• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seaway Leisure Plans Submitted

A large number of the houses/flats planned for Roots Hall site are earmarked for social housing; maybe the council has a positive interest in Ron's plans?

Very much Ron's suggestion- council buys RH and funds the building borrowing money from a Gov infrastructure fund at a ridiculously low rate of interest- they then get the revenue streams from renting the properties into the future ad finitum. If you are borrowing at near 0% interest this could be very interesting to the council whilst addressing the need to provide social housing. That is the suggestion as Plan A B or C I believe.

It would appear that Southend Council appear to support the plan in a way they haven't done for FF.Why I wonder?

Is that a genuine question?

Council will be issuing lucrative contracts and permissions; and "interested"parties will be going to the council to "win" (buy?) those; the thing is most people that I have spoke with don't want the plans for this or Queensway, don't trust the council AND think it is all to full of corruption YET the council don't care: and too many people don't change their voting.

Is that a genuine question?

Council will be issuing lucrative contracts and permissions; and "interested"parties will be going to the council to "win" (buy?) those; the thing is most people that I have spoke with don't want the plans for this or Queensway, don't trust the council AND think it is all to full of corruption YET the council don't care: and too many people don't change their voting.

Genuine in the sense that it was meant to provoke debate.
FWIW,I happen to agree with most of the points you make.You haven't really addressed the question as to why Southend Concil would appear to support the Seasway plan and not FF though.

Genuine in the sense that it was meant to provoke debate.
FWIW,I happen to agree with most of the points you make.You haven't really addressed the question as to why Southend Concil would appear to support the Seasway plan and not FF though.

Come on mate, who will be signing off on contracts for FF? Uncle Ron and patners surely?
Who will be signing off on Seaway etc, the councillors?
Isn't that the answer as to why they (SBC) are keener on their (not rate payers or SUFC) "own" schemes.?

SBC began on their demise of the town as any sort of worthwhile place for shoppers / visitors / holiday-makers many decades ago making it into the dump we see today. Any attraction that was any good for the town and locals has either been flattened, redeveloped (for the worse) or ceased (I.e. air-show) and money wantonly wasted on council-promoted follies. Ratepayers are merely cash cows.

SBC began on their demise of the town as any sort of worthwhile place for shoppers / visitors / holiday-makers many decades ago making it into the dump we see today. Any attraction that was any good for the town and locals has either been flattened, redeveloped (for the worse) or ceased (I.e. air-show) and money wantonly wasted on council-promoted follies. Ratepayers are merely cash cows.

Interesting that the penny doesn't seem to have dropped with the sucess of the waiving of the fee for the first two parking hours which was "relaxed" over the pre-Xmas period and understandbly led to a huge increase in high street shoppers.Parking charges are obviously yet another factor in the decline of Southend High Street.

Last edited:
Interesting that the penny doesn't seem to have dropped with the sucess of the waiving of the fee for the first two parking which was "relaxed" over the pre-Xmas period and understandbly led to a huge increase in high street shoppers.Parking charges are obviously yet another factor in the decline of Southend High Street.

Of course, you don't pay to park at Lakeside or Bluewater and you get a much better range of shops.

What a contrast there is now between Southend and Chelmsford. Our high street is in decline, the new stadium and its complex seems further away than ever, the football team is in dire straits. Compare this with Chelmsford that has an expanding shopping area with upmarket retailers, the county cricket team wins everything, the racecourse is thriving, all it needs is Chelmsford City FC to get promoted. Two towns/City just 20 miles apart but one on the way up and the other in massive decline.

I just wish there was some transparency and truthfulness here between the council and the club and as responsible people sitting around a table and discussing is the mature thing to do.
Southend as a place has been in decline for years which, is such a shame as it could be so much more.
The high street is a sore with very few shops and I am guilty to say I done most of my shopping this year at either Lakeside or Chelmsford.

Southend interestingly has one of the highest population of older people (in that they are aged over 65) and within the Southend area they are no less than 86 older people’s care homes.

I guess the only way we can change things is when we vote at the local elections

Can someone please remind me how many times we've submiited plans to Southend Council for FF approval and failed to get the go ahead?

Zero?....We got the Sainsbury's one passed but have we submitted anything that has failed since?

Zero?....We got the Sainsbury's one passed but have we submitted anything that has failed since?

So if you're right, the planning application currently before SBC due to be heard (probably in Feb) will be a first (apart from that joint application with Sainsbury's who later dropped out of the project)?

Can someone please remind me how many times we've submiited plans to Southend Council for FF approval and failed to get the go ahead?

No plans that have been submitted for approval have ever been refused (So Far).

All have been passed or have gone to public enquiry and then passed.

We have either withdrawn the plans prior to the decision being taken, or not proceeded to build the plans that have passed, due to mainly financial/funding issues.

So if you're right, the planning application currently before SBC due to be heard (probably in Feb) will be a first (apart from that joint application with Sainsbury's who later dropped out of the project)?

i don't know. You asked so I had a guess.

It is not good news for anyone living in Southend or visitors, ridiculous ill thought out plan.

Thinking about the car park, I don’t know why we don’t follow the lead of the French and dig down, burying the parking underground fully and properly so it is almost invisible at surface level. Cost will be part of the reason; brainless and strategically inept council planning a much bigger part.

Back