• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Scunthorpe Utd vs Southend Utd

I don’t wanna see Mantom or Dieng in a Southend shirt again if they are gonna continuously play like that... might as well have 9 on the pitch

Exactly my thoughts. They’re absolute passengers when we haven’t got the ball. Dieng is scared of an aerial challenge and trots about. Mantom is showing why he wasn’t wanted at Scunthorpe. Don’t think Hyam brings much either.

You have to defend from the front and this lot simply don’t get through enough work.

Cox was fuming with the players at the final whistle. Waving his arms about looked like he was telling them to get their arses in the dressing room. Meanwhile Captain Mantom was wandering about like a lost boy in the centre circle away from the team!
Sums up the lack of passion in most of this team....and it shows in our play in all the matches this year

Let's face it we all knew once they equalised we would fold in the second half. Same story all season. And the Pig and Wordsworth visiting on Saturday.

A defensive line. Defensive tactics. I can't believe how many backward passes we made tonight. We put too many back passes towards Bishop . His kicking is not the best and tonight in the weather conditions it was emphasized.

Why was there the need for so many changes?

Totally useless.

I got slated for again critising Powell on Saturday. I want read the comments from these individuals tonight...

Speak up.....

Ok..

Firstly, You’re asking why we’re so defensive. The simple answer is, we don’t have goals in this team, so we employ a tactic to suit what we have.

For example, if you take Cox out of the mix, who is our second top scorer, that is fit?

Losing Hopper & then Humphrys has been a far bigger blow, than people are willing to accept. I think I’m right in Saying that those two, along with Cox have scored over 50% of our goals this season. One has been out for 5 months & the other has only played a few games.

That is so telling. How can anyone ignore that?

Therefore, our gameplan - like it or not - is clearly to contain the opposition & try and hit them on the break.

I can understand why that isn’t favoured by many. I personally don’t like it either. However, needs must. and if it is enough to see us through, then so-be-it.

I’d agree that it is negative & unexciting to watch. But, at times this tactic has worked well. What has let it down, is schoolboy errors made by the playing staff. Unfortunately, due to our shallow amount of resources, players who make these mistakes, and who aren’t good enough for this level, cannot be replaced.

That again, is very telling.

No amount of formations or tactics will change the fact that we have a leaky defence & a goal shy attacking line.

Ok..

Firstly, You’re asking why we’re so defensive. The simple answer is, we don’t have goals in this team, so we employ a tactic to suit what we have.

For example, if you take Cox out of the mix, who is our second top scorer, that is fit?

Losing Hopper & then Humphrys has been a far bigger blow, than people are willing to accept. I think I’m right in Saying that those two, along with Cox have scored over 50% of our goals this season. One has been out for 5 months & the other has only played a few games.

That is so telling. How can anyone ignore that?

Therefore, our gameplan - like it or not - is clearly to contain the opposition & try and hit them on the break.

I can understand why that isn’t favoured by many. I personally don’t like it either. However, needs must. and if it is enough to see us through, then so-be-it.

I’d agree that it is negative & unexciting to watch. But, at times this tactic has worked well. What has let it down, is schoolboy errors made by the playing staff. Unfortunately, due to our shallow amount of resources, players who make these mistakes, and who aren’t good enough for this level, cannot be replaced.

That again, is very telling.

No amount of formations or tactics will change the fact that we have a leaky defence & a goal shy attacking line.

I'm sorry, but when exactly has this tactic worked???

Our best attacking and forward midfielders are being left out of the side (Dru and McL for example) in favour of slow pedestrians such as Mantom, Dieng and Hyam.

I'm sorry, but when exactly has this tactic worked???

Our best attacking and forward midfielders are being left out of the side (Dru and McL for example) in favour of slow pedestrians such as Mantom, Dieng and Hyam.

From the reports, I would suggest it was working last night. That is, right up until 1) an incredible bit of bad luck pegged us back & then 2) another unfortunate mistake from one of our own.

It also worked against Blackpool. Up until unfortunate mistakes from our own cost us.

It worked against Barnsley. Well, until one of our own made a mistake.

Our best? Well that sums it up then.

Dru has been underperforming all season. No wait, let me rephrase that... Dru has been performing exactly as you’d expect from a kid, who was still learning his trade.

Mac? How many good games has he had this season?

If we’re Relying on those two as our best attacking players, then no wonder we’re in the mire.

You’re absolutely spot on about Dieng & Mantom though. if it were upto me, they’d be long gone. I’m not sure who I’d replace them with, however.

Back