• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Another SUFCs game where last season we went down 0-1 at Glanford Park. The Iron have had a decent start to the season currently in 5th place with 10 points on the board.

Hopefully the hard work and spirit displayed at Bolton will again be evident at Scunthorpe, we shall see.

Assuming the likes of Coker and McLaughlin are still injured, I'm going for this Blues starting eleven:

Smith

White Sokolik Inniss Barrett Kypprianou

Demetriou Lenny Atkinson

Mooney Cox
COYB

Not sure Demetriou will start. With the midweek game and travelling involved, it's likely he'll be on the bench with White continuing in the wing back role. Expecting to see the same line up as above but with King in for Demetriou. Depending on whether he can play due to his hand, it'll likely be Bridge if he's not fit.

I went to both games away at Scunthorpe last season ..... and they were both poor. In fact I can't remember the last time we won there except the second half of the 2-2 draw was good (cracking goal from Egan).

They (Scunthorpe) seem to be getting the most from their resources whilst I'm not sure that is the case with us.

I can't make this game, and, like others I have been there a few times and never seen us get better than a draw.
What I have noted when talking to their fans is that they seem a morose and doom laden bunch. If we could get a lead I would expect their supporters to either sulk or turn on their team.
I expect PB to continue with the 5 across the back, Bridge in for King and Tims to be on the bench.
0-0.

I went to both games away at Scunthorpe last season ..... and they were both poor. In fact I can't remember the last time we won there except the second half of the 2-2 draw was good (cracking goal from Egan).

They (Scunthorpe) seem to be getting the most from their resources whilst I'm not sure that is the case with us.
Last time we won there was the 6-1 win in 1983 at The Old Show Ground. We have played Scunthorpe fair few times since then.
Just checked the records we have played at Scunthorpe 15 times since the 6-1 win and have drawn 6 & lost 9 of those games. I cant imagine we have a worse record at any of our other regular opponents grounds. Still its not about the last game/s lets hope we can finally get a win there, I mean come on its not the most intimidating place in the world!

Players who've played for both clubs:

Luke Daniels
Luke O'Neill
Kevan Hurst
Keith Lindsey
Lee Hodges
Nigel Pepper
Gary Hooper
Steve Mildenhall
Bobby Bennett
George Friend
Michael Timlin
Jamie Forrester
Jacob Murphy
Theo Robinson
Mike Angus

I think I remember seeing Ian Botham play for Scunthorpe at Roots Hall in a night game, so almost definitely a Friday match. He was a centre back.
ian-botham-scunthorpe-football_3262479.jpg

I'm not mad on cricket, but loved the story of when Botham started his career for Somerset and faced a fierce bouncer from Andy Roberts the West Indian bowler, that hit him straight in the mouth. He spat his teeth out and carried on batting.

Scunthorpe's best ever player would probably be Kevin Keegan.

Last edited:

Luke Daniels
Luke O'Neill
Kevan Hurst
Keith Lindsey
Lee Hodges
Nigel Pepper
Gary Hooper
Steve Mildenhall
Bobby Bennett
George Friend
Michael Timlin
Jamie Forrester
Jacob Murphy
Theo Robinson
Mike Angus

Andy Smillie

I remember seeing Ian Botham play for Scunthorpe at Roots Hall in a night game, so almost definitely a Friday match.

Ray Clemence not far behind. It's a good old quiz question - name the three England captains to have played for Scunthorpe!

Luke Daniels
Luke O'Neill
Kevan Hurst
Keith Lindsey
Lee Hodges
Nigel Pepper
Gary Hooper
Steve Mildenhall
Bobby Bennett
George Friend
Michael Timlin
Jamie Forrester
Jacob Murphy
Theo Robinson
Mike Angus

In addition to Mick's Andy Smillie...

Martin Carruthers.

In addition to Mick's Andy Smillie...

Martin Carruthers.

Curruthers indeed - did he not score against us in the very next Scunthorpe v Southend game? I have a vague memory of standing behind the goal and wondering quite why we let him go (or was he sold) even though he was supposed to be a bit of difficult person (so I was told).

I remember seeing Ian Botham play for Scunthorpe at Roots Hall in a night game, so almost definitely a Friday match. He was a centre back.
ian-botham-scunthorpe-football_3262479.jpg

I'm not mad on cricket, but loved the story of when Botham started his career for Somerset and faced a fierce bouncer from Andy Roberts the West Indian bowler, that hit him straight in the mouth. He spat his teeth out and carried on batting.

The only match it could have been was Friday 17th October 1980 Southend won 2-0 slightly before my time anyone remember it?
It couldn't have been the games v Scunthorpe in 1984 as I was going then and would have remembered it. He only played 11 games for Scunthorpe. I see he played non-league for Yeovil as well.

The only match it could have been was Friday 17th October 1980 Southend won 2-0 slightly before my time anyone remember it?
It couldn't have been the games v Scunthorpe in 1984 as I was going then and would have remembered it. He only played 11 games for Scunthorpe. I see he played non-league for Yeovil as well.

That sounds about right.

I was at that game, as it was part of the amazing home run that season.

I'm pretty sure Botham didn't play, as I would have remembered it.

You'd think his 11 appearances would be listed somewhere.

I've now found the team list from that programme but, of course, there could have been team changes on the night :-

608639287_tp.jpg

I'll always remember the home game against Scunthorpe in the 71/72 season, as I remember it was a Friday night game and was chucking it down, we played really well but ended up on the wrong end of a 3-2 scoreline, all because of a little git that ripped us to pieces, went by the name of Keegan, dont know what happened to him. Both teams got promoted that season, us 2nd and Scunthorpe 4th. One of the best games I've ever seen at the Hall.

I've now found the team list from that programme but, of course, there could have been team changes on the night :-

View attachment 4251

There was definitely a pop theme to that Scunthorpe side.

Not only was Dave Stewart on the subs bench, but the two centre halves were Dall & Oates!

Back