• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Sayers signs for Tottenham

£50k... that will keep the lights on for another week, just about!

In all seriousness, I'm sure there are plenty of clauses included - but £50k seems very low for a Premier League club to pay for young talent, when that club spent £50m across two players earlier this season... if ever we needed evidence of the gulf between the Prem and lower leagues, this is a good example!

In the case of Sayers it was mentioned on here by a reasonably reliable poster that he has trialed with a few clubs over recent weeks before coming up trumps with Spurs. Do you know is it that all these Championship/Premiership clubs have such extensive scouting networks that they quickly pick up on any flash of potential and approach the smaller club or is it an agent hawking his player around or indeed the smaller club that wants a bit of cash offering the player around ? Any ideas ? Or a bit of all of them ?
The top clubs will have every youngster on their database, probably even before they’ve flashed any potential.

I think it’s more complicated with someone like Charlie (or Kenny Coker who was also mentioned on this thread) who is on a scholarship rather than a pro deal. It’s a lot harder to keep them around as they’ll be able to walk (not quite for free but for a lot less, especially as he’s been here such a short time) at the end of that scholarship so I can fully understand the club’s desire to cash in if he didn’t want to sign a pro deal.

Good luck to him. We must have seen something in him to give him a contract here in the first place so I guess we were right to get him in as Spurs can see the potential in him too

Fantastic move for the lad, as I said before when I saw him play I didn’t realise he was only 17. I wish him all the best for the future and his success will benefit us.

Good luck to the lad .To be picked up by any prem club is a feather in his cap ..Just hope it works out for him .

As others have said that 50000 pounds doesnt seem very much hopefully their are some decent add ons so if he does well Southend benefit.We couldn't really in all fairness stand in his way so good luck I for one will keep an eye out on your progress

£50k ties in with exactly what was I told last week. Pay rise for Charlie as well as an incredible opportunity.

Good luck to him.

Spurs must have noted our desperation to put a 50k deposit down on sayer.
I know we are seriously skint but Spurs could have made it £500k, it’s not as if they couldn’t afford it.

Good luck to him. He'll either make it or have a year or so with top level coaching and facilities then filter down to a lower league club, and hopefullt we get a bit of cash, win win.

Back