• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seasons Over Just Playing It Out

TMWLT

Banned
well today confirmed what we knew deep down that the season is over, and probably has been for a while. the only goal now is to get the 20 points needed to stay up. the team on paper is a very poor one. and is quite average, interesting to see the crowd attendance today or lack of it.

people are not stupid the once a year fans would expect to have come to be entertained, would you truly want to take your relatives to that today

perhaps there should be a shake up on the managerial front . as for my comments regarding hunt I rest my case

the club is in financial dodo no money to bring any players in it does look very bleak. or will some of you idiots on here, come out with your usual cr..p

can we stay up??

Of course we can. For Gods sake, just over the last couple of years this same team of people saved us from going out of the football league, got us to two cup finals in successive years, took us to a playoff final and nearly kept us in the hardest league in British Football. We also reached the upper echelons of the Carling Cup beating a certain Man Utd.

We're just on a bad run. Admittedly, we probably now know that this is a season to rebuild and consolidate, but I still believe changing the manager right now would be one of the very worst decisions that the SUFC Board will have ever made.

Of course we can. For Gods sake, just over the last couple of years this same team of people saved us from going out of the football league, got us to two cup finals in successive years, took us to a playoff final and nearly kept us in the hardest league in British Football. We also reached the upper echelons of the Carling Cup beating a certain Man Utd.

We're just on a bad run. Admittedly, we probably now know that this is a season to rebuild and consolidate, but I still believe changing the manager right now would be one of the very worst decisions that the SUFC Board will have ever made.

Its like a scratched record on here.

Although I dont believe a change in manager is the right way to go but we've got to stop looking at the past and look at the now.

Its like a scratched record on here.

Well whats the alternative? Surely to fire someone, you need to have a better back up plan? Take Fulham and Hodgson, a move I CAN understand.

Bearing in mind the lack of finances that people rightly point out, the good / average squad, the glamour of League One football and the other dozen or so larger clubs keeping an eye on potential vacancies, who else could offer us a better amount of experience, passion and ability?

However, having not been there today I look forward to some feedback from those that were

Last edited:
I am not going to say we need a new manager but please please can we stop this we beat Man.U, LDV finals, QF Carling Cup, Play-off Finals every time someone has a opinion of we need changes etc. Yes they were great days but currently things do need to change

I am not going to say we need a new manager but please please can we stop this we beat Man.U, LDV finals, QF Carling Cup, Play-off Finals every time someone has a opinion of we need changes etc. Yes they were great days but currently things do need to change

No thats a very fair point, which has been noted. But I do think thats a pretty impressive CV...

Down to one man, who now plays for Wolves. :cry:

So your OPINION that we need to change the manager, etc, is perfectly valid, but when EVIDENCE of that manager's achievements is refered to it is irrelevant?

Who the hell could come in and do a better job with the resources we have? How about some REALISTIC names then, instead of this airy-fairy "It has to change" while ignoring the evidence and the reality that we are a SMALL CLUB punching above our weight?

Down to one man, who now plays for Wolves. :cry:

Bollocks! Yes having Freddy made a huge difference, but we won plenty of games without him. The reality is that Tilly has built good teams from limited resources, and will continue to do so. But not everything will go to plan all the time, and this jumping up and down and shouting for change for changes sake is pointless.

Bollocks! Yes having Freddy made a huge difference, but we won plenty of games without him. The reality is that Tilly has built good teams from limited resources, and will continue to do so. But not everything will go to plan all the time, and this jumping up and down and shouting for change for changes sake is pointless.

But even without Fred we had strikers who KNEW where the goal was. Goater & Gray chipped in with a fair few, something Charlie Mac, Harrold et al just don't do!

And a good team is something we just aren't at the moment.

while ignoring the evidence and the reality that we are a SMALL CLUB punching above our weight?

Based on this statement, the likes of Walsall, Brighton, Orient, Swindon, Crewe et al are all also punching above their weight. Is this what you are implying?

When will people shake off this English disease of being content to support the game loser.
Football wise, we are (or should be) head and shoulders above most teams in this most poor of leagues...why is it so difficult for you to comprehend people's aggrivation on this board and at Roots Hall due to us playing some of the worst football since the Wignall days?

Based on this statement, the likes of Walsall, Brighton, Orient, Swindon, Crewe et al are all also punching above their weight. Is this what you are implying?

When will people shake off this English disease of being content to support the game loser.
Football wise, we are (or should be) head and shoulders above most teams in this most poor of leagues...why is it so difficult for you to comprehend people's aggrivation on this board and at Roots Hall due to us playing some of the worst football since the Wignall days?

Most of them are. And where did I ever say I was content to support the game loser? I fully understand the frustration, but the cure being suggested isn't realistic, in my view. We have played some good stuff this year, and we are going through a bad patch. No one is arguing that we don't need some new players, but to decide that it is time to ditch the management, and appropriate to "support" the team in the way that many did at Roots Hall today, is frankly wrong headed and will lead to us sliding back to those Wignall style days.

Tricky one that isn't it? In some ways we should be head and shoulders above other teams in this league having almost retained our status in the one above last season, yet there's always a lull after relegation it'd seem no matter what league you're in. Some of the football has been poor of late, but it is our first real flat spell for several seasons. For me, our priorities have to now be:

1. Support the manager
2. Start defending like a decent side, something we have always struggled with. 3. See what's out there this month, but DON'T PANIC BUY.

So your OPINION that we need to change the manager, etc, is perfectly valid, but when EVIDENCE of that manager's achievements is refered to it is irrelevant?

Who the hell could come in and do a better job with the resources we have? How about some REALISTIC names then, instead of this airy-fairy "It has to change" while ignoring the evidence and the reality that we are a SMALL CLUB punching above our weight?

This has got to be one of the most pathetic posts I have read!!
There are loads of available Mangers that could do a better job Newall / Allen etc.

Stop looking in the past Tilson WAS a decent Manager but has he seriously improved in the past 2 years? Has he gained any knowledge from the Championship? He is tactically cr*p. Has spent poorly in the transfer market and has about as much carisma as Glen Roeder. Out team are nowhere near as good as two seasons ago. Players have lost form ie Maher, Flavs, Barrett and Gower. We have lost Eastwood, Gray etc and have been replaced with ****e.

Tilson did extreamly well for a couple of seasons but for whatever reason is no longer up for the job. There are plenty of Mangers that become stale and need a new challenge. Tilson sorry but your time is up!!!

Couldn't agree more...

Also, the blue voice were constantly behind the team throughout the 1st half and most of the 2nd. The chants against the team were not started by us but I fully understand why they started. It was sheer frustration. How else can we convey our frustrations. We can't exactly write the players a letter. And 1 point from a possible 15 is, in my opinion, relegation form. We are a big club in this division! A team with plans for a 22,000 seater stadium is a big club!

We were a small club in the Championship but based on support resouces etc I can think of only 4-5 clubs that are realistcally "bigger" in the league.
Only Leeds and Forrest can argue that they are substantially bigger.

Most of them are. And where did I ever say I was content to support the game loser? I fully understand the frustration, but the cure being suggested isn't realistic, in my view. We have played some good stuff this year, and we are going through a bad patch. No one is arguing that we don't need some new players, but to decide that it is time to ditch the management, and appropriate to "support" the team in the way that many did at Roots Hall today, is frankly wrong headed and will lead to us sliding back to those Wignall style days.

ACU, I did not imply you personally were content supporting the 'game loser', merely that it is an annoying English trait which manifests itself on this board in the form of people saying this season is all about 'consolidating'...an overused and inappropriate word in this situation. My humble opinion is that we are good enough to be a top 6 side in this division, and having now picked up 8 points from the last 30 available, we are not so much going through a 'bad patch' as a potentially self-destructive downward spiral, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I too agree that we cannot sack Tilson at this stage, and such talk is silly, purely because there is no better replacement, hence the move would be pointless and ill-timed.
We do however need some major changes at the back, and we also need previously inspirational players like Maher, Macca and Bailey to start re-discovering their form. Out of the aforementioned three, pretty much only Maher managed to complete more than 25% of his passes today.

A previously excellent footballing side for this level has now turned full circle into a bunch of individuals who cannot seem to communicate, defend or create enough chances to beat below average sides like Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham.

We currently have big problems, and we need some big players to step up to the plate in the coming weeks and play for their manager.

ACU, I did not imply you personally were content supporting the 'game loser', merely that it is an annoying English trait which manifests itself on this board in the form of people saying this season is all about 'consolidating'...an overused and inappropriate word in this situation. My humble opinion is that we are good enough to be a top 6 side in this division, and having now picked up 8 points from the last 30 available, we are not so much going through a 'bad patch' as a potentially self-destructive downward spiral, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I too agree that we cannot sack Tilson at this stage, and such talk is silly, purely because there is no better replacement, hence the move would be pointless and ill-timed.
We do however need some major changes at the back, and we also need previously inspirational players like Maher, Macca and Bailey to start re-discovering their form. Out of the aforementioned three, pretty much only Maher managed to complete more than 25% of his passes today.

A previously excellent footballing side for this level has now turned full circle into a bunch of individuals who cannot seem to communicate, defend or create enough chances to beat below average sides like Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham.

We currently have big problems, and we need some big players to step up to the plate in the coming weeks and play for their manager.

Hard to ague with any of that. Very succinctly sums up our plight right now, yet I still too believe this team is capable of challenging for the top few positions.

Back