• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scottish Referendum

steveo

mine to stay the same please
So the Jocks will be holding a referendum, at a time of their choosing, to see if they want to stay in the United Kingdom.
Surely it would be fair for England to hold its own referendum and decide if we want them to stay. Bring it on, lets get rid of the sweatys, and at the same time ruin any chance Labour have of ever getting back into power.

If they vote not to be part of the United Kingdom, can we please reinstate prescription charges and full university fees and any other concessions they've been given which we don't get?

well my wife who's Scottish is pretty ****ed off she won't have a vote. Meanwhile a good friend of mine who is very much a Southender and English will as he lives in Edinburgh. Always hated the Nats since I was a young student in the 70s. Sammond is a great orator and you should never ever give these people power, you just find they are great orators. Went to Uni with Alex Neil. He was a great orator too.

If they vote not to be part of the United Kingdom, can we please reinstate prescription charges and full university fees and any other concessions they've been given which we don't get?

As do the welsh too...and they have the cheek to charge £5.70 each time you want to visit

Will these still stand? Surely they will have to sort out their own economy and finance this sort of thing themselves.

If they leave they will be self governing, they will get nothing from England.

They will have to sort out their own economy, health services, armed forces and the like.

It will also mean no Scottish MPs in Westminster and an end to Scottish Prime Ministers.

Personally if the Scottish want independance they should have it. I cant think of anywhere else that has the "union" arrangement we have.

I was reading somewhere about a referendum in Canada. Quebec decided to hold a referendum to be independent of Canada - meanwhile the rest of Canada held a referendum to vote if they wanted Quebec to stay. Quebec voted to stay but the rest of Canada voted them out - fortuantely for Quebec they let them stay.

So the Jocks will be holding a referendum, at a time of their choosing, to see if they want to stay in the United Kingdom.
Surely it would be fair for England to hold its own referendum and decide if we want them to stay. Bring it on, lets get rid of the sweatys, and at the same time ruin any chance Labour have of ever getting back into power.

I gather the jocks want to hold the referendum in the same year as the 700th anniversary of the battle of Bannockburn so they can become even more nationalistic and anti-english than usual so therefore helping the independence vote along.

Quite happy for them to go although don't know what excuse they would have for that huge chip on their shoulder in future and would put paid to inane talk of Celtic and Rangers joining the premier as well as shutting up that great supporter of Scotland Sean Connery (who lives in the Bahamas).

Does anyone else remember the time a certain Jim Davidson was arrested outside Wembley for threatening England supporters?(another plastic jock as well as Rod Stewart).

Ah the broad brushstrokes of the stereotype.

I've got Scottish friends, a Scottish mother in law, none of whom hate the English - in fact one of them is married to a much missed Zoner.

some interesting numbers i saw in a poll today

51% of Scots would vote no to independance, whilst only 34% in favour, whereas the Poll of Englsih & Welsh was pretty even.

1.We should re-build all of Hadrians Wall, install border control where all people who live in Jockland have to have an exorbitant Visa to get in.
2. Ban the import to England of Haggis, Scottish Smoked Salmon, Aberdeen Angus Beef and Scotch Whisky.
3. Deny them all admissions to our Universities.
4. Charge em protection money for our Armed Forces.
5. Let em take The Royal Family and Wales with em.

More to come i'm sure!

My guess is the media, encouraged quietly by the Government will find something dirty about Salmond within the next two years and ruin him politically. IMO silence in Westminster could well be golden in this instance, any resistance on our part will only stir nationalistic pride North of the border.

Personally I don't want Scotland to leave the Union. They have bravely bleed for it on numerous occasions, are respected members and need not leave on the jingoistic ravings of a mad bigot.

Back