• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scannell, Mildy and Francis.

DTS

The Business
All three have taken stick in the past from the boo boys but I think all have performed above and beyond the call of duty of late.

Scannell has been a revelation since he came back in. His pace is electric and is trickery has really been superb. I think he was responsible for 90% of the good stuff thats happended of late.

Francis personally has always been a favourite of mine and I think he is a class above anything else we have at the moment but his set peices and delivery have been the cause of more chances for us than anything.

Mildy I have never been sure on but in the same way Arsenal used to say Dave Seaman was worth 20 points a season I think Mildy has time and time again kept us in games. I heard a sad rumour from a 100% reliable source (That broke the Lee Sawyer news and various team sheets) that he has brought a place in Yeovil of late and could well be off soon but either way full respect from me for all he done this season.

I think the above three are going to be key if we have any chance of staying up.

I agree with Francis and Scannell. Not with Mildenhall, he's a liability. Cost us both goals on Saturday and that's becoming a bit of a recurring theme with him at the moment.

All three have taken stick in the past from the boo boys but I think all have performed above and beyond the call of duty of late.

Scannell has been a revelation since he came back in. His pace is electric and is trickery has really been superb. I think he was responsible for 90% of the good stuff thats happended of late.

Francis personally has always been a favourite of mine and I think he is a class above anything else we have at the moment but his set peices and delivery have been the cause of more chances for us than anything.

Mildy I have never been sure on but in the same way Arsenal used to say Dave Seaman was worth 20 points a season I think Mildy has time and time again kept us in games. I heard a sad rumour from a 100% reliable source (That broke the Lee Sawyer news and various team sheets) that he has brought a place in Yeovil of late and could well be off soon but either way full respect from me for all he done this season.

I think the above three are going to be key if we have any chance of staying up.

Completely agree. Got a lot more assists than anyone else in the team and really is a big asset to our team.

I agree with Francis and Scannell. Not with Mildenhall, he's a liability. Cost us both goals on Saturday and that's becoming a bit of a recurring theme with him at the moment.

I think Barrett totally failing to deal with the ball for the second one cost us the goal, how Mildenhall, or the 6,000 shrimpers watching thought Barrett would let it bounce over his head I dont know.

Its very easy to blame the keeper, but we defended poorly for both goals and they should have been dealt with.

However I also dont think Mildenhall has shone, but has done ok in the games Ive seen.

Scannell was very good on Saturday, easily our motm and Francis is playing very well, why he still gets barracked I have no idea.

I think Barrett totally failing to deal with the ball for the second one cost us the goal, how Mildenhall, or the 6,000 shrimpers watching thought Barrett would let it bounce over his head I dont know.

Its very easy to blame the keeper, but we defended poorly for both goals and they should have been dealt with.

However I also dont think Mildenhall has shone, but has done ok in the games Ive seen.

Scannell was very good on Saturday, easily our motm and Francis is playing very well, why he still gets barracked I have no idea.

Mildenhall called for it and didn't see their guy coming in from the back post.

Mildenhall called for it and didn't see their guy coming in from the back post.

Surely if he had called for it he would have been at least moving towards the ball.

From where I sat it looked like Barrett just totally misjudged it.

Surely if he had called for it he would have been at least moving towards the ball.

From where I sat it looked like Barrett just totally misjudged it.

You would think so, he was getting slated from the South Upper for calling for it, he was just far too casual.

Eh? Mildenhall had no chance with the first goal at all, it was a fantastic glancing header from Dobie into the far corner. The second may have been partly his fault but it was schoolboy defending all round.

He also made two vital saves: one at 2-0 and one in the 2nd half where he dived full stretch to tip one to safety.

Like Dave said, he's won us plenty of points this season and I fail to see why it's a "recurring theme" either.

Eh? Mildenhall had no chance with the first goal at all, it was a fantastic glancing header from Dobie into the far corner. The second may have been partly his fault but it was schoolboy defending all round.

He also made two vital saves: one at 2-0 and one in the 2nd half where he dived full stretch to tip one to safety.

Like Dave said, he's won us plenty of points this season and I fail to see why it's a "recurring theme" either.

The ball bounced across the six yard box, he was incredibly stiff and flat footed, probably thought it was going wide.

Mildy is a quality keeper, i cnat believe the stick he gets

I always said Scannel would come good (Bob Crachitt will back that up), its just a shame its taken the best part of three seasosn!

Mildenhall has had a good season and he did make a couple of very good saves on Saturday but in my opinion he was at fault for both goals. The header for the first goal was in slow motion , the second he should have come and collected it.

Loving the fact that Scannell is flourishing now. Always been an advocate of him.

Ditto. I couldn't believe the stick Scannell was getting at the start of the season, and that some people were incinuating that Betsy was a better option.....

Where are all the "Betsy lovers" now?

Ditto. I couldn't believe the stick Scannell was getting at the start of the season, and that some people were incinuating that Betsy was a better option.....

Where are all the "Betsy lovers" now?

I think what was winding people up, was the fact that Scannell had been here for 18 months but yet was still over weight, unfit and wasn't performing very well. It was evident that he had potential, but when someone that is a professional footballer was still saying in the press, "I am going to do two weeks of my own pre season" after being out injured for three weeks you have to question his mentality and professionalism. It is only since Christmas and having been at the club for two years that he was able to play 90 minutes.

Betsy at the time probably was a better option, but Scannell has flourished since Christmas and is now a very important part of our attacking play. Lets just hope he doesn't ever get injured again because it's going to take him 6 months to get fit again.

Betsy was utter cack. Scannel is by far the better option and despite it taking him the best part of three seasons as Davros said, he had to make a pretty big step up to this league compared to where he came from. However, I think he is almost there and is a different player from the one that first arrived at Roots Hall.

All three are players I'd love to see stay for a good while. Scannell seems to have come into his own, Francis seems to be getting more solid defensively and is one of our most potent attacking weapons at times and Mildenhall is as solid a keeper as we're going to find.

The ball bounced across the six yard box, he was incredibly stiff and flat footed, probably thought it was going wide.

As Kris has already said, it was just a very good glancing header and I fail to see how you can blame the keeper for that.

There is a bloke that sits behind me who hates Scannell with a passion. I am getting extremely close to telling him where to, he just hurls constant abuse at the lad.

He has been out player of 2010 by a mile.

My Scannell shirt doesn't look like such a silly purchase now.

All three are players I'd love to see stay for a good while. Scannell seems to have come into his own, Francis seems to be getting more solid defensively and is one of our most potent attacking weapons at times and Mildenhall is as solid a keeper as we're going to find.

Mildy is as far as I am concerned already gone, Scannell I think you will find is out of contract this summer and I am sure on current form would make a decent freebie signing for a league one club. Francis I think is contracted until next season but in reality may wish to move on baring in mind he had interest from a Championship (soon to be leagie one) club only a few weeks ago.

Playing for their future....

Scannell has played really well in the last few games and if he is out of contract at the end of the season will we be able to offer him a good enough contract to stay?

Mildy has been good overall this season but distribution is poor and he never seems to rush to clear the ball when near the end of the game so does wind up a few supporters.

Francis is getting better with his crosses and against Carlisle had quite a high success rate which is unsual!

The boys are playing for their future so other clubs will be looking at our players to see what scraps can be picked up either cheaply or for nothing at the end of the season especially with the financial mess we are in!

Players will be looking for security, just knowing there is a paycheck at the end of each month. I doubt they will find that at Southend this summer or next season without some drastic changes and major investment!

Lets be honest though, players are playing for thier futures, their career and their financial security....not necessarily for the club!

Back