• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scottish history is riddled with “myth and falsehood”

So Haggis was an English creation and it now seems that the humble Kilt was an English invention as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1982040/Kilts-invented-by-English-in-Lord-Dacres-book.html

The victors write the history , a qutoe about the man who wrote this
Trevor-Roper argued that history should be understood as an art, not a science, and asserted that key attribute of the successful historian was the power of imagination.[3]

He shouldnt really be complaining now should he ;) (plus anything that helps diminsh a national idenity when theres a possibility they could run off with independence and north sea oil is never a bad thing

Still an intresting chap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Trevor-Roper

To be honest, I did a Scottish ethnology course at Edinburgh, and everyone knew then that the majority of "Scottish" inventions were probably invented elsewhere. But the Yank tourists loved them so much they kept the branding.

To be honest, I did a Scottish ethnology course at Edinburgh, and everyone knew then that the majority of "Scottish" inventions were probably invented elsewhere. But the Yank tourists loved them so much they kept the branding.

...scotch egg, scotch tape, scotch whisky, scotland yard, scot free

(courtesy of Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow!)

Vaguely remember on the brilliant QI that one of the big battles that the Scots hark on about beating the English (Bannockburn?) was actually Scots vs Scots (Highlanders v Lowlanders).

So stick that in your haggis and smoke it Muriel!

Vaguely remember on the brilliant QI that one of the big battles that the Scots hark on about beating the English (Bannockburn?) was actually Scots vs Scots (Highlanders v Lowlanders).

Well, yes and no. A lot of Scottish battles were Highlanders v Lowlanders. But the Lowlanders were more linked with the English, and a lot in common with them. If the English fought the Scottish, invariably, the Lowlanders sided with the English.

And Bannockburn had a lot of English fighting, including our king.

Paul, Haggis is another one of ours that they stole mate.

Last edited:
They should change the border sign so when you cross from England it now says...."welcome to Plagiarismvill"!!!!

i thought that was culluden, when the scots got a sound beating by "the english" which had more Scots in their ranks than Charlies lot , who had French and Irish support

i thought that was culluden, when the scots got a sound beating by "the english" which had more Scots in their ranks than Charlies lot , who had French and Irish support

I went there last month and had a wonder round, it was not until my 10th scowl I received from the natives that I realised I was wandering around Culloden wearing my England shirt....oooops.

:unsure:

Last edited:

Charlies lot had some French support, but yes, the English had some Scottish support as well. So, if this is the battle MK meant, QI is still wrong. More English than Scottish fought.

220px-Bonnie_Prince_Charlie_%281729%29.jpg
Well, considering he was born in Italy, and had numerous affairs with the leading ladies of the time, and was a decent warrior, I'd say erm, no.

Ah i got teh country wrong .. err naps the fops were most of the rage then (i.e effeminate ) and the Italians have never been known for their stature )

His not what you would call a mans man or a hulking brute ;)

Last edited:
Back