• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well I'm going to respectfully disagree. Front to back this is a team packed with quality to a degree that I've never seen in my decades supporting this Club. If this team can't compete right at the top of the division then I'm not sure I see the point any more!

It's not so much ourselves as it is the other teams.... League One is a much higher standard than it was 10+ years ago. Other clubs are just advancing their squad quality quicker than us.

It's not so much ourselves as it is the other teams.... League One is a much higher standard than it was 10+ years ago. Other clubs are just advancing their squad quality quicker than us.

Couldn't agree more with this the quality of players now plying their trade in League One improves every year.

3rd or 4th with a trip to Wembley for the play-offs because our great cup run will cost us a place in the top 2. Dru Yearwood to be POTY.

Yes it does, it's a very strong league but I've definitely missed all of these incredible signings that have made all of these other teams so much better than us.

If Kightly can make up for us not having Wordsworth and Ranger available then we could challenge for a play off place. We could well struggle to win games -there could be a lot of draws early on and not many wins which means we will be playing catch up again. It also depends how we approach games -lets hope we don't go back to one up front.

Blackburn, Wigan, Charlton, Fleetwood, maybe Scunthorpe again will be there or thereabouts. Bradford have lost a lot of players. I think Oxford with Jack and Bristol Rovers will also push on from last season. Both Portsmouth and Plymouth could also challenge. Anywhere between 6 and 10 depending on luck.

Can you list the last 5 games we played with one up front.

We didn't for the whole of last season. Why would we when we've got 4 good strikers.

We didn't play one upfront the season before last, or from Christmas during our promotion season......That's why I asked.

I'm really surprised at the negativity. I can't ever remember going into a season with as good a chance of promotion as this, including when we did get promoted. The team has quality throughout the side. I'm concerned at a lack of depth but other teams rely on their youth and maybe we need to do so as well.

So long as Ferdinand and Cox stay fit and if Ranger keeps his head screwed on I'd be stunned if we weren't in contention.

If you can't get excited about this team then when are you going to get excited supporting Southend United?

My problem is the injuries and incarceration that have disrupted pre season....again. For example similar scenario last season...poor start and dying a death at the end, Why??? Poor pre season preparation. De ja vu I'm afraid. Our first 11 could do very well indeed....we won't get 20 games out of our first 11. Then we have to Look at the man who keeps signing these players...

Didn't we have a few games last year with one up top? When Ranger was injured and before Fortune was signed and we had Mooney up top on his own.

That may have been a nightmare admittedly.

EDIT - yep five game run from Millwall on 17th September up to and including away at Rochdale on 8th Otober.

My problem is the injuries and incarceration that have disrupted pre season....again. For example similar scenario last season...poor start and dying a death at the end, Why??? Poor pre season preparation. De ja vu I'm afraid. Our first 11 could do very well indeed....we won't get 20 games out of our first 11. Then we have to Look at the man who keeps signing these players...

Such negativity. If you can't be positive the week before the season when can you? Try it.

Such negativity. If you can't be positive the week before the season when can you? Try it.

Hee hee I'm actually buzzing for Saturday, just being realistic for our prospects this season as a whole. I'm very positive about our midfield 4...
Kightly lenny yearwood macca is a fantastic line up.

Last season we some excellent signings for a club our size and our wage budget even though we had to be patient for some of those players That's why we climbed from 23rd to 6th by Christmas.

Despite beating Oldham 3-0 with ten men it was the start of our bad week which costs us a place in the top 6. The injuries had nothing to do with pre-season preparation.

Didn't we have a few games last year with one up top? When Ranger was injured and before Fortune was signed and we had Mooney up top on his own.

That may have been a nightmare admittedly.

EDIT - yep five game run from Millwall on 17th September up to and including away at Rochdale on 8th Otober.

Mac G played as a forward at home to Millwall (check out Mooney's goal) as he did away at Northampton. Even at Rochdale both Mac G and Mac L played very high up the pitch more like a front 3. We had plenty of the ball in their 3rd until they scored with their first attempt on goal, from a set piece of course.

Playoffs minimum will be the target for PB but unless he's holding out for some quality signings again like last season then I can't see us finishing any higher than 10th in all honesty. Too small a squad with quite a bad injury record. Having 4/5 players out before a ball has even been kicked is never a good sign either.

Last season we some excellent signings for a club our size and our wage budget even though we had to be patient for some of those players That's why we climbed from 23rd to 6th by Christmas.

Despite beating Oldham 3-0 with ten men it was the start of our bad week which costs us a place in the top 6. The injuries had nothing to do with pre-season preparation

We started the season terribly..fact
We ended the season terribly....fact
These thing do not happen without reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you list the last 5 games we played with one up front.

Walsall at home was the last one I can remember. Didn't really understand it at the time and felt it was forced to give Amos a game but we ultimately won the game after changing the shape anyway so didn't really matter much.

We started the season terribly..fact
We ended the season terribly....fact
These thing do not happen without reason.

We finished 7th.....fact
Higher than most predicted.... fact
You don't finish 7th without a good reason

Walsall at home was the last one I can remember. Didn't really understand it at the time and felt it was forced to give Amos a game but we ultimately won the game after changing the shape anyway so didn't really matter much.

Partly that and the fact that Cox was dropped after a couple of 'lazy' games. Wordsworth did push up very high in the first half and had 3 good chances on goal including a top save from their keeper.

Back