• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Scunthorpe have had very much the better of League matches between the two clubs since we first played them just over 50 years ago, with 21 wins to our 14. We have done particularly badly in away games with our last victory over 30 years ago. My best memory of matches at Scunthorpe is, of course, seeing us clinch our first ever promotion there in 1971/72 (How times have changed with not many more than 100 Blues fans there for such an occasion). Scunthorpe were also promoted that year but whereas we "consolidated", they finished rock bottom and came straight back down.

As you may have gathered with my nostalgic ramblings, I have little to say about the referee for tomorrow's tricky looking away fixture. It will be John Edmund C. Brooks from Asfordby, near Melton Mowbray who will be refereeing the highest level match of his short career in the middle (and no, I don't know what the C stands for; nor do I want suggestions). In this his debut season he has thus far done six matches (5 League Two and a Checkatrade) producing a high 29 yellows and a red.

Although a newcomer to League refereeing his face will be very familiar, possibly on two counts.

Firstly he has been a Premiership Assistant Referee for a number of years, usually lining to Mike Dean and did the FA Cup Final line in 2014 and got his FIFA Assistant Referees badge a year later. Secondly, he did the recent pre-season friendly at Roots Hall against Colchester. He also refereed the Grimsby v Braintree play-off match at the end of last season. He did fine in that friendly, although friendlies are no yardstick by which to judge referees. He also did fine in the Braintree match and certainly wasn't a homer - so maybe better than last week's.

Assisting will be Paul Marsden of Preston, whose last Southend match was at Barnsley earlier this year, and Michael Denton from Todmorden in West Yorkshire. These two linesmen were paired together for our away play-off match at Stevenage the season before last. Fourth Official will be Paul Graham from Manchester.

Elsewhere in the refereeing world Trevor Kettle makes his first appearance of the season, in fact his first game since that match when Phil Brown couldn't keep his mouth shut (sorry, that probably doesn't narrow it down much; the match at Bury last season). Stevenage and Crawley are the lucky teams.

Back