• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Save Our Southend

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
I would like to start it by thanking the zone owners for giving their blessing and support for this post.

Social media links
SOS Facebook Page (with over 6,000 followers already)

SOS Twitter

Save Our Southend has been reignited as a movement after 10 years and is need now more than ever for a change in direction for dealing with the club.

A committee has been formed of Southend fans from across political and social divides as well as factions, all who have different key skills that they have brought to the table, we have already had our first committee meeting and some superb ideas and actions have been planned.
This not about egos or personalities, it’s about our club that we all love, there will be some who don’t like me (what’s new there lol) or what we are doing but as I said it’s not about me or you as individuals.... it’s about all of us as fans.
For as long as I can remember our fans have been splintered, cut up by Ron and taken down one by one.
Our aim is to unite under one banner to push for change at Roots Hall and raise awareness of the plight at our club not just locally but nation wide.

Many have said “but you won’t get rid of Ron” well maybe but who knows? But giving up is not an option.
Securing the future of the club after Ron is just as important and something to be addressed as well as I said previously by pushing the agenda to the national football fans community. For instance we have been in contact with Charlton fans over how they pushed for change, what worked and what did not for them, contact with the likes of Blackpool and Leyton Orient will follow.

Certain groups within our fan base will never in my eyes or at least for the time being stand up and fight back and it’s a constant process of ask and retreat.... ask and retreat... ask and retreat

It’s always a sad situation when communication between a football club and fans breakdown and it’s not something that any faction/group/organisation should take lightly, but sometimes action must be taken and we must be brave in doing so.
For too long we have witnessed in meetings or public statements from the club the same pattern which we have shown in this very crude process chart....

Fans complain
|
Club meets with fans
|
Select questions are answered by the club, the tough questions we all want answers for we don’t get an answer and this is glossed over in meeting reports. Club gets off lightly again!
|
Some agreements are made and within a few weeks most are broken and or not followed up
|
Back to square one and repeat the process all over again year on year.​

Now when does this madness end? And I call it madness because surely doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is the very cornerstone of delusion!
If others want to carry on this charade stuck in the ‘Groundhog Day Loop of Doom’ then enjoy, but tell me what you are achieving? It’s no wonder numbers have been flocking to our way of thinking because we have tried the other avenues we have tried the other methods.
Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, like a cancer eating away at our club just taking pain killers only masquerades the situation while our club rots on the inside.
If you want a different approach then SOS are the fans who will be doing such a thing.

When or how did we as fans end up fearing the club? Frightened to risk a position in the clubs' inner circle, our fans have been downtrodden and browbeaten for as long as I can remember.

We all love Southend United but as in any relationship it has to work both ways based on respect for one another, and if the balance is wrong? The proverbial ‘being under the thumb’ on side takes place.

It’s time to stand up
It’s time to say #notapennymore
We want better for our club and the answers the fans deserve.

More news and updates will be coming in the next few days and weeks, keep an eye on out Twitter and Facebook and we shall update on a regular basis

Support Save our Southend!

Last edited:
We will always answer any questions, we will listen and we will act on that, this is a team effort!

Just to add to that, if anyone would like to help with this movement for change at SUFC please get in touch with me on here or you can email me, we are broad church NOT a closed shop.

saveoursouthend@gmail.com

www.Facebook.com/saveoursouthend

Last edited:
I'm fully behind this. I've sat through three meetings in the last year and all of them really positive - but ultimately nothing changes. Same old, same old.

The stark reality is - this team isn't good enough for the division below and its owner no longer possesses the football acumen to get us out of this and doesn't seem to grasp the gravity of where we're heading.

All of a sudden that new stadium becomes redundant, but you still need houses.....

Any initiative to get something out of RM regarding how he sees the future of our club without all the blindsiding of questions with the normal "it's to sensitive to say" bull**** gets my vote.

Something has to be done and by his response so far in wanting to talk when it suits him! is maybe a step forward, we shall see. One thing is 100% sure we can't just sit here and wait for Rome to burn.

Good luck with this.

If you do start asking for donations or running events to raise a fighting fund, ensure you have alternative routes of spending should the money not be necessary.

We did it few years back, when things looked bleak, in the end the money raised wasn't necessary and is now just sitting in an account which can't be used as it was collected for a specific purpose.

Good luck with this.

If you do start asking for donations or running events to raise a fighting fund, ensure you have alternative routes of spending should the money not be necessary.

We did it few years back, when things looked bleak, in the end the money raised wasn't necessary and is now just sitting in an account which can't be used as it was collected for a specific purpose.
Fully agree, a fighting fund has already started and all monies will be accounted for by our treasurer, all spending will be announced and value for money is a must (many fans have offered services for free or at cost)
If at the end money has not been used we will poll our members what to do with it with a few different options like giving it to an elected charity something like that. If at any point anybody is unhappy if they have made a donation they are welcome to their money back as all donations are recorded.

Echo Cricko and LF’s thoughts, we have put up with this treatment for way too long. We get to this point and then he will hide it away with a marquee signing or news of the stadium to paper over the worsening cracks.

Action needs to be taken before we end up in a situation like Bury, Rushden, Darlington and so many other clubs that have been ruined by chairmen.

Great effort Scott and co I really do hope you can get somewhere as others have tried to no avail.

Erm....that's a bit harsh.
Kay with all due respect, I think it’s more factual, SOS have no issue with the trust with what they do for raising funds - junior blues - charities (Though I think that the trust are effectively a charity and should work to maximise their own coffers as much as it is a noble thing to do) Nobody is questioning any efforts it's the method towards the club that many have an issue with.

The real issue here is the trust have been back and forward including other groups to Ron Martin and what do we have to show for it nothing! The last zoom meeting with the club a month or so back I left more confused and in doubt than when I went in.
Then as soon as SOS starts to gain traction as if by magic the trust releases a statement and the club follows suit, all of this is reactionary not proactive.
You can see over the last two seasons especially that fans have had enough and have joined us in numbers (over 6,000) on Facebook alone because they believe that the methods that have been used in the past are not working. Our group would have no need to exist if the trust had taken the club by the scruff of the neck and led the charge on this for the fans, they were the organisation to do it....... And they have not and won't stand by any longer with Rons or the trusts dithering and delaying.

A good working relationship with the trust is key between other groups like ours and the club, but when it comes to the club talk is cheap and in my view it's time t step away until Ron Martin will answer fully questions hanging over the cub

As I put in my statement earlier this whole situation is groundhog day over and over again

We welcome the trust always but these are the hard truths it's time for change and deep down I think you agree

I would like to start it by thanking the zone owners for giving their blessing and support for this post.

Social media links

SOS Twitter

Save Our Southend has been reignited as a movement after 10 years and is need now more than ever for a change in direction for dealing with the club.

A committee has been formed of Southend fans from across political and social divides as well as factions, all who have different key skills that they have brought to the table, we have already had our first committee meeting and some superb ideas and actions have been planned.
This not about egos or personalities, it’s about our club that we all love, there will be some who don’t like me (what’s new there lol) or what we are doing but as I said it’s not about me or you as individuals.... it’s about all of us as fans.
For as long as I can remember our fans have been splintered, cut up by Ron and taken down one by one.
Our aim is to unite under one banner to push for change at Roots Hall and raise awareness of the plight at our club not just locally but nation wide.

Many have said “but you won’t get rid of Ron” well maybe but who knows? But giving up is not an option.
Securing the future of the club after Ron is just as important and something to be addressed as well as I said previously by pushing the agenda to the national football fans community. For instance we have been in contact with Charlton fans over how they pushed for change, what worked and what did not for them, contact with the likes of Blackpool and Leyton Orient will follow.

Certain groups within our fan base will never in my eyes or at least for the time being stand up and fight back and it’s a constant process of ask and retreat.... ask and retreat... ask and retreat

It’s always a sad situation when communication between a football club and fans breakdown and it’s not something that any faction/group/organisation should take lightly, but sometimes action must be taken and we must be brave in doing so.
For too long we have witnessed in meetings or public statements from the club the same pattern which we have shown in this very crude process chart....

Fans complain
|
Club meets with fans
|
Select questions are answered by the club, the tough questions we all want answers for we don’t get an answer and this is glossed over in meeting reports. Club gets off lightly again!
|
Some agreements are made and within a few weeks most are broken and or not followed up
|

Now when does this madness end? And I call it madness because surely doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is the very cornerstone of delusion!
If others want to carry on this charade stuck in the ‘Groundhog Day Loop of Doom’ then enjoy, but tell me what you are achieving? It’s no wonder numbers have been flocking to our way of thinking because we have tried the other avenues we have tried the other methods.
Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, like a cancer eating away at our club just taking pain killers only masquerades the situation while our club rots on the inside.
If you want a different approach then SOS are the fans who will be doing such a thing.

When or how did we as fans end up fearing the club? Frightened to risk a position in the clubs' inner circle, our fans have been downtrodden and browbeaten for as long as I can remember.

We all love Southend United but as in any relationship it has to work both ways based on respect for one another, and if the balance is wrong? The proverbial ‘being under the thumb’ on side takes place.

It’s time to stand up

More news and updates will be coming in the next few days and weeks, keep an eye on out Twitter and Facebook and we shall update on a regular basis

Don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing and please don't take this as shooting you down. With every project you need to know the barriers that are in your way and also what you can realistically achieve.

I think the real reason that the fans are splintered and Ron gets away with it is because Ron has manufactured a situation where we are pretty f**ked without him. From where I am standing there looks to be 2 options:

1. Look to depose Ron knowing that we are heavily in debt to him and in all likelihood see the club go under and start from scratch, but in control.

2. Reluctantly let Ron carry on.

I am happy to hear other possibilities if someone thinks they have spotted another way?

What I really want to know is the end game for this project? Completely agree that the current situation is a joke, but think the reason we feel so helpless is because we are to an extent.

Are there minutes available for the meeting/s you have had? I think support would be more likely if there was transparency around what you were trying to do. I know it is a projest in its infancy so perhaps that is all coming anyway?

Social media links

SOS Twitter

Fans complain
|
Club meets with fans
|
|
|

It’s time to stand up

Long overdue action is required. Well done Scott and the team. I believe every single Southend United supporter who loves and cares for our club should add their voice. I know for a fact that Ron Martin was beginning to believe that there was a few rebel "nutters" who are in a tiny minority - while the majority approve of his management of the club. The ONLY way that Ron Martin will realise the concern among our honest, decent and passionate support is to join this group. Is perhaps your last chance to be heard.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing and please don't take this as shooting you down. With every project you need to know the barriers that are in your way and also what you can realistically achieve.

I think the real reason that the fans are splintered and Ron gets away with it is because Ron has manufactured a situation where we are pretty f**ked without him. From where I am standing there looks to be 2 options:

1. Look to depose Ron knowing that we are heavily in debt to him and in all likelihood see the club go under and start from scratch, but in control.

I am happy to hear other possibilities if someone thinks they have spotted another way?

What I really want to know is the end game for this project? Completely agree that the current situation is a joke, but think the reason we feel so helpless is because we are to an extent.

Are there minutes available for the meeting/s you have had? I think support would be more likely if there was transparency around what you were trying to do. I know it is a projest in its infancy so perhaps that is all coming anyway?
Thanks for the comments (which we welcome all good and bad)
This is a long term thing, whilst we want new ownership at SUFC we have to be realistic, you are correct is that Ron calls the tune and as a business owner that is his right to do so.

However this is not just about right now it's about getting answers to the questions about Southend and our future and the safeguarding of that future, for example who will own the stadium? Will it be given to the club? It's to put pressure on to have these questions answered.

We also have the community impact this will have being in non league with loca trade and business suffering as well as club staff

Raising awareness is an aim as well, if you look at football in the UK who really knows about Southends plight? Not that many yet look at Blackpool, Orient and Charlton for example, these fans put there situation on the map and we plan to do the same reaching out nationwide to gather support and highlight fit a proper ownership of clubs in football.

In the past we have made it too easy for the club to treat the fans with utter contempt, using organisations as a cash cow to sponsor the youth team, this sort of money should be garnered from outside companies not us fans!

Fan money should always be the last resort, I fear the club dip into that well to often and when it's really needed who is going to continue to say yes!?

Enough is enough

Hope that answered what you needed to know, if you want to speak further inbox me or Facebook or even call me I will take a phone call from any concerned Southend fan any day of the week, it's the only way we can work together

I think GNH and TrueBlue have answered that for me. No disrespect to the Trust and the great work they do but as Scott says they’ve become more of a charity than a force to make change at the club. Don’t take offence to it but I just feel a change in tact could be the answer. It may not be but all for trying!

It’s not a dig at the Trust! I am a member and fully support them. Don’t take what I said personally.

Hi Kay, The Trust do a fabulous job for the club in different areas but standing up to the man that has blatantly prioritised his own, personal dream development over the football side of the club to an extent that we are heading non league - is not one of them.

I
I think GNH and TrueBlue have answered that for me. No disrespect to the Trust and the great work they do but as Scott says they’ve become more of a charity than a force to make change at the club. Don’t take offence to it but I just feel a change in tact could be the answer. It may not be but all for trying!

It’s not a dig at the Trust! I am a member and fully support them. Don’t take what I said personally.
I am a life member myself but as you say its not a war against the trust this is about changing tact direction
We can only try!

Back