• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Following Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Southend United, Funso Ojo has said the Iron must be more “relentless”.
Ojo discussed the game, the desire to bounce back and the travelling supporters in an interview with iFollow Iron.
ON THE WAY THE GAME PLAYED OUT…
FO: I think we were the better team for most of the game. I think that we dominated at the front, middle and the back. However, in the end, they just wanted it a little bit more than us and that broke us down in the end.
ON WHETHER THE LATE GOAL LED TO A FAIR RESULT…
FO: This loss feels bad but it would have been the same feeling if we went home with a draw. Saying that, a draw is still a point and we need to get every point that we can. At the end, we have to be more relentless everywhere on the pitch, not only at the back but also in the middle and front. If it’s 2-2 and you have to kick the ball out of the stadium then just kick it out, it doesn’t matter. It gets a point and, as I said, we need the points in the league.
ON THE SUPPORT OF THE TRAVELLING IRON FANS…
FO: It was brilliant again and they made a lot of noise that pushed us forward. Not many live around the corner from here, so respect goes out to them for that. As they can see, we always go to them after the game, even if they are disappointed - that’s how we show our gratitude. Normally we show our gratitude with three points. We do that for them, for us and for the club.
ON HOW MUCH OF A PART THE CONDITIONS PLAYED IN THE GAME…
FO: I don’t know if everyone is going to see it on the videos but the pitch was one of the worst pitches that we’ve played on. It wouldn’t have mattered whether we played with studs or moulds because we just kept on slipping and it was hard to play how we usually want to play. Saying that, it’s not an excuse. We know, if that’s not possible, then we have to start grinding and playing from the second balls, stretching their team and putting the ball in and amongst the back four. I think that in certain phases we did that and we dominated them. However, sometimes, when we got that second ball we tried to play how we usually do and that’s where we lost the ball. You can’t dribble on this pitch. The ball just keeps on bouncing. You just need to control it, pass it and keep it simple.

Scunthorpe United manager Graham Alexander.

“If you looked at the state of the pitch – it was a cowfield – and the wind and rain was all over the place so it was not going to be a pretty game.
“You needed to win your second balls, dominate your opponent physically, move the ball quickly and I thought he did that.
“But not all of us did that. Out quality should have outshone theirs but we had to match them in the fight.
“I think our players did that on occasions but we gave poor goals from nothing.
“It was not from a sustained amount of pressure and that is what has happened in the last three games – we have given poor goals away.
“It is not through the opposition’s quality but from us making basic mistakes and not seeing the job through.”
ON CAMERON BURGESS’ RED CARD…
GA:
There were other challenges in the second-half on us that were very late and much worse than that. They were not dealt with a yellow card. I spoke to the fourth official and he completely agreed with it. I said I wanted consistency and the next time we have a challenge similar, I wanted that freedom, but we didn’t get it and got the red card.

FO: I think we were the better team for most of the game.

Tosser..that is all.............not you Jaffa1

I don't see Alexander moaning about Fortune being dragged down by the neck in the box or the numerous thuggish shoves his players committed on our players. The guy is a chump and a sore loser

I thought they were a very poor side, on that showing their league position flatters them. Had it not been for their keeper we'd have had another couple.

ENqWLd1.gif

I thought they were a very poor side, on that showing their league position flatters them. Had it not been for their keeper we'd have had another couple.

I was disappointed with them, I expected a better footballing team - although the pitch etc...

I was disappointed with them, I expected a better footballing team - although the pitch etc...

The pitch is ****, but its **** for both teams... we won as we had the better heart to do so.

The beauty about the comments in the original post is that nothing that was said by Ojo or Alexander changes the result. For those that are not aware the score was Southend United 3 Scunthorpe United 2 - That's a fact not an opinion, so, Messrs Ojo and Alexander, swivel on it.

I would also like to add I sat next to their away support, I don't remember once thinking wow they're loud ... :hilarious:

Correct about the pitch but wrong about most other points.

Their number 20 was a disgrace at corners and belongs in the WWE. He had Turner in a bear hug virtually every time and also was pulling Turner's shirt so much that I was surprised Turner didn't take it off and give it to him after the final whistle!

I would also like to add I sat next to their away support, I don't remember once thinking wow they're loud ... :hilarious:

At least you get to go on the pitch at half time with a garden fork

They went in front due to a howler of a clearance. Other than that we were the only ones looked like scoring.

They dominated at the front and back did they?

How comes we had twice the amount of shots, and 5 times as many on target? They had two on target, one of which we gifted them.

stats.JPG

He was right about the pitch though, its awful but we had to play on it as well.

What do people expect the opposition players to say.
This wasn't an interview by Chris Phillips for the Evening Echo. Although strangely some of the interviews might have been with a Southend fan!!!

In fairness to Scunny they are a good footballing side and as they found out our pitch is worse than it even looks because players standing foot slips which is worse than a bobble.

I was watching Duane Holmes closely in the second half as he was right in front of the East. He was my MOM at their place but struggled to get going because his game is all bout the first 2 steps.

They might think the second yellow was harsh but the first one was cutely cynical. Unlike anyone from Shrewsbury, Bolger or even Turner on Saturday, one of their CB's decides to take a risky touch and Cox was alive to the predictable miss control. As cox raced past Burgess he stepped across him. Yes Cox wouldn't have been clean through but neither was Paddy Madden when he latched onto Anton's bad pass the other week.

Why were at it people who give Oxley a 5 because of his kicks might like to know that opposition keepers have complained about slipping whilst taking a goal kick let alone dealing with a back pass. Shame some of our modern day pass completion percentage obsessed players, coaches and fans never played down Leigh Marshes on a wet and windy Sunday morning.... Hoof it into the café car park if you have to but don't give a hospital ball to your keeper. Otherwise the Sunday lunch time round in the pub can get very expensive because you got the blame if ended up in the net, not the keeper.

Back