• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Difference is that no transfer has taken place between Manchester United & Liverpool since 1964, that player being ex Shrimper Phil Chisnall whose move of course has now become an infamous trivia question.

as long as that question comes up on Eggheads you'll be ok!

In this day and age, managers live and die by their signings. Benitez got it right with the likes of Reina and Torres, but Ferguson and Wenger rarely sign duds QUOTE]

Id strongly question Ferguson's purchasing record. Ive always viewed it as very hit and miss. He has been fortunate that (until now?) the club was in such a strong financial position that for every amount lost on a Veron, Kleberson, Bellion etc he is able to keep buying replacements til he gets it right, whilst relying on the core of the team that came through in the mid/late 90's.

Rafa's signings though have been pretty negligent and despite the money they have spent to become a 2 man team is a woeful indictment of the players he has bought.

Torres out for 6 weeks with torn knee cartilage... Rafa's job just got considerably harder.

Torres out for 6 weeks and needs an op
Beniyoun (sorry if spelt wrong) out for 4
Stevie G out for at least 2 weeks

Doesnt look good for Liverpool.

In this day and age, managers live and die by their signings. Benitez got it right with the likes of Reina and Torres, but Ferguson and Wenger rarely sign duds QUOTE]

Id strongly question Ferguson's purchasing record. Ive always viewed it as very hit and miss. He has been fortunate that (until now?) the club was in such a strong financial position that for every amount lost on a Veron, Kleberson, Bellion etc he is able to keep buying replacements til he gets it right, whilst relying on the core of the team that came through in the mid/late 90's.

Rafa's signings though have been pretty negligent and despite the money they have spent to become a 2 man team is a woeful indictment of the players he has bought.

Id strongly question someone who has brought Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo, Roy Keane, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, shall i name many more? to the club. In my eyes, they arent bad signings.

Id strongly question someone who has brought Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo, Roy Keane, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, shall i name many more? to the club. In my eyes, they arent bad signings.

I wouldn't say they were bad signings either, but they weren't exactly cheap. Keane and I think Rooney were both British transfer records, Ronaldo was the most expensive teenager ever etc

Ferguson has broken the British transfer record more times than any other manager.

Most were successes, but the likes of Veron flopped and even someone like Cole never lived up to the price tag. His record in the transfer record is far from spotless.

Taibu, Prunier, Veron, Forlan, Cole, Poborksky, Cruyff, Blomqvist, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba etc etc

I wouldn't say they were bad signings either, but they weren't exactly cheap. Keane and I think Rooney were both British transfer records, Ronaldo was the most expensive teenager ever etc

Ferguson has broken the British transfer record more times than any other manager.

Most were successes, but the likes of Veron flopped and even someone like Cole never lived up to the price tag. His record in the transfer record is far from spotless.

Taibu, Prunier, Veron, Forlan, Cole, Poborksky, Cruyff, Blomqvist, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba etc etc

Part and parcel of my point was that if they did flop, very rarely did United lose a fortune on them. Veron was sold to Chelsea at a loss of a few million, Forlan too. I wouldn't exactly say Cole was a flop... Him and Yorke were pretty much invincible in '99.

Part and parcel of my point was that if they did flop, very rarely did United lose a fortune on them. Veron was sold to Chelsea at a loss of a few million, Forlan too. I wouldn't exactly say Cole was a flop... Him and Yorke were pretty much invincible in '99.

Veron promised so much but brought very little. Only other players that stand out like you said, Kleberson, Eric Djemba-Djemba, Nani (IMO) to name a few but these players always seem to get sold easily.

I thought they dropped about 14 million on Veron, bought for 28 million sold for 14. Also Djemba-Djemba, so crap they named named him twice was a loss of over 6 million.

The thing is if Man U signed me for £10m, they'd be able to off-load me for several million pounds purely on the fact that they'd signed me for £10m.

I was somewhat take aback to see Ronnie Whelan pontificating on the future of Benitez, and how poor a lot of his signings have been. Some Southend supporters may remember Mr Whelan, I'd say let he who be without sin cast the first stone.

I was somewhat take aback to see Ronnie Whelan pontificating on the future of Benitez, and how poor a lot of his signings have been. Some Southend supporters may remember Mr Whelan, I'd say let he who be without sin cast the first stone.

I wouldn't quibble over Whelan's credentials to talk about bad signings. Indeed, I can think of few managers better qualified.

Back