• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save The Red Arrows

Davros

The Whippet
Gorden Brown is trying to s**** the Red Arrows as part of his drive to take away all the things that make this country great... ok, thats not the reason.. his arguement is that it is to save money, but with forces recruiment struggling, and world relations fragile, this fantastic advertising and diplomatic force is a neccesist!!.....

To stop him (like the public did when he tried this 2 years ago) sign here ----> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SaveTheReds/

So far, I'm yet to be convinced that formation flying can win a war. They're about as much use as the Salvation Army in a ruck. We should s**** them and all.

I think army recruitment would surge if we didn't keep sending the poor sods out with ****poor kit and waiting for them to get shot looking for imaginary weapons of mass destruction.

So far, I'm yet to be convinced that formation flying can win a war. They're about as much use as the Salvation Army in a ruck. We should s**** them and all.

I think army recruitment would surge if we didn't keep sending the poor sods out with ****poor kit and waiting for them to get shot looking for imaginary weapons of mass destruction.

Not forgetting the ****poor wages which I believe they are paid.

The Red Arrows always remind me of holidays spent in Cornwall in the late 70's and early 80's and tv programmes like Treasure Hunt. Well for that reason alone i think that is possibly where they should be confined to.

Technology has moved on so far since then and i would rather see more up to date aircraft in shows.

Apologies for my flippancy. I like the Red Arrows as much as the next man, provided the next man isn't Gordon Brown.

I just can't miss any opportunity to do my Billy Bragg bit about the war.

Actually i wonder what the maitenance charges are those particular aircraft are?

More out of interest than anything and also how old are they and could they use newer aircraft?

:(

The brother of a good friend of mine is "Red 10" - the Arrows' manager. Not good news at all...

:(

Not for him it isn't.

I would imagine his chances of finding another job managing an aerobatic display team are pretty slim.

The red arrows haven't just lost a job, they have also lost a fantastic chat up line.

Last edited:
The Red Arrows always remind me of holidays spent in Cornwall in the late 70's and early 80's and tv programmes like Treasure Hunt. Well for that reason alone i think that is possibly where they should be confined to.

Technology has moved on so far since then and i would rather see more up to date aircraft in shows.

Technology may have moved on, but the skill that these pilots possess (recognised as the best in the world at what they do) is something that computers arent for.

Ok, so they may be old, and hwat have you.. but why should we have to give up another great British Tradition, and aeronautical monument of our history. With Concorde and The Vulcan gone we should strive to keep such things going as a mark of British greatness.

The cost it really shouldnt be about sometimes.

From what i have leaenrt the Red Arrows make a loss of apporx 10k for a 'home' display, charging about £5,000 when the displays easily costs them £15-20 k.

However, when they go and do private events for people such as the sultan of Bruni like a few years back, they charge in excess of £100k for a display.

Incidently they were in Cyprus and the middle East helping British relations hence they missed the Southend Airshow last year.

What are your views on formation dancing in winning wars?

Not for him it isn't.

I would imagine his chances of finding another job managing an aerobatic display team are pretty slim.

The red arrows haven't just lost a job, they have also lost a fantastic chat up line.

A pilot that well qualified will never have a problem finding another job. He may not like it as much, and may consider it rather mundane, but it will pay pretty well.

Don't also forget these people are only Red Arrows for three years, and then move on anyway. I assume back to the RAF but they could just as easily end up at British Airways.

I can just see those red arrows bods taking jobs at BA. Do you recon they'd be able to resist giving a plane full of passengers a tilt and a turn when up at cruising altitude?

Do you recon they'd be able to resist giving a plane full of passengers a tilt and a turn when up at cruising altitude?
Isnt that standard on Aeroflot?

his arguement is that it is to save money,

Taking away something the British public actually like, seems to be pretty much the norm for this government. I read the other day that "we" spend 4.5 million per year on translators at job centres and social security offices for the people who come here who cant speak English. I think getting rid of them would be a better way to save money.

I think we should privatise the Red Arrows. If they can earn £100k for a single display, lets flog them off to someone who can make some money out of them.

I take your point about being important for army/airforce recruitment, so suggest we change our foreign policy to one which doesn't involve invading countries. That then reduces the need to waste money on army recruitment and will spare have the added bonus of saving us from those stupid recruitment adverts.

Taking away something the British public actually like, seems to be pretty much the norm for this government. I read the other day that "we" spend 4.5 million per year on translators at job centres and social security offices for the people who come here who cant speak English. I think getting rid of them would be a better way to save money.

How about people who can't write in English?

A pilot that well qualified will never have a problem finding another job. He may not like it as much, and may consider it rather mundane, but it will pay pretty well.
Indeed, Andy is pretty well qualified in the flying stakes, having flown Tornados over Iraq (and being Mentioned in Dispatches), as well as now being a qualified instructor.

He won't be short of a job - but it's just that he rather likes his current one!

Matt

Well, I'm hoping it's an effective weapon, otherwise we're ****ed when that Colchester mob catch up with us!

Ha Ha, no doubt up against the colchester bird brain brigade or whatever they're called it will be more than effective but I was more thinking in terms of military conflict.
Now you're probably thinking thinking what the hell has this to do with the red arrows so you will need to bear with me while I make the link (tenous I'll admit).
A couple of years ago I was invited to a Malaysian trade fair sponsored by their government, after the fair the High commision hosted a meal followed by one or two cultural events, of which one involved a dance by around half a dozen rather broad Malaysian marines, once finished those at our table entered into a discussion with one another as to which Nations war dance was the best, having little knowledge as to whether we as the British even had a dance I elected to stay out of it and wandered off for a smoke.
Imagine my joy upon my return I found out we had won with the red arrows being proclaimed 'Dancers of Sky'.
So back on track, if indeed we are to consider that the red arrows truly are dancers whose acrobatics are infinately superior to most other nations then surely we need to keep them.

Back