• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Scunthorpe United 4-1 Southend United

Powell to stay or go; plus who to replace him?

• Powell In

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Powell Out

Votes: 67 49.3%
  • <<<<>>>>

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Darren Moore

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • That guy from Lincoln

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Phil Brown

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Someone else (please name)

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • Peppa Pig

Votes: 14 10.3%

• Total voters
I don't believe that's true though, as didn't Mayer and Duncan nearly take charge of a game after PB left, but it ended up being called off, then CP was brought in

Yes, because the terms of his deal were being finalised. Powell was already indentified before Phil got the boot, as was he when we got rid of Sturrock, as was he when Tilson was sent packing. Maher and Duncan may get one game, but what I was saying was I’d be surprised if they were given the rest of the season.

I just can't see us finding the inspiration to get out of the mess, and it's pointless blaming Turner, Dieng, Mantom and Bunn - but I'm going to have a pop at them anyway: they deserve it.
Maybe others have seen it elsewhere, but this is the first time the side gave in at 2-1. There's no other way to describe it.
But that second Scunny goal had been coming.
The corner came after a lot of faffing around on the left, with panic buttons pressed before that.
Managers lose their jobs when the side throws in the towel.

Frustrating thing is, it's not like we have given ourselves a chance in games. In recent weeks

1-0 up at Charlton drew
1-0 up at Stanley drew
1-0 and 2-1 up at Blackpool drew
1-0 up tonight lost
Barnsley reduced to ten men at 0-0, lost

How different things could look if the side had the fight and spirit to dig in and get a result, I just don't think they have the belief to do this

Frustrating thing is, it's not like we have given ourselves a chance in games. In recent weeks

1-0 up at Charlton drew
1-0 up at Stanley drew
1-0 and 2-1 up at Blackpool drew
1-0 up tonight lost
Barnsley reduced to ten men at 0-0, lost

How different things could look if the side had the fight and spirit to dig in and get a result, I just don't think they have the belief to do this
And that is down to who precisely......?

Well, from my ifollow view, we look a proper shambles. The first twenty minutes seemed ok but who really thought we could see out ninety minutes with that intensity? Cox worked hard, scored and then spent the rest of the match begging for service and probably wondering what the hell is wrong with the rest of the team.

Bunn looked lively in the beginning but not at full speed, no doubt still getting up to match fitness, and for all his promise in the game, he had the penetration of a kitten giving it to Jordan.

Mantom looked poor but so too did Dieng and Hyam. Taylor Moore had the distribution of a blindfolded man in the shot put circle. Demi is not our saviour despite the fans clamouring for his return. Turner ****. I can go on.

Positives: I thought Wabo looked interested, fairly nippy and did a couple of useful bits.

Worst negative: Bringing Kightly on. Jeeez!! He was never going to be the answer and, after coming on, he managed to look our most inept player of the night.

I seriously worry that our biggest problem is the space between CP's ears. I really have no idea what he is thinking of, but clearly, continually, it ain't working.

The majority of this side has no stomach, no bottle and no chance of being any help in the fight to stave off relegation. UTB

We are ****e under Powell and are heading for relegation unless there is a big change. It's up to Ron now whether he wants to support our relegation or not. Maybe would be best if he just put the club up for sale and cut his large losses. He can't afford to find us. Give someone else a chance if he really cares.

I went, 71st ground watching the shrimpers!!

Thanks to the gent who gave me a free ticket to get in....that was the highlight....and maybe Coxy.

We gave up second half...as did CP...needs to go now!

We are going down and the only roll of the dice is to sack CP and bring in AB and see if we get that new manager surge...failing that League 2 here we come

Happy to never have to go to ****ing Scunthorpe ever again....think we are destined never to win at Glandford Park!

Was thinking this last night and it’s not something that’s really been mentioned anywhere...

Last season, how many games did Oxley save us or win us points? The bloke won POTS and put in some unbelievable performances, some of the best I’ve seen from a GK.

How much was that papering over the cracks as to how poor a manager Chris Powell is? If he was injured last season and Bishop came in, how do we think last season would have finished?

Bishop isn’t a bad young keeper but if you were to check the goals conceded per game... off the top of my head:
Scunthorpe 4
Doncaster 3
Pompey 3
Barnsley 3

Think we miss an experienced GK, not that bishop is completely to blame!

I have a feeling that Phil Brown could be called in short term, Indian league is over for this season!

I watched the game on iFollow. Happy with the first half, lost for meaningful, constructive words for the second half. Got up this morning, read most of the stuff on here, hoped I would feel better, I don't!

Pathetically, the only word that fits my mood is ****

I have a feeling that Phil Brown could be called in short term, Indian league is over for this season!

He had to threaten court action to be payed last time. I doubt we will pay him up front. He is more likely to say to any potential manger the same advice people said to him before he took the Southend job...You can probably guess what was said.

By the way the worst career move AB could do is take over at RH. I sure we could boo another legend out within a year.

Good news.... The Essex derby could be back next season, bad news..... it looks like it could be in league 2. Both of our teams are decent at times, but they are inconsistent and have suffered with injuries at crucial times of the season, and it shows.

Last edited:
I’m angry, frustrated and absolutely despair at the fact we’re in this position with the quality we have. I’ve defended Powell for a long time, but last night was a new low for me. Injuries, fair enough. But we had more than enough quality on that pitch last night to not lose 4-1 to such a poor Scunny team. If Powell makes it to Saturday, he’s surely one poor result away from curtains.

He looks like a defeated man. He just comes across like he’s had enough and like the sack would be a relief. I still have love for the man, but I’m just not convinced he’s the man to get us out of this. I think we need a Brown type manager to boot every single player straight up the arse and that just ain’t Powell.

Once Powell does leave though, whether that’s in the near or distant future, no more legends. The talk of Barrett, Tilson etc. just isn’t a good idea.

Also, for what it’s worth, I thought Wabo looked really good when he came on yesterday. Maybe time he gets a proper chance.

After such a bright, encouraging start it was very sad to see the bubble burst and the second half capitulation was unforgivable. The fourth goal was indicative of the slackness, lack of awareness and confusion that the defence has been demonstrating all season. Moore seems to have been dragged down by the ineptitude of those around him and Lennon's return as the anticipated saviour appears to have been just wishful thinking. As for Turner, the least said the better.
A midfield lacking leadership, creativity and muscle is a guarantee of poor service to the strikers and little protection for the defence.
Brown was axed after a poor run at a less critical stage of the season so why Powell survives is a mystery. With games running out and no ability to bring new players in the outlook is bleak. It is becoming hard to see where the next three points are coming from.

Also, for what it’s worth, I thought Wabo looked really good when he came on yesterday. Maybe time he gets a proper chance.
Really? And he did what exactly? The point in his favour is he wasn't on very long, and with the game lost.

Based on watching it on iFollow:

Bishop - 6 - A good first half but felt he looked heavy footed in the second half
Demitriou - 7 - Was up for it and clearly cares. An upgrade on Elvis
Turner - 5 - Ok on the ball but has to be a leader in the box, and take responsibility for how we defended in the wind
Moore - 5 - Going through a poor run
Lennon - 5 - Ok in the first half but perhaps too much too soon for him as he gets to match fitness
Hart - 7 - Continues to improve and impress
Mantom - 6 - Worked hard and clearly care
Hyam - 5 - Ok on the ball but didn't offer the defence the protection he did at Blackpool
Dieng - 3 - Cruised through the game doing naff all. Should be dropped for that
Cox - 8 - Great first half and worked hard, deserves more from his teammates
Bunn - 6 - Positive first half but faded a lot

Subs:
Wabo - 6 - Not (yet) the answer. Kelman offers more
McLaughlin - 5 - Some awful shots and little else. Shouldn't be near the team at the moment
Kightly - 4 - Clearly can't be arsed. Bin him off into the U21s

I felt sorry for Powell because the confidence did drain out of us after the Scunthorpe equaliser, and there is nothing really for him to work with from the bench to try and get us into it.

Think we need a big freshen-up on Saturday in a must win game and Powell's neck on the line.

Back