• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Save Our Southend

Very interesting debate, and agree that there ought to be a accountability for the demise of our beloved club, but it needs to be in a positive, action focused manner, not a blaming fest! Bottom line, regardless of the hurt of the last few seasons, the sadness at the likely loss of our league status, and despair at how we have ended up here, we need to draw a line, and stop throwing stones over the parapet!

I will offer my support, when it becomes clear what the objectives of this group are, and more importantly how it brings the various fan groups and the vastly different, but equally valid opinions together.

If you need help to create a consensus and clear direction of travel, i can offer some support to help develop a short term and a longer term strategy. Learning from the mistakes made by other club's supporter takeover groups, and gaining their input and support is also vital.

First thing first though, regardless of my personal views, any solution needs to include Ron in some way, as he has controlling interest of our club both legally and financially. Forcing the issue is not going to help - you need to really understand his motivations (and i expect we can all guess at this, but we dont know what is in his head). When we do know this categorically, the group needs to be creating practical and and financially viable commercial solutions that will help him to achieve them. Working with him, difficult though that might be if he doesnt want to work with a group of individuals, will make any future planning and potential takeover easier. He will be far more likely respond positively to a commercial approach than an emotive angry fan group calling for his head in the gallows! Hostile takeover attempts in the business world tend to create havoc and have at least as many problems as opportunities are created - but leave significant bad feeling and casulties in their wake. The Trust also need to be a key stakeholder, as whilst objectives may be different, the Trust are an official key stakeholder and have to be fully engaged. This means creating a fully worked through plan before anyone approaches Ron for the inevitable conversations about thd club's future. It also needs to be funded, with a plan to raise the required funding to allow a constructive conversation with Ron to even start. Why do you think the discussions with the Henrick Laarson consortium took precedence over a managerial appointment when he sacked KB? Nothing to do with our need for on the pitch success, much more to do with a financial settlement to give Ron his exit strategy. My personal view is that in the midst of the stadium and housing build, the football itself has become an inconvenient and expensive side show, that he can only put a limited investment in, financially and emotionally.

This situation needs a full strategic business approach (are there plans to set up a community interest company or similar?) or it will become another disparate talking shop. Harsh maybe, but it is the reason why nothing else has worked so far. As i say, happy to offer help and support but only if it is going to be done as a strategic long term commercial solution. Economic development and local employment opportunities are high on every local authority's agenda, so it could be a good time to get a formal plan in place.
Of course I would not expect support from all until the plans are fully presented. That is ongoi as we speak, in full and in depth detail

Of course I would not expect support from all until the plans are fully presented. That is ongoi as we speak, in full and in depth detail

To reiterate, if i can offer support to help refine some of this let me know. I develop apprenticeship strategies for a living, and work in the economic development arena. I also have an MBA (not mentioned to try to impress anyone, but more that i am trained in strategic management ).

To reiterate, if i can offer support to help refine some of this let me know. I develop apprenticeship strategies for a living, and work in the economic development arena. I also have an MBA (not mentioned to try to impress anyone, but more that i am trained in strategic management ).

Interesting and off topic; I also have helped with apprenticeship frameworks (maritime industry)

I would guess the money he has ”loaned in” which is rumoured as around 15million and the price of the land no idea what thats worth

i have no idea through just going on rumours

Roots Hall permission probably worth £25m alone.

This is the tight spot we're in. Club is assetless and worthless in the grand scheme of things. But he'll want tens of millions to pay off his debt to the club and to cover the worth of his developments.

This is the tight spot we're in. Club is assetless and worthless in the grand scheme of things. But he'll want tens of millions to pay off his debt to the club and to cover the worth of his developments.
Agree i was guesstimating on rumours

Ron has stated he won't call in the debt if the scheme goes ahead. Others on here were at the same evening as me when he said it.

This should be one of the first objectives of the group. Ron making it clear what he will do about the debt. How that is handled might be your yardstick and would be a good achievement to ensure £20m is rubbed off the slate.

But do make sure he pays the local businesses what he owes....I'm one of them.

Superb, will drop you a message in due course

These are my views for what its worth from someone who has supported my home town club for over 55 years introduced by my father aged 11 years. Having gone through the Jobson and Johnson years and others we are a club that has yo yo existence from the old 4th and 3rd divison since its inception baring one season in the Championship.Always at the beck and call of one or more individuals in charge of running the club.

We are now approaching a major cross roads facing all supporters its possible demise from EFL and falling into Non League for the first time in its 100 year history.

So the question is how to get Ron Martin to communicate openly to all fans and explain why we are where we are and what is he planning to do about sorting it out.

As far as i can see reading this article is the new SOS supporters group thinks they can do a better job than the current Shrimpers Trust which has failed.I have no connection with the trust not a member and not aware of anyone who is,just a ordinary supporter.Why cant your group join forces with the trust and form a united front rather than a separate one,which Ron could most likely play one off against the other which will be counter productive.

I however agree something needs to be done to get Ron to be more open we us.

I cant see Ron selling up anytime soon until the stadium is approved he has got to much at stake.He is unlikely to say what is intentions are.

We must be very carefull in pushing too hard to get him to sell up, Ron is not perfect but as the saying goes about knowing about the devil you know as against the one you dont.

Finally we all want Southend United to survive what ever league we are in,for me the club must survive to go under completely is something i cant consider.

These are my views for what its worth from someone who has supported my home town club for over 55 years introduced by my father aged 11 years. Having gone through the Jobson and Johnson years and others we are a club that has yo yo existence from the old 4th and 3rd divison since its inception baring one season in the Championship.Always at the beck and call of one or more individuals in charge of running the club.

We are now approaching a major cross roads facing all supporters its possible demise from EFL and falling into Non League for the first time in its 100 year history.

So the question is how to get Ron Martin to communicate openly to all fans and explain why we are where we are and what is he planning to do about sorting it out.

As far as i can see reading this article is the new SOS supporters group thinks they can do a better job than the current Shrimpers Trust which has failed.I have no connection with the trust not a member and not aware of anyone who is,just a ordinary supporter.Why cant your group join forces with the trust and form a united front rather than a separate one,which Ron could most likely play one off against the other which will be counter productive.

I however agree something needs to be done to get Ron to be more open we us.

I cant see Ron selling up anytime soon until the stadium is approved he has got to much at stake.He is unlikely to say what is intentions are.

We must be very carefull in pushing too hard to get him to sell up, Ron is not perfect but as the saying goes about knowing about the devil you know as against the one you dont.

Finally we all want Southend United to survive what ever league we are in,for me the club must survive to go under completely is something i cant consider.

I’m Impressed you can not only use a computer or phone device at your age but also using it for forums. Well done fella .

I’m still feeling this a Tommeh type donation as we still have no idea what the money is going to. Once you actually set up a clear objective and end game, then, you might get more support . Still very vague..

Back