• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Sayers signs for Tottenham

Re the comments about what we’ll be paid for Sayers, there will definitely be a fee in the region of £150k involved. That’s why most clubs at NL / L2 have an academy, to earn some money. Fans like to think it’s all to do with providing players for the first team, which sometimes it does, but the main reason is to sell on youngsters with potential. £150k is petty cash to prem clubs. It’s worth them taking a punt on 20 or so players at that price on the basis they’ll sell one or two of them to Championship or smaller Prem clubs eventually for £5m or so, with the original parent club getting a sell-on. We probably move on half a dozen or so every year for similar fees that go under the radar.

Really pleased for him. Hearing spurs see him as left centre and it was around 150k plus some add ons.
If that figure is accurate, Southend will hopefully be able to bring in the centre-back they have been chasing for sometime.

Last edited:
I've watched him a few times in the first team, and each time he has played (friendlies and NL) he has improved with each game in my opinion. It's very difficult to judge a young teenager when he is playing in a defence stretched to buggery most games, and let's face it, he was in because of injuries to more established players but still got selected again. So what can you take from that? Well, the Spurs scouts obviously saw enough potential to brief the club to invite him for a trial. As a result of the trial he has now been offered a two year contract, so experienced judges of professional footballers saw enough to suggest his potential is worth having. As for going the same way as some of our other players, well, as some having already posted, the only way is up.
Stretched to buggery or stretched by buggery ?

If that figure is accurate, Southend will hopefully be able to bring in the centre-back they have been chasing for sometime.
These fees are rarely paid upfront. Will likely be spread over the length of his contract.

I am being realistic, we cannot stand in his way of his big move, his contract at Spurs that he due to sign, get more wages in 3 month than he do in 1 year at us.

Re the comments about what we’ll be paid for Sayers, there will definitely be a fee in the region of £150k involved. That’s why most clubs at NL / L2 have an academy, to earn some money. Fans like to think it’s all to do with providing players for the first team, which sometimes it does, but the main reason is to sell on youngsters with potential. £150k is petty cash to prem clubs. It’s worth them taking a punt on 20 or so players at that price on the basis they’ll sell one or two of them to Championship or smaller Prem clubs eventually for £5m or so, with the original parent club getting a sell-on. We probably move on half a dozen or so every year for similar fees that go under the radar.
I think it's great that we're developing good young players etc but other clubs decline selling early and get those players on the pitch more so that in a years time etc that player will be worth a lot more. Now I know we've had a lot of youngsters play in the last 3-4 years, but lets be honest, none of them have been even remotely good enough. It seems Sayers is a little different though, but you've got to be brave enough to decline the early offer. That being said, it all depends how long he's got on his contract and if there's barely anything left and no sign of him wanting to sign another one then I understand selling. Ideally, you'd do what we did with Dru, recognise his potential early and get him signed up on a long deal early, although a 5 year contract is a bit extreme.

Now I know we've had a lot of youngsters play in the last 3-4 years, but lets be honest, none of them have been even remotely good enough. It seems Sayers is a little different though

When you say none of them were good enough and that Sayers is a little different with his 3 games in the National league at 17…..Are you comparing say a Charlie Kelman as not being good enough who at 17 had 6/7 goals and 20 odd appearances in league 1, under his belt? Or Bishop who at 19 had 30 games in league 1? Or Hutchinson who at 19 had 40 in league 1? Maybe Elvis who had 80 odd?

Sayers has attracted interest due to being exposed at an early age to first team football just like all the above did. Good luck to him. Spurs have seen a degree of potential and they’ve also seen a physical framework on a left footed defender that has lit up their scouting system.

He’ll go into their 18s and find it hard. Cat 1 18s is technically brilliant….they’ll work on him and improve him technically and he’ll then break into their 23s….that league (PL2) is an incredibly high level and it’ll improve him as a player no end. What happens after that is down to Charlie and a little bit of luck. I wish him all the very best and urge him to enjoy the experience being with a top club and top Academy gives you.

Last edited:
When you say none of them were good enough and that Sayers is a little different with his 3 games in the National league at 17…..Are you comparing say a Charlie Kelman as not being good enough who at 17 had 6/7 goals and 20 odd appearances in league 1, under his belt? Or Bishop who at 19 had 30 games in league 1? Or Hutchinson who at 19 had 40 in league 1? Maybe Elvis who had 80 odd?

Sayers has attracted interest due to being exposed at an early age to first team football just like all the above did. Good luck to him. Spurs have seen a degree of potential and they’ve also seen a physical framework on a left footed defender that has lit up their scouting system.

He’ll go into their 18s and find it hard. Cat 1 18s is technically brilliant….they’ll work on him and improve him technically and he’ll then break into their 23s….that league (PL2) is an incredibly high level and it’ll improve him as a player no end. What happens after that is down to Charlie and a little bit of luck. I wish him all the very best and urge him to enjoy the experience being with a top club and top Academy gives you.
Not forgetting Kenny Coker who was still at School on his debut and then moved to Norwich.

I suspect it's very hard to keep players when bigger prem and championship clubs are interested. If we can't persuade them of the merits of staying then Personally I don't think we should stand in their way and insist they see out a contract

A
Not forgetting Kenny Coker who was still at School on his debut and then moved to Norwich.

I suspect it's very hard to keep players when bigger prem and championship clubs are interested. If we can't persuade them of the merits of staying then Personally I don't think we should stand in their way and insist they see out a contract

Absolutely.

I was waiting to use Kenny as an example for another point really. One which demonstrates just how hard it is once you go to these Catagory 1 clubs from a lower league club such as Southend.

Kenny I believe is finding it hard to even break into their 23s. This isn’t a criticism of Kenny but just a demonstration of the levels and the quality that these clubs have within their academies.

Hoovering up the best talent from lower league clubs or Cat 3 academies is just the process unfortunately. Most fees are based on appearances and milestones later on of the player develops as they hoped. But it’s tough going. Much larger squads and the standards you have to hit every single day are astronomical and the set backs are regular.

Todd Miller is another example at Colchester. Made his debut at 16 and three years later is still trying to command a regular place in the 23s at Brighton.

The standard is high. Arsenals 23 (inc Olayinka!) lost 5-3 to Derby 23s last week and 5 days later 8 of the same side knocked Ipswich out the PJT….

It’s a gamble for players but not one you can turn down really and the improvements as a footballer still occur

Last edited:
A

Absolutely.

I was waiting to use Kenny as an example for another point really. One which demonstrates just how hard it is once you go to these Catagory 1 clubs from a lower league club such as Southend.

Kenny I believe is finding it hard to even break into their 23s. This isn’t a criticism of Kenny but just a demonstration of the levels and the quality that these clubs have within their academies.

Hoovering up the best talent from lower league clubs or Cat 3 academies is just the process unfortunately. Most fees are based on appearances and milestones later on of the player develops as they hoped. But it’s tough going. Much larger squads and the standards you have to hit every single day are astronomical and the set backs are regular.

Todd Miller is another example at Colchester. Made his debut at 16 and three years later is still trying to command a regular place in the 23s at Brighton.

The standard is high. Arsenals 23 (inc Olayinka!) lost 5-3 to Derby 23s last week and 5 days later 8 of the same side knocked Ipswich out the PJT….

It’s a gamble for players but not one you can turn down really and the improvements as a footballer still occur
In the case of Sayers it was mentioned on here by a reasonably reliable poster that he has trialed with a few clubs over recent weeks before coming up trumps with Spurs. Do you know is it that all these Championship/Premiership clubs have such extensive scouting networks that they quickly pick up on any flash of potential and approach the smaller club or is it an agent hawking his player around or indeed the smaller club that wants a bit of cash offering the player around ? Any ideas ? Or a bit of all of them ?

A

Absolutely.

I know. My eldest son was a ball boy.

I’d say it was much more to do with a scouting network. Young players who break into a first team are high on people’s radars quite quickly.

I’m not sure but I think Tottenham’s recruitment staff have some previous links to Southend…

Back