• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agent Lomas

Manager
So, on hearing news last month that we asked every team in the league to switch their visits to Roots Hall to friday nights, if that had happened, i'm sure i wouldn't have been the only one to send their season ticket back and ask for a refund?

As good as Friday night games under the floodlights are, it means getting out of work (in Chelmsford) at half 5, hoping the trains are running on time, and that i can even get out at half 5 to start with!

If i'm honest, its becoming ridiculous, the amount of games that get moved to friday nights AFTER we've all bought our season tickets..i think its about 3 of our home games this season were originally scheduled for a saturday but then got moved forward a day...

This needs to be taken into account by the club as most of us work on Fridays, and then cannot make it to the games in the evenings. Then they claim that attendances are poor on Fridays...that ain't the fans' faults...they're the ones that moved a quarter of our home games to Fridays...

midweek games are the reason I gave my season ticket up two seasons ago, will pick as choose my games, clubs loss as I know a fair few that have also done this, only way:sad:

stop moaning..................

Last home league game on a Saturday was 7th September, since then we have played Scunthorpe, Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood all on Friday nights and have Mansfield tomorrow night. Not until 23rd November some 11 weeks later we next play a Saturday game. Also add in the mix we played Daggers on a Tuesday and we have a Friday night game in December and January, we also have another Tuesday night game later on in the season. Fortunately I can make night games however getting in from work at gone 18.00 at times and leaving for the game at 18:45 as living in Wickford its a rush to get changed and eat, so I do feel a little cheated in what they have done. I can sympathise with people that cant make night games. I do like the odd Friday night games but football is a Saturday afternoon thing and the amount of Friday games and an 11 week Saturday lay off is un acceptable

You're all going on about this as if it's unexpected! Why are you all so surprised? You should take this into account when buying season tickets as it is extremely likely that games are going to get moved around during the season. Don't like it? Don't buy a season ticket!

Last home league game on a Saturday was 7th September, since then we have played Scunthorpe, Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood all on Friday nights and have Mansfield tomorrow night. Not until 23rd November some 11 weeks later we next play a Saturday game. Also add in the mix we played Daggers on a Tuesday and we have a Friday night game in December and January, we also have another Tuesday night game later on in the season. Fortunately I can make night games however getting in from work at gone 18.00 at times and leaving for the game at 18:45 as living in Wickford its a rush to get changed and eat, so I do feel a little cheated in what they have done. I can sympathise with people that cant make night games. I do like the odd Friday night games but football is a Saturday afternoon thing and the amount of Friday games and an 11 week Saturday lay off is un acceptable

I agree with you on this. I used to be a season ticket holder but gave it up because of all the evening games. There must be loads like me especially those who don't live in Southend .

You're all going on about this as if it's unexpected! Why are you all so surprised? You should take this into account when buying season tickets as it is extremely likely that games are going to get moved around during the season. Don't like it? Don't buy a season ticket!

I have had a season ticket for the past 14 seasons and I know that the odd 2 or 3 games a season gets changed to a Friday night but 6 and 4 of those consecutive with a Tuesday night game thrown in is taking the **** and poor decision making by the club. People get a season ticket and for there loyalty reward receive about 5 free games a season than if you were to purchase a match ticket for every game and it guarantees there seat incase we pull out Man U in the cup or limited away tickets etc

I really like a Friday night game myself,and I am glad we have a good few this season.I do understand that for some fans its hard to make it to the ground on a Friday night.We all know that before the fixtures come out there may well be a few fixture changes.I got to admit that I would not want all our fixtures on a Friday evening but like the balance at the moment.

Quite like Friday night games myself, always a better atmosphere under the lights and it also means I can watch Soccer Saturday at the weekend.

What a ridiculous comment. Maybe because it was unexpected? Who buys a season ticket anticipating that THIS many games would be moved to the Friday? If they had announced this before season tickets went on sale then I (and I assume many others) wouldn't have bought one due to work commitments. I'm now missing my 3rd home game of the season tomorrow.

This information was available at the start of the season, I'm not quite sure why you would start a thread about it now? Southend, historically, have always liked to play matches on a Friday night. It's a chance you take if you buy a ST. At least you know you'll still have priority if we get a plum FA Cup draw at some point this season - :whistling:

Imagine supporting a Premiership club in the Europa league, they must have loads of games moved to Sunday's before the Sky commitments move other games.

Just the way football is nowadays (although there has always been Friday games), the 3pm Saturday kick off is quickly becoming less of a gaurentee.

Personally, a 3pm Saturday kick off is never as fun or rarely seems as exciting as matches under the lights for me...although it is the bread and butter of a football fan.

Someone who agrees with me!

Personally I quite like the Friday night games - just something about it

For me as an exile it's a pain as for the first time in 4 months+ I'm coming to Essex and I can't go to the game because it's on a Friday night. There is a much less of a chance of me catching games at home when I am back in Essex because the Friday nights will be too much of a rush. I think we are going to lose lots of fans if they increase the level of Friday night games. 1 or 2 a season is good because then it's something to look forward too. 4-6 or more is just no fun. Especially in the winter time when the nights are getting colder, plus on a Friday night who takes a 5 year old to a game that finishes at 9.30? You will lose the younger fans. It's bad from the club that is supposedly trying to encourage younger fans!

We used to prefer playing on a Friday night because it was thought we got higher crowds than if we played on a Saturday as locals who had Southend as their second team, would watch us on a Friday and then go up to London to watch West Ham, Spurs, etc on a Saturday. Tranmere and Stockport used to play home games on a Friday too because of their close proximity to Liverpool and Manchester.
These days I don't think that effect exists anymore - far less people go to watch more than one team probably due to cost and if anything Friday nights games may get lower crowds nowadays than Saturday games.

I bought my season ticket to savethe hassle of getting tickets on the day and primarily to watch football on Saturday afternoon.The odd Friday night game is fine by me but the Club are taking supporters for granted. To arrange 4 Friday home games in quick succession is laughable.

Fortunately, I have made them all so far but would be pretty miffed if I hadn't.Tuesday night games are arranged by teh League so I don't have an issue with that. Postponements and Cup replays again no issue they happen.

I for one am going to seriously consider whether I buy a season ticket next year and will want the Club to be honest about match days before I buy.

Do think the Club should consider the possible impact on attendances with West Ham's move to the Olympic Stadium. Very easy to get to by train, might be very attractive to the floating support.

I bought my season ticket to savethe hassle of getting tickets on the day and primarily to watch football on Saturday afternoon.The odd Friday night game is fine by me but the Club are taking supporters for granted. To arrange 4 Friday home games in quick succession is laughable.

Fortunately, I have made them all so far but would be pretty miffed if I hadn't.Tuesday night games are arranged by teh League so I don't have an issue with that. Postponements and Cup replays again no issue they happen.

I for one am going to seriously consider whether I buy a season ticket next year and will want the Club to be honest about match days before I buy.

Do think the Club should consider the possible impact on attendances with West Ham's move to the Olympic Stadium. Very easy to get to by train, might be very attractive to the floating support.

It would be easier fro me to get to the Olympic Stadium rather Southend United's ground (wherever it will end up being!)

I am a Southend fan though and would have to think very seriously before watching West Spam..... however I understand that the seaso's at W.H once they move will be pretty good value, and it could be more than tempting for many to go there and watch premier league football, rather than watch the dross that we have to endure most games at RH.

I think also this could affect attendances from next year, because I am am told that if you have a season card at WH next season you would get special privileges for the Olympic Stadium when they move there.

I go to R.H with my son (a SUFC fan of 27yrs since I took him when he was 7yrs old and a seaso like me) and he is intending to go to W.H with my other son (who is a spammer like his mum and both our families). So after over 40yrs of supporting SUFC, I may up sticks to go there with him, as being with him is more important to me than SUFC.

Next year could be the make or break season for SUFC, so I think the club should be looking for ways now to convince existing fans like us to stay loyal.. rather than frightening them away by treating them with contempt.

Would have to think very hard before watching West Ham myself on a regular basis. Just if I didn't have a season ticket the odd game would be very tempting, particularly the Saturday afternoon matches.I was thinking not so much of my own preference but more in general terms and how the floating support would react.

Back