi, who was killing people for little reason. I'm also not sure how bad these lashings are, does anyone know if they are likely to leave the woman with a long term injury?

Fair enough, I don't have much knowledge on the subject if that's the case then I'll take back the last sentence. I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve respect, I'm just saying that as she knew the risk it is perhaps not as barbaric as say Gaddafi, who was killing people for little reason. I'm also not sure how bad these lashings are, does anyone know if they are likely to leave the woman with a long term injury?
She would definately know the risk she was taking that is true. The regime there is brutal and autocratic and there is very little political opposition as it has never been allowed to exist. The 'Arab Spring' there was one protest and was cleared from the streets 15 minutes after it started.

She would definately know the risk she was taking that is true. The regime there is brutal and autocratic and there is very little political opposition as it has never been allowed to exist. The 'Arab Spring' there was one protest and was cleared from the streets 15 minutes after it started.
I'm sure our government won't care unless they decide they want to take some oil though :/

I cannot believe the world turns such a blind eye to this sort of barbaric treatment...Oh The USA are there mates so it's ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15079620
Roll the years back and it's not terribly dissimilar to Emeline Pankhurst and the Suffragettes - breaking the law in the name of progressive and equalising laws for women. Let's see the Human Rights lot get on this case rather than defending those who don't deserve it.

I'm all for stricter punishments but there has to be equality and fairness along the way. This is just degrading to women, why shouldn't they drive? This is the 21st century and women are NOT second class citizens. In a civilised and very rich country there is no excuse for such degrading laws being in place, and if the US is such a good friend then Obama ought to make sure they bloody well know!

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Saudi have very strict punishments for most crimes, its in their culture:

The death penalty can be imposed for a wide range of offences including murder, rape, armed robbery, repeated drug use, apostasy, adultery,witchcraft and sorcery and can be carried out by beheading with a sword, stoning or firing squad, followed by crucifixion.

Keeping women off the road is probably a good idea as it allows more space for the blokes to drive round like maniacs.

Mind you, I can think of a downside, who has to go and get the shopping?

10-lash sentence on a Saudi woman for driving a car has been revoked by King Abdullah.

Back