• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Our record at Glanford Park is not good. It reads DDDLLDLLDDL. Looking for positives, we have lost less than half the matches played there.

As we seek our first win there, the man in charge is David Coote from Winthorpe near Newark. He is a sixth year referee and he has been fast-tracked through the system. Over the years he has been getting appointments far better than his experience (and, probably, ability) warranted. He used to work for the Nottinghamshire FA as their Referees' Development Officer but he now works for the Manchester FA in a similar capacity. His rapid elevation and his choice of employers is, of course, entirely co-incidental.

He has refereed six Southend matches previously. Firstly when I don't think any blame was attributed to him for our late, late defeat at Chesterfield and then in our draw at Torquay - both 2010/11. Just a yellow for Gilbert at Torquay to show from those two matches. Later the same season he looked a little out of his depth to me when he officiated the home match against a somewhat fractious Stevenage side resulting in five yellows and a red to them and yellows for Grant and Barker.

Then he did the season 2011/12 disappointing 1-1 home draw with Dagenham cautioning Grant and Ferdinand and one of theirs.

Next came the match when he presided over our 3-3 draw at Oxford in the Paint Pot in 2012/13 when Bentley came off the bench to see us safely through the penalty shoot-out. Just one yellow for Woodyard.

Finally he did the season before last's home match against .... Scunthorpe. A Friday night defeat with cautions for Coker and Thompson.

This season his card count is a high-ish 73 yellows and 4 reds from 18 matches( 8 of them Championship matches).

The Assistants will be Glen Hart from Darlington, son of Robbie Hart, ex Premiership referee and Ken Haycock from Keighley, with Christopher Ward from Blyth carrying out the 4th official duties.

Doesn't help he is from Nottinghamshire and refereed at Scunthorpe, which is just down the road (just over an hour away). I thought refs couldn't take charge of games within a certain radius of their hometown? I could be wrong though.

Doesn't help he is from Nottinghamshire and refereed at Scunthorpe, which is just down the road (just over an hour away). I thought refs couldn't take charge of games within a certain radius of their hometown? I could be wrong though.

Why though would the proximity of where the referee lives to the games affect his performance? Clearly "reffing" a game in your home town is a conflict of interest but beyond that a local team is just as likely to be a rival. Would you for example expect a north Essex ref to favour Southend or a Westcliff based referee to favour Colchester.

Back