• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sea fishing

Greebosan

Manager⭐
Been a very casual sea angler for most of my life - any interest among my fellow shrimpers?

Me and the missus just joined a local sea fishing club, we don't expect to win any competitions!

I do fancy a sea fishing boat day, but at a more clement time of the year. If you know a good skipper, and rods etc are supplied for the day please pm me so I can make it happen in 2020

The club do run boat trips I think - Thorpe Bay Angling Association, but I think we will stick to better weather trips too to be fair - the freezing cold doesn't appeal so much these days!

I much prefer sea fishing to all that pond stuff. My son goes to France every year for a week to dangle his rod.. ( keep it clean guys) in massive ponds. I guess each to there own, but when you spent a period of your youth fishing off southend pier, when decent fish were about, I guess it's in the blood.

I used to fish off the beach in Thorpe bay years ago, occasionally at Southend and Shoeburyness as well, always used to do well from Thorpe bay tho, the odd time off the pier but only used to catch frigging crabs off it, caught a 2lb 2oz plaice off Thorpe bay beach some 25 years ago, size of a big frying pan that was, over the last few years tho a lot of fish have just disappeared for some reason, might go again if I can brave the weather.

Well as Greebosan started it and Cricko has made my eyes mist up mentioning Southend Pier in our youth.Bait digging then off to the pier for the day. Nothing like it at the time.
Last week in my chosen West of Ireland habitat for last 35 years went on a three day trip to Hook Peninsula,Wexford.Holiday home,a bit drafty,and sometimes very wet.Two of us encamped during the day on a small sandy beach either end of two cliffs and crashing waves.
All we used was lug dug by ourselves(Oh my back !!)
Between us we caught five good flounders and TWENTY TWO bass. What sport and you will be pleased to know that most of the bass went back to grow even bigger.

All started from the Southend Pier experience!

Well that has brought back many happy memories.

Loved fishing off the Pier, walking down the High Street early in the morning to the bait/fishing shop Going Bros (see pic below) at the top of Pier Hill to getting a dozen or so rag worms neatly rapped up in newspaper, then the walk along the Pier and trying our luck at each shelter, and then on to the end. Was great going under the end of the Pier if the tide was out and then having to move up the steps as the tide came in. I think they stopped people doing that after the big fire and even though the end has been rebuilt, they have blocked access to the lower sections (See pic below Under Southend Pier)

I then progressed to boat night fishing, around a dozen of us would meet up in Old Leigh with beers and BBQ and get on a fishing boat, we would go out to Mulberry Harbour, the Maunsell Forts and the Red Sands Forts, or to secret skippers wrecks (Not SS Richard Montgomery). They were great times and the fishing was fantastic, so was the laughs and beers.

Nigel Gayner 902733_10200164508409676_2065974933_o.jpg
Going Bros top of Southend High Street

6c17054f8cc2d328b3c7d5df8a54f741.jpg
Under Southend Pier Head

Goings had huge range of hunting knives on display, air guns and cross bows, all now banned.
I used to go bait digging and then fishing with an elder cousin, a Cotgrove, (fairly big family in the town in the 60s) and we fished off Camper Road jetty, the pier or Westcliiff groyne. And we would have crafty fags because at 12 we thought it was tough!
Caught a few flounder, other flat fish and sometimes mackerel off the pier.
Happy innocent days. .

Summer holidays spent on the pier, the beach and the sea wall of the Crouch in the seventies. Boat fishing in the eighties especially on board beers with mates. Good memories.

Nothing like it. Apart from supporting SUFC of course. Started out cycling down to Hullbridge as a youngster for some eel bashing, or on the pier for loads of flounder. Stepped up to fishing the Suffolk beaches for cod, boats in the Thames. Competitions all over the UK. Fishing holidays in the UK and Eire. My favourite destination, the Dingle Peninsula, County Kerry, West Ireland. Some stonking fish there. Must have been there 2 dozen times, mostly towing an 18 footer. Fabulous times. Hoping to give Norway a bash next. All started 55 years ago in South Essex. Pretty much like supporting The Shrimpers. Never wavered.

Too right Ace, the Dingle is spectacular, and the PUBS! Tralee is tops too, about size of Rochford with 50 plus bars;- a lock-in there is something to remember, if only you could!

Couldn't agree more MG. A steaming bowl of clam chowder with soda bread, washed down with a few pints of the black stuff or Murphy's, liquid nectar.

Back