• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Groyne Strain

Manager
Bearing in mind what happened yesterday, I have received the following via e-mail this morning. It seems a great idea. What do you think?

"East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual life savers award.

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also forward this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this It really could help or even save your life."

great idea
smile.gif

It got sent round our office on Friday, so it's obviously on the move round the country already, which is a good thing.

Two minor problems with it:

1. If it's a home telephone number that you ring (thus no Caller ID) how will the person who is making the call know who you are and be able to tell your ICE person?

2. Surely having 'Mum' or 'Dad' in your phonebook is a lot easier. I for one would look firstly for these names as opposed to an ICE number.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 10 2005,20:58)]Two minor problems with it:

1.  If it's a home telephone number that you ring (thus no Caller ID) how will the person who is making the call know who you are and be able to tell your ICE person?

2.  Surely having 'Mum' or 'Dad' in your phonebook is a lot easier.  I for one would look firstly for these names as opposed to an ICE number.
Not everyone still lives with their mum and dad!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 10 2005,20:58)]2.  Surely having 'Mum' or 'Dad' in your phonebook is a lot easier.  I for one would look firstly for these names as opposed to an ICE number.
My Mum & Dad live in the Middle East - a bit tricky to get hold of them at short notice!

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ July 11 2005,08:51)]
[b said:

1. If it's a home telephone number that you ring (thus no Caller ID) how will the person who is making the call know who you are and be able to tell your ICE person?

2. Surely having 'Mum' or 'Dad' in your phonebook is a lot easier. I for one would look firstly for these names as opposed to an ICE number.
rock.gif
Where did I say everybody did?
rock.gif

Just because you don't live with them doesn't mean that they won't be in your phonebook.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 11 2005,14:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ July 11 2005,08:51)]
[b said:

1.  If it's a home telephone number that you ring (thus no Caller ID) how will the person who is making the call know who you are and be able to tell your ICE person?

2.  Surely having 'Mum' or 'Dad' in your phonebook is a lot easier.  I for one would look firstly for these names as opposed to an ICE number.
rock.gif
Where did I say everybody did?
rock.gif

Just because you don't live with them doesn't mean that they won't be in your phonebook.
Think about it!

Just because your parents would be your contact, it doesn't mean it would be everyone's.

A substantial proportion of the adult population is married and/or have outlived their parents.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 11 2005,14:39)]Think about it!

Just because your parents would be your contact, it doesn't mean it would be everyone's.

A substantial proportion of the adult population is married and/or have outlived their parents.
Feir enough, I can understand your point. But if you found somebody unconscious what would be the first name that you looked for in their phone?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 11 2005,14:58)]Feir enough, I can understand your point.  But if you found somebody unconscious what would be the first name that you looked for in their phone?
ICE!

Or Home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 11 2005,14:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 11 2005,14:39)]Think about it!

Feir enough, I can understand your point.  But if you found somebody unconscious what would be the first name that you looked for in their phone?
I'm not sure I get your point.

If I found someone unconcious on the street, the first number I would ring would be 999. However the ambulance/police may then wish to trace that person's family and so it would be them who would look for that person's "ICE". One suspects that as it is East Anglian Ambulance Service who are promoting this campaign, they would inform their staff to check first for an "ICE" if searching for a contact number.

This seems a sensible idea with no down side, so I really can't see what your problem is with it.

I don't have a problem with it, I just don't think it's as necessary as the media are making out.

We've just had a note around work saying to beware of this as it may be a way of wiping your phone details via Bluetooth. ICE is the code for how the virus can access your phone. If I hear it's not true, I'll repost.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ July 11 2005,15:41)]We've just had a note around work saying to beware of this as it may be a way of wiping your phone details via Bluetooth. ICE is the code for how the virus can access your phone. If I hear it's not true, I'll repost.
According to this article from the BBC, it was launched by the East Anglian Ambulance Service.

If anyone's concerned - simply put 'I C E' into the phonebook instead.

Back