• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Due to the local authority cuts, a massive number of libraries across the country face closure. The residents of Stony Stratford (near MK), have withdrawn every single book of the libraries 16,000 stock in protest at the councils plans to close it. What a fantastic idea, and one that's got them alot of attention, newsnight will be featuring them tonight...

Stony Stratford Library

More on the library closures

Personally I think it's a disgrace that some many libraries are threatened with closure (not to mention the idea of making librarians a voluntary position), they provide many services for communities not just books.

I agree with you, apart from books I can get DVD's. CD's & audio books from my local library. Plus they offer free use of computers for internet and also access to various software for spreadsheets/word processing etc. They provide free access to most newspapers and reference books and also have a weekly thing for under 5's (I think) helping with their learning and reading skills.

IMO many local authorities are using libraries and other services as a "soft touch" for closure rather than tackle the dead wood staff and non jobs that many councils carry.

Nice one Stony Stratford! I agree, it is an absolute disgrace that libraries are threatened with closure.

I agree with you, apart from books I can get DVD's. CD's & audio books from my local library. Plus they offer free use of computers for internet and also access to various software for spreadsheets/word processing etc. They provide free access to most newspapers and reference books and also have a weekly thing for under 5's (I think) helping with their learning and reading skills.

IMO many local authorities are using libraries and other services as a "soft touch" for closure rather than tackle the dead wood staff and non jobs that many councils carry.

Exactly. Not too mention they provide space for local groups to post notices & information, provide courses on the internet for old folks etc., all sorts of local information & resources.

As the Manics once said "Libraries gave us power"

Nice one Stony Stratford! I agree, it is an absolute disgrace that libraries are threatened with closure.

It's a brilliant way of showing their local council what they think & drawing attention to the cause, users of other threatened libraries across the country should take note & follow suit!

Exactly. Not too mention they provide space for local groups to post notices & information, provide courses on the internet for old folks etc., all sorts of local information & resources.

As the Manics once said "Libraries gave us power"

It's a brilliant way of showing their local council what they think & drawing attention to the cause, users of other threatened libraries across the country should take note & follow suit!

Good point there's always lots of info about local groups, clubs etc. The only downside I can see is they don't have a Kindle library. :winking:

I am a bit disappointed they don't have access to a Kindle library.

Personally, I have not used a library for a number of years now, but my Dad still goes every week and as Drastic & Harry both mention it enables him and others access to a whole host of services and groups etc.

One of my earliest memories is walking one afternoon each week after school with my Dad to Westcliff library and selecting my Paddington Bear or similar reading books and then picking out any book with an 'SF' reference on the side to help my Dad choose his Science Fiction books.

Such a great idea by way of a protest, I hope they succeed and can be an example for other such closures.

We were lucky to obtain this rare picture of Rox from the last time she was in fact reading a book.:smiles:

LezendeOudeVrouw.jpg

A great idea by those residents. I haven't used a public library for years either, but used to all the time when younger and it'd be a massive shame if the Con-Dems were to destroy them.

We were lucky to obtain this rare picture of Rox from the last time she was in fact reading a book.:smiles:

LezendeOudeVrouw.jpg

At least Paddington Bear had been written when she was a child.

FWIW, I think libraries are fantastic and use my one regularly, but I can't agree that it's a disgrace that they are being threatened with closure. It's undoubtedly a shame but not a disgrace. There might be some individual cases that are a disgrace (and I wonder how many people who have joined in that protest, it was the first book they'd got out for a while), but then there are just as likely to be some which probably should be shut down.

As much as I enjoy being able to borrow free of charge pretty much any book I want, I think it's actually pretty difficult to justify it.

I'd also question the utility of libraries that are now dominated by CDs and DVDs.

A great idea by those residents. I haven't used a public library for years either, but used to all the time when younger and it'd be a massive shame if the Con-Dems were to destroy them.

I agree with the sentiment about libraries Jon, but it'll come down to local authorities not the government. As I said earlier in this thread public services such as libraries are a soft target when they could make savings in many areas such as divesting themselves of the 100's of non jobs and paper pushing out reach coordinators that many councils employ.

I agree with the sentiment about libraries Jon, but it'll come down to local authorities not the government. As I said earlier in this thread public services such as libraries are a soft target when they could make savings in many areas such as divesting themselves of the 100's of non jobs and paper pushing out reach coordinators that many councils employ.

Yes I agree, I take that back about it solely being the govt's fault.

Due to the local authority cuts, a massive number of libraries across the country face closure. The residents of Stony Stratford (near MK), have withdrawn every single book of the libraries 16,000 stock in protest at the councils plans to close it. What a fantastic idea, and one that's got them alot of attention, newsnight will be featuring them tonight...
Stony Stratford Library

More on the library closures

Personally I think it's a disgrace that some many libraries are threatened with closure (not to mention the idea of making librarians a voluntary position), they provide many services for communities not just books.

Didn't see anything about it on Newsnight last night.

Back