• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/02/league-one-2017-18-season-preview

See The Guardian just about fancy us to be in the play off mix.Could be worse though.IIRC, they reckoned we'd go down last season..

See MK is one of their men to watch:-

Michael Kightly (Southend)

Kightly’s release by Burnley at the end of last season was not particularly surprising but his decision to drop down two divisions to rejoin his first Football League club, Southend, was unexpected after he had been linked with a switch to the Championship with Ipswich or Millwall. At 31 Kightly still has plenty of football left in him and the winger will add real quality to the division with his ability to take on full-backs and reach the by-line. The manager, Phil Brown, believes it is a coup that takes the club to “the next level”, and revealed season-ticket sales received an immediate boost when Kightly signed

10th as we mirror last season...poor start due to poor pre season for important players, then we rally and show some form then we die at the end agian due to poor pre season for important players

I'm going for 2nd place this season. We are a lot stronger than we were last season although a little worried we might start slowly again.

Heart says 5th, head says 8th or 9th. The quality of the division as a whole has improved as much as we have.

Tougher league this year. Consistency is key. Our first 11 week in week out could challenge for the autos. Realistically how often will we be able to field our first 11. Coker out. Turner out. Wordsworth out. Ranger banged up still and won't be available for a good while. We have some promising youngsters who need to gel.

Potentially we have the makings of a good squad. I just feel we are always going to be one or two injuries/players short of the top 6. Hope I'm wrong.

Blackburn
Charlton
Mk dons
Bury
Wigan

Will probably be looking at top 6. There are also another 4 or 5 thinking the same.

It's going to be a long season. UTB

Tougher league this year. Consistency is key. Our first 11 week in week out could challenge for the autos. Realistically how often will we be able to field our first 11. Coker out. Turner out. Wordsworth out. Ranger banged up still and won't be available for a good while. We have some promising youngsters who need to gel.

Potentially we have the makings of a good squad. I just feel we are always going to be one or two injuries/players short of the top 6. Hope I'm wrong.

Blackburn
Charlton
Mk dons
Bury
Wigan

Will probably be looking at top 6. There are also another 4 or 5 thinking the same.

It's going to be a long season. UTB

Pretty much my thoughts too, anything outside a top 6 finish is going to be a massive disappointment. Lots of teams have invested so reckon it will be a very competitive division this year.

Blackburn, Bradford, Charlton and Wigan to be the main threat for promotion

I reckon 4th or 5th is do-able... Injuries will be the decider as to whether we finish higher or lower than that

It's shaping up to be a very strong division, as others have said. As happy as I am with our progression it stands to reason that if other clubs have greater resources, and have used them wisely, they start as favourites to outperform us. I try to avoid making boastful predictions which later bite me on the backside, but if we're top half again and winning more than we're losing with the quality of football from last year, or better, I'll be a happy camper.

This is going to be the most competitive league one ever in my view,look at the number of clubs that was once and not too long ago plying there trade in the premiershite,Wigan,Blackburn,Portsmouth,Charlton,Blackpool,and i suppose you could throw in wimbledon,then you have many clubs that have made some decent signings etc ,i will be happy if our football can surpass that of last year,with a decent start i think the playoffs would to me say its been a successful season ,to get promoted or another trip to Wembley and i would be over the moon, also wouldnt it be nice to get a decent cup run.To all the players ,management and staff at SUFC , I WISH YOU ALL A SUCCESSFUL AND INJURY FREE SEASON . GO YOU BLUES:happy:

I'm guessing we will finish somewhere between 6th and 9th.

I don't think we will make the auto's, but the play off's are certainly possible. I feel we have a stronger squad this season than last season, but we have a tougher league this time around, so it will balance itself out between luck and injuries.

Play Offs at the minimum, if everyone is firing on all cylinders then we can easily do autos.

slow start again only 15 fit players 2 days before the start of the season is not good enough....9th at best

Back