• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Scunthorpe United 4-1 Southend United

Powell to stay or go; plus who to replace him?

• Powell In

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Powell Out

Votes: 67 49.3%
  • <<<<>>>>

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Darren Moore

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • That guy from Lincoln

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Phil Brown

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Someone else (please name)

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • Peppa Pig

Votes: 14 10.3%

• Total voters
Scunny could quite easily have had another 2 goals in the first half - we had one shot on target the whole game. Cox apart, our movement off the ball is dreadful and our ball control is not that much better.

Their second goal - complete mis kick from Dieng for the corner.
Their third goal how many times did they pass the ball unchallenged
Their fourth goal - who makes 2 substitutions when the opposition have a dangerous free kick.

One up front , two up front, even three up front it doesn’t matter if you cant get the ball up to them.

Turner has to go Dieng has to go and I’m even persuaded about Mantom - trouble is their replacements aren’t much better.

Thankfully Bradford, Shrewsbury, Walsall and Gillingham lost and Rochdale and Oxford drew with each other.

First 20 mins we were very impresive. Full of energy with some excellent one touch football, taking the game to Scunny. They get a fortunate equaliser and it's a different game.

Seccond half and there were too many passengers. Yes, young Nathan could have done better, but Turner was running in treacle and didn't get off the ground in the build up to the third, before leaving his man to head home unmarked for the 4th.

Dieng ambled around the whole match and looked like he was waiting to be taken off.
Hyam was a passenger too and was a yard off the pace until subbed. At least Mantom showed some desire to get stuck in and show he cared.
The game was crying out for Dru to come on and give us some energy and drive from midfield. But CP in his wisdom decides to leave Dieng on the pitch and bring on Kightly and Macca who aren't good enough anymore to change a game.
Wabo looked bright during his 15 minute cameo but poor Coxy cut a frustrated figure in the second half as Bunn went missing.

Time for a change for me now. I loved CP as a player but Ron has to act before its too late.

Not sure what i’ve just watched there. A defensive formation that clearly no one understood and our management team went to changing. Central midfield that was non-existent - Mantom, Dieng and Hyam were powderpuff (again) and how Yearwood can’t get a game is beyond me. And up front Simon Cox putting a shift in and wondering why none of his team mates can play.

Powell doesn’t need sacking - he needs to learn from his mistakes and sort this out - do his job. He’s missing a centre forward but apart from that he can’t blame injuries any more.

Well that's the most difficult game out the way, at a place we never win at anyway. We don't have a bad run in, yes I know games aren't easy at this stage but we aren't playing anyone top 6 until Sunderland. Its still very much in our hands.

Lets hope some of you can aim your anger at Wimbledon on Saturday. Time for us fans to give that 110% performance we demand on the pitch.

Good Bye Powell , welcome Maher as caretaker manager until end of season,see if he can do what Solskaer has done for Man Utd.

That said i would like a former player that was an attacker as our next manager ,last few have all been defenders ,about time the philosophy was changed and we had an ex striker as manager.

I don't even think Scunny were that good! That just amplifies how atrocious we are. Most honest Scunny fans would self-reflect and think, 'how did we get 4 goals, the pattern of our play didn't justify it.' They really were 4 gifted goals!

The first 20 mins Scunny were kicking it out of play, looking awful at the back and toothless up top. All of a sudden, they've got 4 goals without doing much for them. However, we need to work so hard to score. The perfect goal always seems to be the agenda. It's unbelievable.

As soon as that first goal went in, the heads dropped. Straight after, Moore executed the first long ball to the front men (something we hadn't been doing) and that set the tone for what was to follow. Every player reacted nervously once it went in, as if they all collectively had a lack of belief that a win was possible. They seemed to wait to concede again. No one took it by the scruff of the neck, no leaders visable.

Can someone tell me what Dieng does? He doesn't use his physique, he can't protect his back 4 and he hardly gets forward. Every time we concede, he goes missing. How he is playing over Dru is beyond me!

I felt sorry for Demi and Hart. I thought both played ok. As for Cox, I'm thinking of doing a charity gig for him to get him to a team that he deserves!

I'm really not looking forward to Saturday.

Last edited:
Well that's the most difficult game out the way, at a place we never win at anyway. We don't have a bad run in, yes I know games aren't easy at this stage but we aren't playing anyone top 6 until Sunderland. Its still very much in our hands.

Lets hope some of you can aim your anger at Wimbledon on Saturday. Time for us fans to give that 110% performance we demand on the pitch.

I’m going. Please god we win irrespective of who is playing or managing

Scunny fans were on the players backs when losing tonight and how did they react? It's not about the fans

I think Ron will act now (and before Saturday)- going down must be a far more costly option than putting CP on gardening leave. He always seems very happy to make time to have a word with Adam when he's at Roots. Adam will come in with Kig Kev as No. 2.
Ron likes to go for managers with a track record. Do you really think he’s going to spend the money to get rid of Powell and then replace him with 2 people who have 0 managerial experience? It would be a massive gamble and I’m not sure it’s the sort of risk he’d take. Unless it’s financially viable to bring in an experienced replacement I have a feeling he will stick with Powell.

We know from past experience that when Ron decides enough is enough, he tends to source a replacement before he pulls the trigger. I’d suggest that he’s already sounding out any potential replacement and then should the unthinkable happen and we lose on Saturday, that any appointment would happen quickly. I’d be staggered if Maher and Duncan were given the responsibility of keeping us up.

My condolences for all those poor fans who have spent their Tuesday evening travelling over a 400 mile round trip. Some spending money on hotels to watch that absolute shower of ****. The players should be embarrassed and Powell needs to go.

Yeah yeah, what a difficult game, I mean they had won as many as FIVE home games all season.
And no, I only demand 100% from the players, as all players should give every game. At the moment us fans are being cheated.

Just got in from the game luckily I live near Boston.
We started very well and looked confident in possession took an early lead from a good move.
Kept the ball well and everything seemed ok until the ball was crossed into Bishops far top corner a goal which changed the game.
After half time scunny exposed our lack of width as we struggled against the wind.
All our composure ebbed away as the mistakes and goals went in.
On this performance I find it hard to make a case for survival.

We know from past experience that when Ron decides enough is enough, he tends to source a replacement before he pulls the trigger. I’d suggest that he’s already sounding out any potential replacement and then should the unthinkable happen and we lose on Saturday, that any appointment would happen quickly. I’d be staggered if Maher and Duncan were given the responsibility of keeping us up.

I don't believe that's true though, as didn't Mayer and Duncan nearly take charge of a game after PB left, but it ended up being called off, then CP was brought in

Back