• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scottish Cup Final; Ross County v Dundee Unitred

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
There's only one place to be this weekend. West Stand at Hampden Park. It's another Highland Clearance.

Dingwall, a town of just 5,200, and Ross & Cromarty barely making it past 20,000. It's going to be a relatively empty part of the UK come Saturday, though, with over 17,000 descending on Mount Florida to see if the Staggies can pull off what would be the greatest Cup win ever north of the border.

Believe me they've put out the likes of Hibernian and Celtic with no little skill. Michael Gardyne, a creative midfielder, can really play, with an exquiste touch and great vision. Andy Barrowman can mix it with the toughest of centre halves. And in goal Michael McGovern has consistently shown he can play at a much higher level.

County's manager, Derek Adams, has proved himself to be a charismatic and inspiring manager, back at the club where he made his name as a classy little midfielder. Getting the most out of next to nothing seems to be his speciality. It's even more praiseworthy to consider he's achieved this all by having his team play an eye-pleasing swift passing game.

Having followed the Staggies from well before I first went to a game back in '76, with family born (and buried!) in Dingwall, and now being a shareholder at Victoria Park through family inheritence, as well as having a relative still working at the club, Saturday will prove to be a special, special occasion.

Never in my wildest dreams, when County would struggle fitfully against the likes of Rothes, Clachnacuddin and Lossiemouth, did I ever think they would ever get anywhere near a Scottish Cup Final.

And yet ... well, words still fail me. I still don't believe that it was Ross County that completely dismantled Celtic, I just can't - not until those teams come out at Hampden Park this weekend. It promises to be an unforgettable day, not only for Ross County, but for Ross & Cromarty. And, should they do the impossible, perhaps for Scotland as a whole.

I can hardly wait.

Quite simply the best weekend I've ever had at the football. It would take me a million days at 60 words a minute to fully convey what being at Hampden yesterday was all about. Absolutely fabulous occasion that'll stay with me until my dying breath.

Quite simply the best weekend I've ever had at the football. It would take me a million days at 60 words a minute to fully convey what being at Hampden yesterday was all about. Absolutely fabulous occasion that'll stay with me until my dying breath.

I appreciate you are posting as a die-hard Staggie, and it was a wonderful and moving occasion to see County appear in the major fixture of the Scottish season, but I am somewhat suprised you rate it above the demolition of Celtic at the same venue. From the kick-off, County's nerves got the better of them, and the Arabs took full advantage, never allowing them to settle on the ball. The result was a very subdued and anxious County support, with Dundee consistently the louder fans. County dodged a bullet when a strong penalty appeal was turned down early on, but it always seemed that Dundee were going to score, and equally early in the second half they finally found the net, and I think almost every Staggie in the stadium knew it was the end.

My friend who has been a Staggie for 60 years was a long way from thinking it the best day of his footballing life - he was distraught, devasted that County chose the biggest match in their history to turn in the worst performance of the season.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

It's all about perspectives.

From mine, I know a day like that will never happen again. Ross County will not be gracing Hampden with their presence any time soon bar the odd league or cup encounter in front of a few hundred souls against Queens Park.

The very fact County was there made it all. My lad and I were determined to savour every last second of the day come hell or high water - which is exactly what we did. We saw old friends from years gone by, we mingled, we shared banter and drinks with the Arabs, we had tv cameras and interviewers following us (though being in the News Of The World isn't something to shout about!), we soaked everything in. It was special because my lad and I went out to make it special.

As for the support, it seems to be at odds when, on national tv this morning, came the comment "The County support was amazing. They cheered their own team, and stayed to applaud them at the end, and stayed to applaud Dundee United when they lifted the cup. That's what football should be about." Far from being subdued, Ross County received excellent backing, but were shouted down from equally enthusiastic and colourful Dundee United supporters who made up the bulk of the crowd.

The game itself was no surprise to me. Dundee United done their homework, and applied themselves to the match far better than Celtic did, who thought they just had to turn up. The 'strong claims' for a penalty, however, was perilously close to a booking for simulation. Running into a defender and falling over doesn't constitute a penalty and the referee rightly never gave it a second's thought.

For all of United's control, County looked comfortable when it came to defending the penalty area. A few excellently timed tackles and well organised defending in the middle, whilst the full backs were being given a bit of a going over from their wide men, restricted any genuine chances.

It was always going to be either a mistake of a bit of magic to settle the game. It was ironic that it was whilst County were just beginning to look menacing that it came - and it was undeniably a bit of both. You can point the finger at McGovern's header but the finish was exquisite.

After that it was inevitable what would happen but still County were fighting, even if it was a losing battle. They still tried to play the ball out of defence rather than the hopeful hoof too - something that frustrated some around us! It was far from their worst performance, as matches at Raith and Queen Of The South will testify. They were simply beaten by a much better side who were equally motivated to win.

Whatever the result, my lad and I were determined to make it a day to remember. The dream was making it to the final in the first place. How could we do anything other make it as great a day as possible. It would have been amazing had County won but we didn't. To be there, to be part of something special - that we most certainly did.

We'll remembrer the game against Celtic for the rest of our days but the Cup Final was so, so much more than the game itself and that is why it was the best weekend at the match we've ever had.

Fair does, and I'm really glad you made such a day of it. We did see the match from different perspectives but that is what football is all about. Both sets of fans were an absolute credit to Scottish football, and as one gracious Staggie said in my hearing as we left the ground:

"Ah Weel, it was only right to let them win it, they have to live in Dundee after all!"

The moment the teams came out of the tunnel will certainly stay in my memory but that is far as it goes for me. I didn't expect County to win the cup but i did expect to put in a performance. Defensively wise we did ok, Boyd and Keddie were superb but too many last last ditch tackles. gave the ball away far too easily and all credit to Dundee Utd for putting the pressure on. And it was unfortunate County conceded just as they did start to play a bit of football. By the second goal I think in a weird way I was relieved because I had not enjoyed the game (my nerves got the better of me) and when the second goal went in at least I knew the ultimate dream was over.

I didn't expect to feel devasted after the game.. i went like you to enjoy the game but the way we performed was not the County way and although credit to Dundee United I feel they could have played better. And after the Celtic game which was literally the best sporting moment in my life so far.. the cup final turned into an anti climax! It seems to be always the way... when twenty thousand southend fans turned up on two occasions at cardiff and were disappointed but yet when 7 thousand turned up for the playoff the success came. Just a massive shame it happened again for the Staggies.

Back