• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How is the squad "depleted" ?? Explain. Explain how we won't be able to put a very decent starting 11 out tomorrow, it may be 451 formation , which I understand you don't approve of, but then also look at the players that we can call upon from the bench !!! We have regained 95% of our promotion squad and added some excellent players to it. We have coverage on a day for all positions. Depleted was when Sturrock took over and not one fan knew any of the starting players. We do and we will tomorrow. Again, the fact of the matter is (and this is fact not opinion) the transfer window remains open for a further 4 weeks , therefore this depleted squad as you put it will get added to !!

Latest rumour suggests Bents has left the building,if true then a well depleted squad,don't you think.

Bentley hasnt left yet and Brown has already said he is looking at replacements should that happen.

We have plenty of players to play in central defence a very strong midfield and two out and out strikers with Weston being tested up front.

We lack cover at full back and still need another striker at least, but it would seem Pigott may be here for tomorrow.

We havent loaned anyone yet either.

We dont have enough players for an entire season but we have plenty to get started with and the window is open for weeks yet.

Latest rumour suggests Bents has left the building,if true then a well depleted squad,don't you think.

This is tiring ( also I thought you had left this debate )

If Bentley has gone , then it's because we've received a substantial bid for him ! We cannot control when other Ckubs will bid for our players !! We cannot replace Bentley until we know if and when he is going !!! So your argument would now be decline all bids for Bentley because we have a game tomorrow ! What planet do you live on , you speak as though you could run a football club better, but you just talk nonsense !

If Bentley goes, I'm sure it's for a deal that's good for the club. If yes Ted Smith has to play tomorrow , so beit . And again I have already said , that our squad is not big enough for the season BUT the window is open for 3 more weeks yet ! The squad and nucleus is good enough for tomorrow !! Please read things properly first !

This is tiring ( also I thought you had left this debate )

If Bentley has gone , then it's because we've received a substantial bid for him ! We cannot control when other Ckubs will bid for our players !! We cannot replace Bentley until we know if and when he is going !!! So your argument would now be decline all bids for Bentley because we have a game tomorrow ! What planet do you live on , you speak as though you could run a football club better, but you just talk nonsense !

If Bentley goes, I'm sure it's for a deal that's good for the club. If yes Ted Smith has to play tomorrow , so beit . And again I have already said , that our squad is not big enough for the season BUT the window is open for 3 more weeks yet ! The squad and nucleus is good enough for tomorrow !! Please read things properly first !

Where have I ever said the club should turn down offers,the answer is I haven't.

Any contracted player then the club has complete control,plus the fact being the club knew offers were coming in so only a matter of time before he left.

Ted is nowhere near ready.

We are meant to be a third tier professional full time football club which for me I reckon most of the squad should be assembled by now including back up keeper if Bents goes or stays.

I did read properly,what planet do you live on ?

We cant sign another keeper till its certain Bentley is to leave, Brown already has replacements in mind, what else can he do.

Ted Smith is deemed by Brown to be our back up, he has already played games. If Bentley leaves we will sign a first team keeper, we wont be signing a second one for back up.

Where have I ever said the club should turn down offers,the answer is I haven't.

Any contracted player then the club has complete control,plus the fact being the club knew offers were coming in so only a matter of time before he left.

Ted is nowhere near ready.

We are meant to be a third tier professional full time football club which for me I reckon most of the squad should be assembled by now including back up keeper if Bents goes or stays.

I did read properly,what planet do you live on ?

You are not in control if you are the contracted club because your stance and position is driven by offers from third parties that you cannot control !!

Now, on to goal keepers, yep Smith is not ready to be a season number 1 goal keeper but again, until the Bents position is clarified , we cannot move to get his replacement in, of which I would assume PB has a short list ! I'm arguing this point, because you think losing Bentley backs up your argument of a "depleted" squad and it doesn't in any easy shape or form ... Football is a commodity business, we cannot replace our commodity until our has moved on !!

You are not in control if you are the contracted club because your stance and position is driven by offers from third parties that you cannot control !!

Now, on to goal keepers, yep Smith is not ready to be a season number 1 goal keeper but again, until the Bents position is clarified , we cannot move to get his replacement in, of which I would assume PB has a short list ! I'm arguing this point, because you think losing Bentley backs up your argument of a "depleted" squad and it doesn't in any easy shape or form ... Football is a commodity business, we cannot replace our commodity until our has moved on !!

The selling club have the option to sell or keep that is a fact(I'm not saying Ron should say no,just stating a fact)

If Bents stays,then going into this season with only Ted as understudy is asking for trouble.

Plenty of keepers about who would cost the same or even cheaper than Mr Horton:winking:

I would be happy with just loads of fire power, the keegan style of the 90's... Ship a load of goals but score more..... There is nothing better for crowd entertainment, bums on seats go up too.

I would be happy with just loads of fire power, the keegan style of the 90's... Ship a load of goals but score more..... There is nothing better for crowd entertainment, bums on seats go up too.

everyone would love to watch " gung ho" football every week, and to some extent we played that attractive attacking style under tilson, look how we ended up... Then look at how the likes of Stoke built their premiership status by being hard to beat. And a example closer to home is how PB kept hull in the premiership by being hard to beat. West Ham fans whinged and whinged under curbishley and big Sam because it was boring... But it was safe. Then they sacked curbishley and look where theh ended up... I think under brown we will be hard to beat and I'd prefer staying up playing safe then getting relegated again playing attractive football.

everyone would love to watch " gung ho" football every week, and to some extent we played that attractive attacking style under tilson, look how we ended up... Then look at how the likes of Stoke built their premiership status by being hard to beat. And a example closer to home is how PB kept hull in the premiership by being hard to beat. West Ham fans whinged and whinged under curbishley and big Sam because it was boring... But it was safe. Then they sacked curbishley and look where theh ended up... I think under brown we will be hard to beat and I'd prefer staying up playing safe then getting relegated again playing attractive football.

But if we scored more than we let it we would never go down! ��

I seem to remember that when we went up via the playoffs into league 1 last time, we were highly tipped to be relegation fodder. Then we won the league... How meaningful are these predictions? mmm...

95% of the squad that got more points in any season than any other side in Southend history. Relegation fodder if you ask me. :net::net::net::net::net:

Last edited:
Aside from Barry Frys short stint I struggle to recall a time when we had an ample squad. I can recall however always being tipped for relegation should we find ourselves higher than Div 4/league 2. We could surprise this year, but I'd be chuffed with a few 'quiet' seasons at this level...before powering into the championship with a new stadium.

I only have one expectation this season , and im 100% positive PB will achieve that for me ,that is to avoid relegation.Because i know PB will use this season as a platform for a playoff position next season ,and if we fail in the playoffs next season ,then the following season SUFC under PB will attain promotion either via Wembley or Automatics.This i am very positive about,and for someone who halfway through last season was calling for his head is quite something.:happy::thumbsup:

Some members of Shrimper Zone keep saying Ted Smith is not ready for a shot at becoming Southend's No 1 goalkeeper if Dan Bentley moves in the near future. How do they know that? He needs a run in the first team before anyone can make that sort of judgement.

Those Hunt detractors, did you see him against Orient last weekend? If you did you will have seen a keen footballing brain, and a player who, whilst a little unfit, clearly has more about him than any forward we've had in the last 5 years. He's not far off fit and when he is, then I am sure he will rip the division apart. As with any new combination of forwards, he (and the others) need to work each other out, our forward line is as strong as it's been in decades!

Those Hunt detractors, did you see him against Orient last weekend? If you did you will have seen a keen footballing brain, and a player who, whilst a little unfit, clearly has more about him than any forward we've had in the last 5 years. He's not far off fit and when he is, then I am sure he will rip the division apart. As with any new combination of forwards, he (and the others) need to work each other out, our forward line is as strong as it's been in decades!

Without being pedantic,

Did Hunt score...no
Did Mooney score...no
Are Orient playing in a league below..yes
Did we lose..yes

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by OldBlueLady

Without being pedantic,

Did Hunt score...no
Did Mooney score...no
Are Orient playing in a league below..yes
Did we lose..yes

No MrsBlue.... Stop telling the truth, put the rose tinted things on like most... You know the ones, yes he is fit, yes he scored, yes we won...

Back